Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LadyKorihor ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 09:24PM

I know it's from the endowment ceremony but is it on their mission or only for marriage?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 09:24PM by LadyKorihor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 09:30PM

When you go thru the temple for the very first time, it's for yourself and that is when you get the new name (right after the inititory ceremony and prior to the endowment)

Anytime you go after that first time, it's always in proxy for someone who is dead.

It doesn't matter if you are going thru for a mission or marriage, it has to do with the first time you go thru.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 09:43PM

Also, the name you get is the same name for every man or woman throughout the world. It's not a name given to you and only you on that date.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 01:46PM

From what I heard, the only time someone might get a different name is if their real name is the same as the name being given that day. That is, if some of the names are from the Bible and not just the BoM.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 01:49PM

Right, and then the guy gets the secret name Adam, and on the distaff side, she gets secret name Eve.

Ghawd is one tricky mo-fo!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 10:29PM

A good friend and I went on our missions at roughly the same time, and went through the temple in the same endowment session before going on our missions, each of us for the first time going through the endowment ceremony before leaving for our respective missions. Later, he made a joke that wouldn't have made any sense if we hadn't have both been given the same specific name in that session. So without speaking the name, it was obvious to both of us that we had been given the same new name, and what it was, without actually saying it. The name came from the book of mormon, and had stories tied to it that we brought up and laughed about.

So the answer is that you get a new name issued to you, the first time you go through the temple. Everyone else that same day is given the same new name.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 11:24PM

Do you get a new name each time you go, or do you keep the same name your whole life? I never went in the temple, do I don't know much about temples. I wouldn't want to get stuck with a crappy name for the rest of my life.Sounds like the colour of the day scheme.

Date: November 18, 2017 11:35PM

Moroni is my name; trumpeting is my game!

Do I have a cool name, or do I have a cool name!

When I walked out with my super-duper cool temple name, I was awed by the stunning odds I'd beaten in becoming only the second Mormon with that name.

Had I known at that time that every man who went through that day knew my super-duper secret name, boy, would I gave been bummed.

I have just decided that this is what I will lead with if a mormon wants to exchange testimonkeys: your dumbass ghawd sucks at forming secret clubs.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 11:44PM

The New name: Jack
My own given first name: Off
Last name (not required) Boner

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 11:42PM

A person only goes through the temple once for him/herself. A person has to reveal their own first name AND the new name at the veil.

Each time I did an Endowment after my own, it was for a different person who was dead. To do the Endowment, I had to use dead person’s first name AND the new name which was different each time.

In case a person forgets, there’s a temple worker in the back who’ll walk the person out of the room and whisper the new name in the ear (the person already has a slip with the first and last names of the dead person in possession).

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 01:15AM

I was given the name of a German lady to do the work "for."

Since I speak some German, I knew how to pronounce the name properly, with the rolled "R" and glottal "ch" and so on. I thought I made a fine job of it, but the person on the other side of the curtain couldn't make heads or tails of it. I was asked to repeat it twice. Then, the person made a brave attempt to work it into the stuff about "in whose name and on behalf of," but didn't come close to getting it right.

I came perilously close to loud laughter. I wondered later if I should have tried to Anglicize the name a little, but I didn't know if that was allowed.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 01:11AM

The temple name that I received about 3 weeks before I left for my mission was the name of a guy, IIRC, got caught in a lions den.

Oddly enough, my older brother, about 13 years older than me had the same name from birth, the shortened version with just 3 digits.

My dad told me to remember the name when I got by making up a little story.

I never told him that it was the guy in the lions den AND the longer version of my brother's name.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:04PM

Date: November 19, 2017 06:14PM

You just reminded me!!!

I met a 75 year old woman named Lucy Brown! I only waited like 10 seconds before asking her what it was like in 1959 when Mack the Knife, by Bobby Darrin, came out.

She said it was a very silly episode of her life, and that people kept asking her where Lotta Lenya and Suki Tawdry were...

There were some younger people present and they were clueless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8iPUK0AGRo

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:13PM

My user name is my temple name; shortened.

Date: November 19, 2017 06:14PM

Abberage?

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:17PM

Abigail. And I should have read the thread better. Mormon men. ha!

Date: November 19, 2017 06:22PM

You're fine, RfM is a very free-form...

And it would be of interest to hear about single women who went through without going on a mission or getting married.

I wonder if the men in authority would wonder, "why bother?"

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 07:21PM

It took a lot of convincing for them to issue her a recommend.

She was having a crisis of faith before going to college out of state. "Crisis of faith" was really, "I don't think I believe this stuff. Maybe the temple will help."

It didn't. It was the thing that helped her leave. She was also fortunate to be leaving for a college far far away. ETA: WTF? + I'm geographically outta here = not an easy transition, but it helped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 07:22PM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.