Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 03:52PM

I got from Mormons you must respect my beliefs like we do everyone! We are Christians and believe in Jesus, yeah you believe in Joseph Smith and the so called prophets! I won't respect their beliefs

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 03:56PM

Oh, a lot. Criticizing anything that they hold dear is grounds for ditching you as a friend.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 04:27PM

Yep, all the time.

I tell them that I'm under no such obligation.
That I'm more than willing to respect their *right* to believe what they want, but there's no reason to respect WHAT they believe. 'Cause much of it is demonstrably false.

I also remind them that the "like we do everyone" claim is patently false.

I'm not a christian, by the way -- and don't respect christian beliefs any more than mormon beliefs. But the same thing goes -- I respect your right to believe whatever you want.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 04:42PM

Yes, totally right.
If they acoste you, definitely NOT. That is your reply.
If they do large or like: BYENOW!
It is a comment to engage you.
Who gives @f#??

No: this auto fill is crazy! Apologies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2017 06:25PM by itzbeen20.

Date: November 17, 2017 05:01PM

Yep and they say we are Christians yep but also believe in a lie to and can't see it

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 06:26PM

Maybe that is THE problem? The x thing?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 04:33PM

I do respect everyone's right to believe whatever suits them, but I don't have to respect Joe Smith, mormon temples, or mormon holy books as long as I don't spit on or mar them or crumple them in front of mormons.

Date: November 17, 2017 05:00PM

They will start doing i testify nonsense and can't really stand them because they want to convert you!

Posted by: slcdweller ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 05:03PM

Don't mention the garments. Guaranteed to make them mad. Referring to them as "magic underpants" is even worse.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 05:56PM

Maintaining a separation between beliefs and facts is essential to clear thinking.

A person can choose to believe whatever, doesn't make it true.

A fact must have evidence before being considered true.

One of the greatest travesties in science was the demoting of Pluto from it's planetary status in 2006 BY A VOTE!

Onlookers were stunned because they were witnessing the creation of a "fact" by opinion. Can't recall another instance of space science that was determined by majority opinion.

Sam Harris makes the point very clearin his book THE END OF FAITH that one cannot in good conscience give beliefs the same respect to which facts are entitled. If we did that, not a single spaceship would ever reach the moon, not a single robot would lift an arm, nor would cars run reliably, etc.

Because facts (math) matter.

Kathleen

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 06:24PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the greatest travesties in science was the
> demoting of Pluto from it's planetary status in
> 2006 BY A VOTE!
>
> Onlookers were stunned because they were
> witnessing the creation of a "fact" by opinion.
> Can't recall another instance of space science
> that was determined by majority opinion.

Well,um...

What happened was they found a bunch of not-quite-planetary-objects that had more in common with each other than with planets. And they mostly came from "further out" -- so they classified them as Trans-Neptunian Objects.

Pluto clearly had more in common with the other TNOs than it did with the rest of the "planets." Pluto *is* a TNO. That's a fact. The vote was political -- should we remove it from planetary status and probably piss off a bunch of people in the process, or let it be even though it's a TNO and not a planet?

The vote was for categorical honesty -- which is good for science. No matter who it pissed off. Pluto is a TNO. That's the class of objects it belongs with. It doesn't belong with the rest of the planets -- by characteristics.

:)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 08:30PM

It is a FACT that Pluto is a TNO.

How do scientists traditionally present new discoveries? Peer reviewed white papers and/or publications in academic reviews.

I submit that voting on a fact bolsters the false notion that facts can be randomnly disbelieved and that disbelief carries equal weight with facts submitted with evidence.

Kathleen

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 09:51PM

My super a$$ hole MORmON male parents favorite tactic for dealing with any criticism of his cherished MORmON faith: Fly into a rage. Because any criticism of MORmONISM is an outrage. Go home, beat the children because the world has sinned against MORmONISM.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 09:52PM

"Respect my authoritah !" -- Cartman

Posted by: Paintingnotlogged ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 10:26PM

Mormons do not own you even though you went through the temple /you are not their slave. Yo u have a right to think, to perceive, to think differently, to feel, and Mormons must respect your innate human right to experience feelings, even if it's different from their feelings.

Knowing another culture which this person i s a p art, say sitting next to you at a holiday meal, has Mormon tribal cultural reference point and being aware of this person's cultural differences, does not imply that to respect then you must submit in their p presence to their (different) cultural norms just because you're sitting at the table. You still get to be you established identity and different cultural mores a nd all,

Expecting others to adopt Mormon cultural mores and references immediately in a Mormons presence and act within those established mormon tribal mores, would be the same ridiculousness and illogic as acting dressing utilizing speech of an urban gangster because they were nearby, or dressing as if Amish and tripping yourself out if your car left unattended on tgge toad seeking horse and buggy when in a restaurant with Amish, or stopping having sex leaving your children at the door unattended because you stepped into a monastery or convent gift shop shedding your parenting identification enculturated in you at th e hospital soon after your little ones birth supported by follow up parenting class,
You woul d no t loose your culture in the presence of someone with a different culture and only a ...mormon would expect it of you, however respectfully you treated them. You could bring the them ham and pumpkin pie in the holiday potluck and would be stupendously fortunate if they respected your different culture, and focused on noticing your hobby and seeking some thing in common <desire to travel, sports team, crochet even> just some experience besides their identity within their Mormon culture of temple session together. That is disrespectful of folks outside tggruur cultural identity at the table to focus conversation on in culture references rather rudely, focusing conversatio n on cultural insider jockeying or one up m an ship to th e exclusion of outsiders at the table is the height of rudeness. Basic hospitality and good manners would focu s on the meal sports car engines seeking basic connection across cultures.

I am sorry to hear you had to experience a Mormon disrespecting your cultural differences and treating you so rudely, it shouldn't have happened. Don't they teach them basic manners? *****

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 12:46PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.