Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 12:59AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 08:06AM

OMG. Too funny.

Imagine the possibilities.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 04:43PM

Yes. The possibilities? I bet ziller finds maddie somewhere with lighted tassels for the holidays.......

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 07:13PM

hahahaha

Posted by: Ebenezer Scrooge ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 09:20AM

Bah humbug.

Killjoy.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 01:16PM

I hang my JINGLE ("Too Jolly") BALLS a little lower. Forget the beard! Decorate your MUFF (nuts)!! I dread Christmas. I dread everything. I just dread.lock

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 08:51PM

Your post is dread full!

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 10:33PM

wow, so completely irrelevant to recovery from Mormonism...

Date: November 17, 2017 11:52PM

Irrelevancy is key to recovery! Says so in the bible!

Date: November 18, 2017 09:19AM

@elderolddog, if you want to be distracted from reality then you can just open a Facebook account. Its endless mindless posting.

I thought the RFM rule was off topic posts have to say they were off topic in the title.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 12:37PM

I would judge this thread to be on the fringes of "on topic," according to the RfM rules as I understand them. It DOES, after all, have to do with what is still a religious holiday for many people, and religious topics of all kinds are considered on topic. The "war on Christmas" label was meant to be at least somewhat tongue in cheek, I believe.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 12:45PM

Dave has the same Easter joke every year.

Date: November 18, 2017 01:32PM

My OT threads are always so labeled...

Opinions will vary on this issue: Is RfM a rehab website dedicated to recovery from mormonism, or is it a social website populated by individuals who are either in transition, are interested in the transition process? Maybe Eric wonders this and your response would help guide him?

There are probably scads of minor subsets, into one of which I fit: "will be silly given the slightest opportunity." Fortunately I am not alone.

Date: November 18, 2017 01:35PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> There are probably scads of minor subsets, into
> one of which I fit: "will be silly given the
> slightest opportunity." Fortunately I am not
> alone.

But at the top of the heap!

:)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 06:28PM

And we treasure you for that! :D

Posted by: Noel Mockery ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 02:05PM

@isthechurchtrue, you are in charge of your keyboard and mouse. If you don't consider religious humor to be a useful tool for your recovery, perhaps after you realize that you have landed on a thread tainted by what you deem to be "board-rule heresy," which many call "religious humor," you are free to allow everyone else to enjoy the thread without imposing your perception of "the rules."

Surely you are aware of the "report" button, and possibly have not found relief in using it. If that is the case, that would be a clue. You can go to any psych site or counselor, and easily find recommendations to use humor for relief.

In reviewing your posts, though, I find that you don't protest against non-religious O/T subjects, instead protesting (mostly) atheism. This board is atheist friendly, and the referenced rules also state that the board should not be considered "Christian-safe."

Bottom line - your path to recovery is your own, as are the paths of everyone else.

IMO, religion, all of them, are mock-worthy, and they shalt be mocked.

Use your "back" button, click on what will be helpful to you and supportive of your beliefs. Most everyone here is way past being told what is "right and proper," and your lack of enjoyment in this, my response to you, should have that whole "right and proper" effect nailed.

Date: November 18, 2017 02:11PM

!!! Well, I never...!!!

You may be assured that I shall be writing a sharply worded letter to the Times!! NO!, not the New York Times, that insipid upstart! To the Sunday Times, of London! You had best arrange to put your house in order!

Date: November 18, 2017 03:51PM

@Noel Mockery, you said "In reviewing your posts, though, I find that you don't protest against non-religious O/T subjects, instead protesting (mostly) atheism"

That is because when most people post off topic things they say so in the title so others dont get mislead into thinking it is about Mormonism. For example Dave the atheist posted a daily horoscope for absolutely no apparent reason. Dave the atheist doesnt believe in horoscopes, they dont have anything to do with Mormonism, and it certainly wasnt funny. It didnt say off topic either.

On the other hand. I have seen people post things about Mormonism and others reply that it is a waste of RFM server space and resources for them to post their experience.

You said, "you are free to allow everyone else to enjoy the thread without imposing your perception of 'the rules.'"

I wasnt trying to invent rules to make people unhappy. It just seemed like that was considered etiquette on RFM.

Date: November 18, 2017 04:29PM

>
> Dave the atheist ... horoscope ... wasn't funny.
>

OMG!! It was totally funny!!!!

It's a pure guess on my part that you're female (because otherwise my jest lacks foundation, but when has that ever stopped me?), so it's like you're from Venus and I'm from Vaudeville, and never the twain shall meet, and both of us are beyond ecstatic.

One of my fathers-in-law would mutter under his breath when he heard the phrase, "It takes all kinds!", usually on TV. I asked him once what he was muttering and he said (paraphrasing...why, I don't know, he's dead and can't sue me), "It does NOT take all kinds. There are so many 'kinds' in the world that we could easily do without and be way better off."

The humor is that you and I each think we're part of a 'kind' that could easily be done without.

First one to become dictator wins!!!!!

Date: November 18, 2017 05:24PM

@elderolddog, if you think copying and pasting a literal horoscope is funny then that is just your sense of humor. Its not my sense of humor but it is a sense of humor.

Humor would be posting a picture of a cat with the caption -

"My cat got into the eggnog this Christmas. Looks like he isnt Mormon anymore either."

That is humor.

Posted by: Noel Mockery ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 05:37PM

DTA & EOD tickle the hell out of my funnybone, but isthechurchtrue, you have just voted yourself master of self-apologetics. The sad part is, I don't know if you're aware of it.

A thread started by someone with a moniker that includes the word "atheist," with a subject line that includes the word "horoscope" ...for you, *requires* that it also be marked "O/T" in order not to "mislead" you into thinking that the thread is about rfm.

Okay, this would mean that you have officially sacrificed your credibility on the altar of "makin' crap up."

It's not burnt to a crisp yet, but you seem headed in that direction. I am not here to hurt your feelings, critique you or otherwise harm you. If you were my brother or sister, I would grab you by the lapels, stare you in the eye, and tell you to knock it off. There's a wonderful group of people here to help you. It is evident that you are not lacking an ability to reason, though it seems, you seem willing to treat others as if they do.

Some days, the funny stuff on this site, the sheer wit and resourcefulness, helps keep my nose above the water. Do you care what others might need?

Please don't feel obligated to respond. Please just think about it.

Date: November 18, 2017 06:55PM

@Noel Mockery, our sense of humor must be very different. I agree that a person should be able to judge the content of the post by the title. That is how people choose which ones to click on. That is why people should say it is OT when it is OT.

The problem is with titles like "war on christmas" when the post doesnt even have to do with the "war on christmas" is that it is impossible to judge it by the title.

Just because an atheist posts about a horoscope doesnt make it off topic because it could have been a personal anecdotal story or a joke. But since it was an actual literal horoscope then that is off topic.

He could have said, Aries: Its time to get your patriarchal blessing.
Taurus: You should repent of all your wrong doings before it is too late.
Virgo: Read the Book of Mormon for answers.
etc... but that is just my sense of humor.

You said, "Do you care what others might need?"

I wasnt trying to deprive you of anything or shut you down. I was just suggesting that people use accurate titles for their posts so people dont waste their time clicking on things they dont have any interest in reading.

Date: November 18, 2017 09:11PM

@Noel Mockery,
I guess you are just trying to replace the sense of community that you felt in Mormonism. That is one way to recover from Mormonism.

Date: November 18, 2017 10:14PM

"I say, old peach sprocket, 'Community' is more easily achieved by reaching out, rather than by pushing off."
-- Leftenant Judic West, of her Majesty's Carrier Blimp Service

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 04:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 04:21PM by itzbeen20.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 10:35PM

I'm a Grinch on this one :(

Date: November 17, 2017 10:56PM

Dave--did you sit out the War on Thanksgiving or something?

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 12:29PM

Posted by: Lot's Wiffe ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 01:47PM

Check the site rules, which explicitly ban loud laughter and light mindedness.

You probably eat meat in the summer, too. . .

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 03:38PM

I laughed so hard! Now I know what to get my husband. He'll be the belle of the ball.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 06:26PM

Or is that Belle of the Beard? OT!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 07:04PM

I thought cookie crumbs were bad!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 07:08PM

Kind of repellent. But then, so are beards. Like your face is covered with pubic hair.

There, I said it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.