Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 06:34PM

They're "considered safe," so long as they stay off the streets and indoors out of sight during a military takeover.

Can you imagine the horror?

What the hell?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900004064/mormon-missionaries-in-zimbabwe-safe-ordered-to-stay-indoors-during-military-takeover.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 06:57PM

I served in Jamaica in the early 80's. One day, they increased the price of gasoline from about $3 Jamaican to about $12 Jamaican, overnight.

We got gas the night before the change. The next morning we went out in our van and found burning cars in the streets, barricades, people running around with guns and machetes, etc. Like a war zone. We asked someone what was up and the reply was "Reagan raised the gas". Of course Reagan had nothing to do with it, but anyway, they were rioting and fighting in the streets.

We had to stay in our apartment for over a week until it died down. For that week, we listened to gun battles, machine guns even, all through the night and even in the day. One day it was near the empty grocery store just a few blocks away, another it was just over the hill, maybe 1/4 mile away. The radio was full of reports of people at the hospitals with gunshot wounds.

I didn't feel scared or unsafe, maybe I was too young and full of invincibility, but it was quite the experience....and it gave us a break from the work. We watched TV, played frisbee, worked out, napped, sat by the backyard pool and occasionally slipped into the shallow kiddie pool end to cool off, etc.

Date: November 15, 2017 08:41PM

That would've been beyond frightening IMO. Were your parents able to contact you during that time? Or were you still barred from contacting them?

My birth son served his mission in Jamaica. His was late 1990's. He went inactive afterwards, and became either agnostic or atheist. It was his "coming of age" on the lie that is Mormonism.

Posted by: slammingsam ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 07:01PM

I could be wrong but I think you'll find that this takeover is not a threat to the average Zimbabwean - it's an attempt by the military to rid the country of certain corrupt advisors to the ninety-three year old president. I've wondered for years why the Zimbabwean people have put up with the corrupt regime that has ruined the country. Now, apparently, the military has had enough and is taking action - and I would imagine, with the full approval of the people.The missionaries should be fine.

Date: November 15, 2017 08:43PM

I hope so, for their sake. I can't imagine being that young and far away from their family cut off from all contact in a war zone. Their garments aren't going to protect them from warmongers.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 09:33PM

Like Jonny the Smoke, they will have a great mission story to tell for the rest of their lives, whether they stay in the church or get out.

I agree it does sound scary. Relieves the monotony of a mission day though.

Date: November 16, 2017 08:09AM

I feel bad for those young missionaries and their families back home, for being put in harm's way ill prepared to handle it.

I doubt I'd have been as cavalier as Jonny the Smoke was about being basically under house arrest, for his own safety.

That was the real world though, as opposed to the mythology Mormon mishies are otherwise dedicated in promoting. They're much too young to know what they're signing up for. Theirs is not a fully informed decision they make, if at all.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 08:35AM

Mugabe was a corrupt thug. The country is probably going to be safer under military rule. See also the Philippines, Russia, Columbia, all of which have plenty of missionaries. A military coup would be a step up. I was in Brazil when a military dictatorship took over. We hardly noticed.

Take a deep breath. The sky is not falling. Taking a cab in a third world country is probably more dangerous, and that's not extremely dangerous.

The most dangerous part of a mission is the depression from having to sell a bogus religion

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 01:08PM

Very likely bought some favors to allow their recruiting operations in such a place with such a dictator.

Date: November 21, 2017 01:13PM

Like the grounds purchase for another future temple? (Kickback!)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 01:47PM

Aren't you surprised that Mormons have missionaries in this very troubled country? I'm not. I was in Democratic Republic of Congo during three such military crises, where people (mostly cops and soldier) were being killed on the streets; the church did nothing for the hapless missionaries, and the mission president and his Utah homies were clueless. I wrote church security and scolded them, as did another LDS colleague. So church security invited me to come in and talk to them next time I was in Utah. I took them up on it, but all they did was show me around and try to sell me on the idea of how concerned they were. It seems I may have convinced them to get the new babes in the woods a fortnight of training in South Africa, but they still continued to send them to DRC, and.provide no security for the next outbreak--which has currently been playing out for months as the president of the republic is transitioning to dictator for life.

(No shit, this really happened:. In the first round of violence, three pair of senior missionaries took videos from the mission president's 5th floor balcony, capturing a guy getting injured in an RPG explosion. On the video, they were laughing nand hooting. Finally, an RPG round exploded against the wall on the other side of the building, right next to the mission president's bedroom window. Shrapnel shredded an upholstered chair, the wardrobe, and the door frame. Then they all finally took shelter on the floor in the hallway, and called the embassy regional security officer for help. They were not aware that embassies offer no such help, and that security personnel are there to keep the embassy and staff safe, not to offer help to random people in town. Eventually, the RSO did ask some local UN mission friends if they could help the frightened missionaries, so they came around with one of their white APC's and evacuated them somewhere.)

Date: November 17, 2017 10:06AM

That would have been frightening indeed.

One of my nephews was called to a Central American mission. When it was determined it wasn't safe to send him there he was rerouted to the Las Vegas mission instead - where he served out his two years.

In places like Zimbabwe or the DRC where instability is the norm not the exception it does make me wonder where the heck the church's priorities are? Because it isn't the safety or security of its missionaries underfoot.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 10:17AM

It happened to me three times (Thailand, 1970s). Three attempted coups, two successful. I remember one morning I woke up in a constitutional democracy and went to bed that night in a military dictatorship.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 12:27PM

Oh, the fascinating stories you must have!!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 08:19PM

There was the day when my companion and I were arrested and accused of being communists. At the time, the country was under martial law, and any police officer could jail anyone for up to six months without any charges. Luckily, we were able to convince the officers (six of them) that we were just missionaries.

I wasn't frightened, because I "knew" that gawd would protect me.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 02:10PM

Young LDS should NOT be sent to Zimbabwe. It has been run by a corrupt, murderous dictator for nearly 40 years. It was once a beautiful country but is a crisis zone now. It is not safe for anybody, least of all a white person...

Date: November 18, 2017 08:30AM

It boggles the mind why LDS Inc would send its young adults to Zimbabwe under such conditions.

Or why parents send them off, with their blessing. It's absolutely insane.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 01:13PM

Boggling that most missionaries are young white guys from Utah. Does Mugabe have an exemption for white people if they're from Utah or otherwise Mormon?

Date: November 21, 2017 01:17PM

I would think they're more visible (and hence less safe,) than other visitors to that part of the globe, what with their close cropped haircuts, and missionary clothing with name tags.

The mishies wouldn't receive preferential treatment by the government. In a dictatorship they're more often treated with suspicion for being spies as foreigners.

Who gets called to go to Zimbabwe? It seems like a hell hole of a place to serve a mission.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 08:02PM

Countries in eastern Africa are currently hit by The Plague.

No way would I let a son/daughter go into any African country.

Date: November 18, 2017 08:31AM

Not if they want them to come back.

Date: November 18, 2017 08:27AM

Mugabe refuses to step down though under house arrest.

At 93, do you think the military takeover is going to let him slip away quietly say into exile, or will they take him out?

A coup is only as successful as the leaders who're replaced.

Replacing a dictator with a police state isn't exactly a victory celebration IMO.

Date: November 21, 2017 12:00PM

Mugabe finally steps down, after military seizes power from him. His vice president is replacing him.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/africa/robert-mugabe-resigns-zimbabwe-president/index.html

I wonder how well this bodes for the missionaries?

Date: November 21, 2017 12:14PM

Come read this and let's see what one set of boots on the ground has to say...

http://kjb-zimbabwe.blogspot.com

Date: November 21, 2017 12:36PM

The missionary blogger is far removed from the capitol of Zimbabwe.

That would be the most volatile place at the moment while the transition of power is taking place.

The Canadian government issued this warning four days ago:

"Zimbabwe - Exercise a high degree of caution

Exercise a high degree of caution in Zimbabwe. The security situation could deteriorate rapidly due to the uncertain political situation.

Safety and security
Following military action on November 14-15, 2017, the situation remains calm but tense. A general strike may occur on November 22, which may disrupt local businesses and public transportation. Demonstrations could occur at any time. If you are in Harare, avoid gatherings and military personnel and monitor the media. If you can do so safely, consider getting a supply of food and bottled water.
Border with Mozambique

Do not stray from the main tourist areas near the border with Mozambique, since landmines and unexploded munitions still present a danger in this region.

Crime

Crime, exacerbated by a very difficult economic situation, remains a serious problem for foreign visitors and residents alike.

Street crime, such as muggings, house robberies, passport theft, carjacking, pickpocketing and bag snatching is common. Ensure that your personal belongings and travel documents are secure, particularly in crowded places, and carry a photocopy of your passport. You should be particularly cautious when leaving banks and automated banking machines (ABMs).

Remain vigilant, avoid travelling alone at all times and avoid walking after dark, including in the larger cities such as Harare and Bulawayo, as well as at tourist sites such as Victoria Falls, Pungwe Falls, Mterazi Falls, and the Honde Falls.

Exercise a high degree of caution when travelling to rural areas where violence over forced farm redistribution may occur. Central and local authorities in some rural areas occasionally respond to outsiders with suspicion and hostility.

Demonstrations and civil unrest

Demonstrations occur and have the potential to suddenly turn violent. Demonstrations in and around the city of Harare and at the border with South Africa have increased since June 2016, leading to rioting and violent clashes between protestors and police. Harare’s Central Business District is usually the area most affected by these demonstrations. Protestors have blocked roads for extended periods of time and border crossings may close without notice. The security situation could deteriorate suddenly. Avoid all demonstrations and public gatherings, follow the advice of local authorities and monitor local media and social media."

If the morg were truly responsible for the welfare of its missionaries they'd be homebound on the next plane. The cult has sent them into a warzone.

Date: November 21, 2017 12:39PM

Huh! I must have missed that part.

Date: November 21, 2017 01:50PM

You served a mission, right?

Would you have jumped at the prospect of going to Zimbabwe?

The church really has no safety net in place for these kids.

Date: November 21, 2017 02:47PM

I served a mission. I'm sure all the 2nd and 3rd world RMs have their stories. Heck, some sections of the USA are hell holes.

I've never been to Africa. I've read a lot of mishie blogs from all over the world, and used to screen grab interesting photos. Too date I am not aware of any mishie deaths in Africa. Could I have missed some? Sure.

The kid said, "To be honest, here in Bulawayo nothing happened. We are safe and we feel safe. No violence, and no problems for missionaries. Even on the day we stayed inside it was peaceful. The only difference is the people are talking a lot about the situation and are glued to the TV to know what is happening, at least those who have TV's. Many people were happy and celebrating about what was happening, and many people were drunk throughout the country. Many people went to Harare to join the protest. The craziest part is in Harare with a very strong army presence and tons of people marching in protest. Harare is really the only place that has been affected, at least so far. I was able to catch some of the news headlines when we visited members and investigators. Except for the one day inside missionary work was as normal as ever for us."

His was the only blog up to date. One kid stopped blogging because he got sent home sick. There were no explanations for the other blogs not being up to date... Usually it's because of the laziness of the parent-blog keepers. But of the four that I read, there was never any hint that they were in fear or felt they were in danger.

My grandson has been threatened (by drunks, but still...) and they've been burgled, which I'm told leaves a scary feeling, but seems to be pleased about being able to report these 'adventures'.

As I mentioned previously, being a mormon missionary is no more dangerous than a whole slew of careers choices. And it's a right of passage. I have two more grandsons and they are separated by enough years that they will each take their dad's suit on their missions, when the current grandson brings it home. I've been invited to send down the London Fog overcoat I wore on my mission, but never did get around to it. He wouldn't have needed it much. But if one of the other grandsons goes to a cold weather mission, I will.

It's a mormon thing to be thrilled at how dangerous the kids' missions are. It is a blatant lie to say that mormons don't care where their kids get sent; I believe that the greater the sacrifice is perceived, the prouder the stupid parents are.

And yeah, I took pride in being able to describe and show photos of the great poverty I saw. No real danger back then, but lots of poverty...

To answer your direct question: I don't believe in missions in terms of proselyting, but I sure do understand that a whole lot of mormon parents, maybe even a big majority of TBM parents, would definitely be happy with that call for their kids, and to the degree they relied on ghawd, would have suffered worrying. when my oldest atheist boy said he and his Japanese/American girlfriend were going to spend two months in Japan, like any parent, I both worried and exulted. Mormon parents of missionaries are probably the same.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.