Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 03:54PM

I agree the sentences are unbelievably lenient (as so often occurs in Canada).

Not only did the parents fail to do what a prudent person would do (take a sick child to a medical doctor) but when you read the details of the child's suffering (body so stiff he couldn't sit in a car seat) and other details of the suffering that accompanies the process of dying from meningitis, you must conclude the parents need sentences that would better fit the crime of their appalling and ridiculously stupid neglect. They even had a friend (who was a nurse) tell them the child may have meningitis. They had test results (from what I don't know) that were positive for meningitis. You don't have to be an MD to know that this requires urgent and professional medical care.

That poor little child.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 04:02PM

Wow.
Poor kid's body so rigid he couldn't sit in a seat, and the mother takes him out for: echinacea.

Criminally stupid.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 04:35PM

Echinacea, member of the daisy family, one of the. OST allergy causing plants.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 04:14PM

"Your right to practice your religious hoodoo ends when your child's well-being is on the line?"

If that isn't quite right (and I know it isn't), the jurors in Lethbridge got it right, all the same.

How refreshing, to read a story that reaffirms that the entire world hasn't gone crazy. Way too much of it, perhaps, but there are still apparently some of us who are stubbornly clinging to what used to be called "common sense."

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 05:38PM

"The jury was overwhelmed by medical evidence.” Those damn facts again.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 01:02PM

I'm reminded of the young man on trial for killing his parents, who asked for sympathy, because he was an orphan.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 02:14PM

Blind faith and pseudoscience are a sometimes deadly mixture...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 07:33AM

Where the mom received three years in prison for not taking her seven year old son to the doctor when he was suffering from strep throat. She was sentenced Saturday.

What is it with these parents they ignore the critical signs a normal person would know right away to seek out medical attention?

"Ryan was bed ridden at home for 10 days in March 2013. During that time, Lovett gave him dandelion tea and oil of oregano to treat his infection.

Ryan's symptoms included swollen lymph nodes, oozing ears and jaundiced eyes at the time of his death, reports said.

The infection caused the organs in his body to fail. Lovett said she thought he had a cold or a flu.

Eidsvik said during the trial that Lovett "gambled away" Ryan's life by treating him herself and not seeking medical help."

There's just no excuse whatsoever for that kind of negligence.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-sentenced-3-years-son-171550695.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 07:34AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 05:44PM

By the way, off topic here, but how you doin', Lthe R? You are loved and appreciated here. Best wishes to you and yours always.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 10:09PM

OK. Lonely. Kinda laying low.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 09:24PM

Boy this hits close to home right now for me.

I have an eight year old granddaughter who has extreme salt craving. Her mother is a believer in alternative medicine, no vaccines, herbs, etc., so she finally took her to a naturopath. She took some tests and found the child's blood was lacking in potassium and one other substance. The naturopath was humble enough to admit her limitations and recommended she take her to a pediatrician.

So she takes her to a local "natural occupational therapist" who offers therapies for the same list of diseases that snake oil might treat. A little acupuncture just might "clear" her system. I comment "good luck with that." and she shoots back "WTF mom, I thought I could count on you for support!" I text back, "I would love it if acupuncture and massage can cure her of her desire to spend her days hugging a little bowl of salt and dipping her finger in it."

At this point I am furious. I can't understand how a child I raised could be so careless with this little girl's health. One of my other daughters lets me rant and express my feelings.

Well, this morning I casually suggested she make an appointment with Seattle's Children. I had been researching salt craving and learned (with ONE google search) that the most common disease related was Addison's. SHE AGREED!!!!

I cannot tell you how relieved I feel.

Kathleen

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.