Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:42PM

In a recent temple endowment video from "newnameNoah," it showed the congregation doing the "O, God! Hear the words of my mouth!" token while they were seated. I swear that in my day, we all had to stand and do that. Is my memory just bad, or have they changed something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:52PM

I think I also remember that we had to stand. Maybe Tom revelated that it's okay to sit now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 07:53PM by sunbeep.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:52PM

Maybe that was when the prayer circle was doing the chant. For that part of the ritual the audience sits quietly while those in the circle chant and make signs. When everyone makes the oath everyone stands, except those in wheelchairs, etc. I was an ordinance worker five or six years ago and I don't think anything has changed since then. BTW I resigned in 2014.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 10:24AM by Tom Padley.

Posted by: billyandjane ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 09:21PM

I'm not sure when they stopped making you stand to perform the tokens but it's been quite a while. No standing except to receive the special handshakes now.

Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 01:42PM

They made several changes since 2005.
No more creepy naked touching during the initiatory ceremony.
Newer movies (at least 3 different ones with different actors and locations)
70% less standing up and sitting down.

Posted by: kairos ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 08:50AM

what is the most weird temple activity?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 11:42AM

Seriously, you do the pay lay ale sitting down? Course I haven't been since long before they changed it from the adamic language and now do the English translation (ohgawdhearthewordsofmymouth), but I KNOW we stood up to do it, along with all the accompanying signs, tokens and penalties. Used to be that at least people got a little bit of a workout with all the stand up - sit down - slit your throat - rip your heart out - lather, rinse, repeat stuff.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 11:50AM

Making the 4 signs are now in the sitting position. Receiving the token is still in the Standing position. Was changed maybe 10 years ago? not sure but was recent.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 03:50AM

Maybe with the rate of decline in the temple ceremony over years and decades, some day the endowment ceremony will consist of just the movie, with popcorn served, and a special handshake on the way in to the celestial room. It's a pretty damned expensive movie if you ask me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 09:21AM

This might have to do with lowered temple attendance, and the aging of the population that actually goes.

The old folks can't handle all that standing. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.