Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 02:34PM

I stopped wearing my garments a couple of years ago and pitched them a few months later, but for some reason I have hung on to my temple clothing, until this morning, I finally put them in a plastic bag and set them in the pile of stuff destined for the DI, though I probably should just put them in the trash.

I have always hated going to the temple but was never willing to admit it, even to myself, for fear of being a bad priesthood holder. It was liberating to finally close this chapter of my life and it put me in a very good mood afterward.

As I was typing this, it just occurred to me that the green fig-leaf apron was my Dads and was given to me by my mom when I went through the temple for the first time. It was hand-made by his grandmother. Dang it, I can’t toss out a family heirloom.

Sigh,…

While I want to put the past in the past, I guess I can keep just this one weird part of my heritage in my life, if nothing else than for historical reasons. Dang it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 04:10PM

That green fig leaf apron would look mighty fine fluttering in the breeze from the top of a flagpole.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 04:22PM

I'm with ya.

Mine was given to me by my mom shortly before her death, so I don't want to toss it.

It has a place of honor in the house, in the same drawer as all the other aprons and hot pads.

Date: November 15, 2017 01:32PM

Use the apron as an apron? That's a good idea. Maybe I'll sew some pockets on it to hold wood screws and nails. Then it will do me some real good.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 02:29PM

That just made my day. I was just thinking about a friend who wore hers while preparing some food for movie night weekend. Her boyfriend wore the bakers hat and his fig leaf apron while baking us some brownies.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 04:36PM

My apron is the old style that looks leaves instead of a square piece of cloth with leaf patterns.

It was made by my great aunt about 100 years ago.

Only piece of temple clothing I kept.

I gave my white pants to a neighbor that needed white pants for his job.

The slippers I wore until they wore out.

I remember I do have the small suitcase. It now houses my granddaughters dolls. Ironic. I see Ken with four naked Barbies and two other female dolls lying in my old temple suitcase.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 04:48AM

"Polygamist Ken" LOL!

Use the green leaf apron for gardening--in your front yard.

Yes, it's an exhilarating feeling to dump the temple clothes and garments! I didn't cut out the meaningless symbols in the underwear, nor did I treat it with any respect. Someone on RFM told me to put them in the same garbage bag as the kitty litter and dog poop, so that's what I did. I stayed home and sipped a latte, until the garbage men came for the pick-up. I raised my cup to the truck, as it disappeared around the corner. It felt like a very appropriate end to the slavery of garments.

Yes, polyester stinks! It's where that "old man smell" at the singles dances comes from.

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 05:31PM

That'll be a good day getting rid of mine eventually... Right now the wifey thinks I need to be going to the temple more to find answers to my questions. I wonder how long I can put off not going again...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 09:34PM

Take it showy, MB. My TBM wife and I separated years ago because I stopped wearing the Gs. For her, not wearing the garments was her tipping point.

Date: November 14, 2017 09:42PM

Howdy Jackman! I took my templewear and found the foulest dumpster I could find and dumped them in. I figured that being polyester, they would live a longtime in a smelly landfill.

The temple clothing became a symbol of everything I detested about Mormonism—worthiness, secrecy, becoming a god, and lies. Very best wishes, The Boner.

Date: November 15, 2017 01:22PM

Boner,
Dude, that totally sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.
That's crazy that underwear can be the deal-breaker.
My TBM wife later told me that she cried when my heathen underwear first showed up in the wash and she was tempted to burn it.
I value myself extremely lucky that she was able to look beyond all that crap and focus on all the good in our relationship.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:53PM

I kept my temple clothes in a small suitcase also, which I took with me when I moved to Las Vegas in 1998. They had no particular special meaning except that my mother had given them to me, not hand-made etc.

Long story short, I decided one day to put them on eBay. I had seen some on there before. I made a disclaimer that I didn't want to see any complaints about the sale from devout members etc.

I forgot how much they sold for but it was < $50, including the suitcase. The person who bought them did say on the payment page on PayPal that she wished me a good journey out of Mormonism. Not sure what she meant or how she knew my situation.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:04PM

Don't donate them--you're enabling somebody else to participate in the cult. If you're not going to save them for Halloween, or house painting, throw them out.

Date: November 15, 2017 01:29PM

Good advise. I ended up going through them, I put the white pants and tie in with the Halloween costumes and the rest, (the robe, cinnamon toast crunch cereal baker's hat, sweaty plastic slippers and sash) got tossed in the trash.

It's funny that temple clothes just have a weird smell to them. I don't know why. That's what a cult smells like. Or a wasted Saturday or crappy date night.

The green apron went back on my shelf, (literal and figurative). :)

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 04:45PM

A while back I asked if anyone could tell me how to acquire some for Mardi Gras and was thoroughly flamed for being insensitive. I thought they would look great under some Victoria's Secret.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:21PM

I've never been to the temple. This leaf stuff reminds me of the Jolly Green Giant . The flag pole thing sounds good, but I'd rather have the American flag; it might even keep most JWs away.
( the flag , plus if you have other patriotic items out)
I'd put the garments on the porch , to scare the missionaries away.
You can use your imagination on how to display the undergarments.
A scarecrow doll wearing them, sitting on a rocking chair might look cool.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 09:22PM

I somehow ended up with 2. I gave them both to my TBM daughter. Told her to wear one of them when she first went through and then to please put them away somewhere and not use them at the temple. She had one of the manufactured ones, too. Whether it is a temple apron or not, I feel all the work my grandmother did on them deserves respect. She was an unbelievable woman. She was deaf, as was her husband. They raised 3 wonderful children.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 09:40PM

Temple clothes scare me and i have been in some scary places.

Date: November 14, 2017 09:44PM

You’ve never seen The Boner wearing temple garb. Now, that would be scary!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 10:59PM

Haha.

Date: November 15, 2017 01:34PM

See you are naked. Take some fig leaves and make a pup tent.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 10:49PM

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 10:27PM

How many ex-mo's bother to take the markings out before tossing their garments?

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 04:08AM

Brigid, why bother? After awhile they were no longer sacred.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.