Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:16PM

Ok the missionaries are back and giving me guilt like why did you want us to teach you or I know Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the book of Mormon is true!and I said I looked up the real truth and want nothing part of this church! I am being pulled back in!I am sick of this cult,any advice how to tell missionaries no I don't want to be Mormon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:23PM

Okay, they only have power if you give it to them. Don’t give them any. This includes not answering the phone, letting them in where you live, or talking to them.

You don’t have to be mean or rude, just be firm—no contact means no contact. Don’t try to argue with them, they thrive on that. Again, tell them you’ll report the harassment to the police if they continue. Please remember, it isn’t harassment until you tell them firmly, no contact. Best wishes!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 10:01PM

Listen to boner. Wait i can tell them no contact and they have to comply? Or it is harrassment? How does this work?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 11:14PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, they only have power if you give it to them.
> Don’t give them any. This includes not answering
> the phone, letting them in where you live, or
> talking to them.

^^ I can't improve on that advice.

Date: November 12, 2017 09:27PM

Thank you and I regret answering their texts, I'll ignore them now to let them know leave me alone

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:27PM

If they call, don't answer and block the number.

If they send a letter, send it back unopened marked "Return to Sender."

If they email you, mark it as junk and block the sender.

If they contact you via social media, block them or unfriend them or whatever.

If they come to your home, tell them to leave. If they don't leave, call the police.

If they stalk you at home or work, call the police and look into a restraining order.

Don't talk, don't debate, don't give them any more of your time.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:33PM

Listen to boner.... or else just tell them the truth. They're only kids. They have no power over you.

NeverMoJohn has good ideas too.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 10:29PM

At one time, I could not get them, along with some overly zealous, no boundaries respected members to bug off and don't bother me at all. One day, I did call the cops. I was never bothered again. It was in 1999. I don't know why more nice folks don't do this. Works like a charm!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 10:34PM

Trust your own perceptions. Don't let them play games with you.

Say, "I've decided not to have visits. I need time and privacy. Don't call again." Hang up the phone or shut the door.

Do this as many times as it takes. You're the boss and you don't need this.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 10:38PM

Tell them once, firmly, that you have completed your investigation, that you don't believe it, and will not become a Mormon. Tell them to take you out of their area book. Then do not respond to them at all after that.

It was really a revelation to me to discover that just because someone calls, texts, or knocks on my door, does not mean that I have to respond *at all*. I do not need to pick up the phone, respond to a text, nor even acknowledge that I am home at all to would-be visitors. We have been socialized to respond whenever anyone wants our attention. But it is not at all necessary to do that.

It was the advice columnist Miss Manners who introduced me to that concept. In one column, she talked about how butlers operate for the rich. A visitor might be told by a butler that the lady or the gentleman of the house is not "at home," even though it is well understood by both parties that the person who is wanted might very well be right upstairs. They are just not readily available to the whims of visitors. She called the telephone answering machine an "electronic butler," in that it enables homeowners to likewise not be "at home" to those who would intrude on their privacy.

So, be not "at home" to the missionaries. There is no need for them to intrude on your privacy. Your home is your castle. Treat it as such.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 11:14PM

With a name like Crazyhorse, me thinks you can handle them missionaries.

Just give em hell.

:)

Date: November 12, 2017 11:31PM

Thank you all so very much and I saw the truth and don't want anything to do with this cult! I will say I'm sorry you are not respecting my decision to be Mormon! I see you just wanted to convert me! I will not change my mind and am done!

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 06:21PM

I asked you to teach me because I wanted to know what your religion is about. Thank you so much for your time, but I have decided that Mormonism is not for me. I'd appreciate it if you didn't contact me again.

Don't say anything that might lead them on or make them think you'd be open to another visit.

If they try to manipulate you into going to church one more time say Thank you, no. One more lesson say Thank you, no. Ok well we'll just call you next week to see if you've changed your mind? Thank you, no.

That's it, just Thank you, no. If you try to explain or justify your decision in any way, they hear something they think isn't right or something they think they didn't explain well, and will try to use that as an opening to convince you.

Just say Thank you no and wait just one second. If there's a pause, say well goodbye then.

If they contact you again, then get rude. "What do you not understand about no? I made it very clear I am done and that I don't want any further contact. If you contact me again I will take legal action."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 06:23PM by jane.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 01:35AM

I'm a divorced mother, and single. I felt very vulnerable, not having a man to intimidated the thugs who would pound--literally pound--on my door, in groups of two or three, usually around 9:30 at night. Previously, the bishopric, the home teachers, and some creeps who teach the "gospel essentials" class for those who are trying to go inactive, plus the stake presidency, came to my door several times, each. They needed organists. These men insulted me and threatened me, in my own home, in front of my children. They were so rude, that my kids and I invited them to leave! Looking back, we were too polite.

Mormons just don't take "no" for an answer. They mistake politeness and refinement as "weakness." The police--or threatening to call the police--is often the only thing they will understand.

For us, formally resigning helped. I also threatened them back, and told them that I was getting tired of being quiet and private about the cult, and if they continued to harass us, I would tell everyone the truth about Joseph Smith and the BOM, and everything else.

I kept repeating, "No contact." and "No solicitors", over and over again. I also included the request for no contact in my letter of resignation. I kept a copy of the letter at the desk by the door, and handed out copies of it, a few times. My letter said it all! I even handed a copy to the Deacons!

Now, the Mormons rudely shun us, looking the other way, and making ugly, snarky faces, and refusing to acknowledge us. It hurt my feelings (all those years of service and all my money went unappreciated). My daughter would have nightmares that the Mormon neighbors were zombies, chasing her down the street, and trying to break into our windows and doors. We're fine, now, and the shunning makes the Mormons seem ridiculous and childish.

They WILL go away, but you have to be more aggressive and rude than you would like to be. It's all or nothing. Now, whenever a neighbor does speak to me, it's to tell me to read the BOM, or to say they miss me. I reply, "I'm right here, and you can see me anytime." These neighbors are like children. We're too busy to play their stupid games.

Date: November 13, 2017 09:30AM

Thanks and you have to be rude because Mormons won't care!they want you in their cult and to them you are still a investigator!if they won't stop I will say i know the entire truth about your so called church and how Joseph Smith had 34 wives,how he killed people and how settlers were killed at meadows masscure! So respect my choice to not be mormon

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 06:53PM

They want to talk you out of worrying about Joe's wives and the Mountain Meadow murders.

It's usually best to say, "I'm not interested. Do not come back. Thank you, goodbye." Close the door or hang up the phone.

There's no need to try to make them understand because that won't work. They're like a dog with raw meat.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 06:20PM

*Cheshire cat grin*

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 09:32PM

Simply tell them JS was a fraud, con man, a pedophile, and a womanizer.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:16AM

I would say join if you want a crash course in hell and you want to toughen up and be among wolves in suits, but getting out once you are in for a while is the really hard part. But i have faith in you whatever you decide.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 01:02AM

Yeah, tell them you can read about ANYTHING they bring up, on the internet. The internet will kill TSCC by exposing the TRUTH of TSCC.

It is all a matter of time. The fraud cannot continue for much longer the way folks are leaving the JS con game.

It is all made up out of a third grader's imagination and ability to COPY word for word others' work and claim he (JS) had a gift of translation from gold plates.

The church even admits the BoM is "not historical." How about that? NO DNA evidence anywhere in the world the BoM characters ever lived.

And, crazyhorse, one of my favorite singer's was/is Neil Young who had a band called Crazy Horse. FYI

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.