Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 07:58PM

Hey what was it like to be a convert in this church? I backed out but missionaries won't leave me alone, cults love bomb you to get you in and if you refuse then you get sorry you feel that way,

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 08:26PM

In my home ward in California, I had instant friends. I was the superstar convert! Then, I went to BYU. Nobody there gave a shit about my CA superstardom. In fact, BYU TBM women refused to date me after two dates—who could blame them—they always dreamed of marrying an RM in the temple. And, I hardly looked the part of a TBM Mormon—wrong ethnic genes.

During my time at the Y, my parents moved to a different part of Cali. In my new ward, no one gave a shit about me, but yet, the church was true!

Finally, the Church always had an escape clause; see, I masturbated! That’s right, a single man in his 20s did the unthinkable! That’s right, I wanked it! A lot!

Finally, in my 30s I went to the temple. A short time later, my shelf collapsed after a temple session. I sat in the Celestial Room witnessing the the enculturation of a guy leaving on a mission. I realized—I’m in a fuckin’ cult!

My nevermo parents tried to warn me, they were right, I was wrong... the Superstar Boner (still a wanker!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 09:14PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 09:14PM

Boner you are a hero, how old were you when you left?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 10:04PM

In my 30s, about the same age as you are, Badass.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 08:33PM

Simply put for a short period of time you may feel overvome with friends and attention.

At some point that stops.

Soon it will be give us your money. Clean our toilets. Do this or other church service.

You may be pressured to go with missionaries to teach other potential converts.

If you are single you will be pressured to marry.

Date: November 12, 2017 09:32PM

I am and you have no say in what calling they put you in at all and I got sick of hearing i testify that this church is true and Joseph Smith is a prophet and the book of Mormon is true! And everyone was so nice to get you to join!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 07:34PM

I was middle-aged, divorced, university-educated, and lonely.

I was trying to recover from an abusive marriage, and the love-bombing did more to help me recover than anything. Suddenly, I had "friends." Suddenly, my "talents" were put to use in things like talks and roadshows. I mattered to somebody. All very nice, when you have been made to feel lower than whale poo.

Surprisingly, I never really bought into the religious part of it; I was a "social" convert.

Ultimately, it led me into marriage with the sweetest guy ever, and since then, I found my way out. RfM lit the door for me.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:38PM

Despite the initial love bombing and praise, sooner or later you become just another drone and a second class drone at that. If you were truly worthy in the pre-existence, you would have been born into a white and delightsome Mormon family. Your convert status indicates you weren't valiant enough.

My convert daughter was dumped by a TBM because as a newly minted, returned with honor RM he could do better than a convert wife. Or so his mother told him.

An ex-mo friend was a convert and got really tired of the condescension. Every time she asked a question, she'd get a verbal pat on the head and was told that as a convert she just didn't understand how thing were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 09:41PM by caedmon.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 10:58PM

My son dated a girl who was condescending about his not going on a mission.

The relationship ended when he mentioned something about her facial hair.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 11:09PM

Convert here. No mission. Didn’t date LDS girls. Tried once but a bishop’s daughter said no way. Married a nevermo nurse a lot smarter than I was. No kids in church and now I am out. So much for the weaker sex....

Gatorman
Basketball kicks off tomorrow night!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 11:50AM

That should really be tips off tomorrow night, just saying. :) Or we could just wait for a jump ball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 11:51AM by sbg.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 12:37AM

At the beginning it was nice, then when you are brainwashed, they give you callings, they ask for your help all the time, you become a free janitor, and you become another victim of the not good enough syndrome.
Then if you are lucky enough to realize that the church is a scam, you feel stupid for being decieved so many times by a shitty cult and you regret teaching teenagers about how a great human being was Joseph Smith.
To sum up, being a convert sucks just like the Cleveland Browns.

Date: November 13, 2017 09:21PM

I feel like i volunteered for everything when i returned to the church in my second stint. I really thought god was going to heal me and bless me if i did whatever the cult wanted but he did not. I started getting better the moment i separated in my mind and physically separated. I was used and abused my entirre life almost. God didn't give two sh#ts

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 08:37PM

I think it depends on where you live. Where I live, most people are converts, so it's no big deal. If you're in a place like Utah, you might be a second-class citizen because you weren't born in the Church.

Tell the missionaries that you said, "No," and they need to go look elsewhere for converts. You're not obligated to be polite if they're so rude as to not leave you alone.

For me, I'm a very patient person, but there's a limit to my patience if someone won't take, "No," for an answer.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 09:29PM

My high school friend is a convert. Its different for everyone. She is doing fine for the months she been a member.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 06:27AM

Being a convert for a few months isn't much of a test.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 03:31PM

I have an acquaintance at work who converted close to 15 years ago. Just coming out of his 2nd divorce (with young kids) he felt like a failure and was ripe for the picking.

I don't get why he's still in. It appears that the bulk of his life away from work is centered on the church. There isn't a calling or Saturday member's house move or Christmas party he won't sign up for. He refuses to get married (and after 2 divorces, can you blame him) so he's still in the Elder's Quorum and he's in his early 50's. Front row, center whenever a member of the 12 comes to speak.

Continues to toil away although it doesn't appear to be getting him anywhere. Maybe he actually believes that dreck?

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:28AM

Think Lucky and Badass got it covered:
They play on doing what it takes to make you feel good, they make you useful— there is a calling, god has a need for you. Make you feel wanted and want to stay, be a part of all that good warm cozy— friendshipping.
Then it becomes an endless list of what you always have to do for god.
This is where the ms got it all wrong and it is not true.
God is a big boy, you donot have to do anything for him. If we are children of god, he should be doing for us.
All backaxxwardz. So very, very untrue!

Date: November 14, 2017 02:37PM

God was a slave master that gave nothing in return only more brainwashing through rituals and firesides and conferences. It never ended and he always needed f#cking money twice a month with guilt attached to it and you got treated like a slave that gave away their money from other employers that actually paid you for your services at tithing settlement. The suppression was insane, i felt like a god d@mn animal almost roaming with the horses i felt so beat down and stupid. God will help me one day i thought.

Date: November 14, 2017 02:38PM

No offense to crazyhorse but they did make me feel less then the f#cking horses.

Date: November 14, 2017 09:57AM

I'm glad I backed out,I had a baptism date and wasn't interested and when I asked why Joseph Smith had many wives I got he did not! And sorry you are struggling and sorry you feel that way! Don't want to be in a cult anyway

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 10:57AM

Congratulations for being able to see through the Mormon manipulation! They always lie. They care more about their cult than they care for you as a person. They even put their cult ahead of their own family members! These are cold-hearted, calculating salespeople, who are professionally trained at the MTC in Provo. They are professionals. Of course they don't take "No" for an answer. It's worse after you join. I have had to tell them "no" a million times.

Don't make any explanation or excuse, because they are trained to lie against all reasonable arguments.

"No. Go look elsewhere for converts" I like this, Greyfort's response.

Just plain "No." is what works for me. But you have to say this at least 30 times per Mormon.

Mormons work as a tag-team. They will send other missionaries to you--probably the women missionaries next, then the senior missionaries, then the local stake missionaries. They never run out of missionaries.

You need to be more rude than you are comfortable being. Many of us have had to call the police. The adult priesthood leaders pushed our front door open, and rushed in and grabbed my 12-year-old son, and tried to carry him out, to go to a stupid YM activity on a school night. Both my son and I had told them that my son was NOT going, because he had to complete a paper and study for a test. We had told them "no" at least 10 times, when they kept calling and harassing my son. When I told the thugs to put my son down, and leave us alone, they argued with me! When I told them that they were trespassing, and that I was going to call the police, they finally left. Wow. This behavior screams "CULT!"

Mormons are bullies, and they deserve no politeness. Never feel bad for getting rid of them. You have no idea of the years of grief you have dodged!

Date: November 14, 2017 02:42PM

I don't say "no" anymore even that gets exhausting. I am a dodger now, no not a baseball player, i am becoming a professional mormon dodger and i am d@mn proud of my profession.

Date: November 14, 2017 03:39PM

That they are and want you to be Mormon on their terms! They send ignorant teenagers out to bring more people into this money hungry cult!I will say I don't want to live on a planet someday or be wife number 2!and your book of Mormon is a fairy tale

Date: November 14, 2017 03:43PM

You don't want to live on a planet? We are living on a planet right now crazyhorse haha.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 02:45PM

Say "hear the words of my mouth, no!"

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 06:36PM

I converted as a teenager. I spent most of my childhood in a non-Mormon part of the country and then moved to Utah, where all the BIC TBMs looked down on me. I didn't know anything about Mormon culture, so I made a lot of embarrassing mistakes, which made people look down on me and avoid me even more. Mormon boys refused to date me, and I had nothing in common with Mormon girls. I should have gotten out then, because things never got better.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:35PM

Investigators are treated like guests of honor.

Once you are baptized you are the hired help without the "hired" part which usually means you are compensated for you labor. Instead you will now be their own personal ATM.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:52PM

True. When you're an investigator, you are treated like a guest of honor. They'll make you feel important, which was one of the things that baited me.

Once you're baptized, you're received with open arms. But the novelty will wear off. And your assign friend will be eventually be gone because...their job is done!

The same when you move into a new ward. They'll lovebomb you...then you'll be forgotten by most of the members. Same when you give a talk or share a testimony. You'll get lovebomed, they'll tell you how much they felt the spirit, how you've touched them....then you and your words will be t..forgotten.

Now that I'm out...I'm trying to forget THEM!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.