Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 08:30PM

Our dear nomo friends heard a crash Monday, and found their 40-year-old son unresponsive. He died en route to the hospital. Blood sugar 600. Undiagnosed diabetes. His heart stopped.

When we got to our friends, they were in disbelief and trying to bargain with God.

How weak they were at that moment to any charlatan who'd promise their son back to them, and all it would take is money. A tenth. If the presenter of the offer had been a kindly young man in a suit, they'd have gone for it. They would have signed away everything.

How evil are the ones who play on our desperation?

I'm certain that many of us, or some ancestor got duped into Mormonism that very way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 09:24PM by kathleen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 04:49AM

My heart so goes out to your horribly bereaved friends
You are absolutely right. As a member and a missionary, I was told to "preach the gospel" to those who were suffering a terrible tragedy because they would be accepting of it to see their loved one again. That's so shitty to take advantage of people that way. I have been in around other churches and they do not operate that way. I don't believe in any religion, but at least nonmormons tend to not act like psychopathic predators.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 02:09PM

I was taught that too as a missionary. Find people who had a big change in their life like divorce, marriage, new baby, or a death in the family. I served my mission in 1986-88.

Sadly mormons are easy marks. They all seem to have a brain chip missing that makes it hard for them to see things critically. Years of being told not to listen to your intuition and the "spirit" instead makes people gullible.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 03:11PM

What Praydude said: yup.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 03:15PM

See this is exactly why i have been getting tested for a lot of things. Do not care what doctor is sick of me i have been right most of the time except diabetes don't have that but my mom does so i thought i would get caught like this guy did. If you are weak with something you are at the mercy of religions. You will lay over for them.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 01:01PM

Heard of Disaster Capitalism?
M = Disaster Religion.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 01:25PM

Yep, as a missionary in 1980-1981, I was also so told to prey on the weak, as the missionaries found me and I joined. Not only was spiritual abuse inflicted upon me by leadership for years, I also had a hand in it on others in their weak moments. Thank you to this board for helping me see both sides and healing faster than I would have without this board.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 02:27PM

Back in the 70's, splitting up and divorcing was a much bigger deal than it is now. They used to print the legal separations, and then the divorces, in the newspapers. Plus I lived in a small town. An elderly neighbor who often visited with the missionaries because she was lonely (she never joined) referred my family because she knew my parents and knew of the coming divorce before anyone else did. Lickety-split, they were at our door. My mother wasn't interested, but I was very insecure and latched on quickly. I was 14. I needed the attention, because back then nobody I knew cared about the suffering children during a split-up. The courts didn't care. No Guardian Ad Litems. Neither one of my parents were any good to be with, and in today's world I could easily have ended up somewhere else. But I got lots of attention focused on me as a prospective member. Little did I know that soon after baptism at age 16, the attention would be gone. They had got their prey, after all. And I was a mere female that couldn't hold the priesthood.

As much as I regret having joined the LDS church, I critically needed the attention I got for almost 2 years.I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't got any at all. Suicide, maybe? After joining, I did find ways to get some attention re-focused on me, though not nearly as much as before. Enough to survive. Later, I felt that I could never leave anyway. Who wants Satan after you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.