Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 08:00PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 08:05PM

I had lunch with friends today and one of them had heard of this and we discussed it and how it related to my book.

Posted by: Oh dear goodness nli ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 04:54AM

Admin note [satire from comments section of Salt Lake Tribune]

Here’s Holland’s comment:

Deseret New reporter Ella Heem released a transcript of her conversation with Elder Jeffrey Holland regarding the perceived similarities between the Prophet Joseph Smith and Warren Jeffs with regard to their treatment of pre-adult female children.

Elder Holland explained...."many church members have learned that Fanny Alger was The Prophet Joseph's first polygamous wife, having married her without Emma's knowledge in early 1833 when Fanny was only 15, and before the official revelation on polygamy had been announced.

Elder Holland further explained:...."We need to be clear and honest.....Fanny was not abused, but rather the Prophet Joseph was - he was the real victim in this tragedy. Fanny, a servant in the Smith household, blackmailed Smith into marrying her - it was a David and Bathsheba thing - where Fanny used stratagem to put Joseph into a female trap. She told Joseph that she would go to the authorities and file assault charges against him if he didn't divorce Emma and marry her. It was then that the wisdom of the Lord could be seen, as he revealed to Smith that polygamy would solve the problem. 2 wives, no divorce. Too bad that Emma didn't follow the counsel of the Lord."

There you have it. Somebody call the BBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 06:19AM by Eric K.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 06:16AM

Where is the documentation on Holland's comment? I do not believe he said those things. Please link a source.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 06:15AM

"Ella Heem" sounds suspiciously like Elohim, so I'm inclined to think that the quote is an invention. However, the fact that it gave us pause for thought shows that it isn't too far from the sort of thing he might say.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 07:28AM

Yes the poster made it up. Just read on further in the comments.

It's a good one though! It sounds just like what Holland COULD say..

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 11:34AM

So many tell me to watch these polygamy abuse shows because of my book. I'm sad enough about this subject and usually can't sit through a whole show. I lived enough of it to put it down realistically and it's too hard to see new shows proving we haven't made a dent in any of it. I'm glad people take an interest and watch it because someday they might be willing to do something to stop it, but for now, it seems to just prick their interest momentarily and they move on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.