Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 11:58AM

I live in an area heavily populated by Mormons (roughly 90%). Today I saw a woman (roughly 30 years old) with a tattoo on the back of her upper arm. Printed vertically in numbers about one inch tall, and surrounded by flourishes, was "1830." I thought "Wuhhhhhhhh?!?!?!?!?" Are Mormon-themed tattoos now popular among Mormons? Aren't tattoos still frowned upon as desecration of "the temple of God?"

This has to be the most bizarre "oxymormon" I've ever personally experienced.

Can you top it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: got2BReal ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 02:56PM

The shot glass of my dreams would be one that looks exactly like a Mormon sacrament cup!

Anyone know where I could get one?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:15PM

Just think how thrilled the brethren will be of folks with full chest tattoos of their McTemples. Complete with dual Moroni trumpet style nipple ringlets and a gold navel ring as a door knocker. Nice show and tell during the usual F/T snoozefest.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 03:24PM

There is a poster here who said he got a CTR tat on his rear. That's where a Mormon themed tat goes!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 07:21PM

When I was a kid, my mom had a small figure of the the SL Temple, in that copper color. I think it was supposed to represent both the temple and the copper mine at Kennecott. Is that possible?

It was maybe 4 inches long and a couple of inches high and she treasured it. I think she said she got it as a young girl in Primary.

I think it was still on her dresser, when they sold their house in Sandy,in 1979. Not sure what happened to all that stuff.

When they sold their house, they bought an acre of land out in Bluffdale, UT which in those days was a long ways out there(it still is) and gave it to my youngest brother. He and dad and others built them a home out there and a in-laws apartment in the basement for my parents. They still own the home, raised 5 kids there.

Mom died on April 6, 1980 (G.conference and Easter Sunday that year). She didn't end up lasting very long in the in-law apartment.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 07:59PM

I have in my possession a stoneware beer mug that was issued in 1897 by the Pabst Brewing Co. The mug is a commemorative of the 50 year anniversary of Mormons in Utah. The beer mug has a picture of Brigham Young on the front. Mormon legend says that Brigham was so angry at having his picture on a beer mug that he ordered all of the mugs destroyed. In reality, Brigham had been dead for 20 years when Pabst issued these mugs.
But then when did Mormons ever let facts get in the way of a good myth?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 08:52PM

The fact that you have a tattoo is a statement that you no longer belong to the Morg.

Don't give them any power by making a Mormon symbol part of your body. At least, that's how I see it.

My tattoo, which I've had for a few years now (took me AGES to get up the nerve to do it) is on my inner arm, and is relatively inconspicuous. It relates to a lovely experience I had years ago, while visiting Italy. I was in Venice, and Mas had just finished. Suddenly, church bells were pealing, from every direction. One of the bells, in particular, was so huge that you could FEEL the ringing, through your feet. Awesome sound, coming from every direction.

A wrinkled-looking little guy was looking at me, and I think he realized how enthralled I was. I stammered, in my limited Italian, "The bells here - they don't ring, they SING!"

He smiled broadly, and replied, "Si, signora - cantano per la gioia!" (Yes, ma'am - they sing for joy!)

His words were such a perfect summation of that beautiful moment that I chose "cantano per la gioia" for my own tattoo.

I'm not even religious any more, but I have no problem with people who take joy in their belief.

If you get a tattoo, create or find one that expresses who you are NOW, not who you used to be. IMHO, anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.