Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 11:20AM

Letter to My Exmo Mission President:

Returning to report - Last night i had the pleasure of attending a presentation by Dr Magaret Mountford on ancient writing materials and documents.

Dr Mountford, a former lawyer, presented a broad history of materials and writings on stone, wood, clay, papyri, leather etc.

After, i spoke one to one with Dr Mountford and raised the subject of the Book of Abraham. She had heard something of it, but did not know the details, so i walked her through an overview of the history, including the comments of Dr Robert Ritner.

I explained how Mormonism had grown into a $40 BN corporation and the role the BOA played in helping underpin the development of Mormon theology and Telos.

The BOA, apparently written on Papyri by the hand of Abraham himself - something Dr Mountford found unconvincing as a claim, we concluded is likely the largest fraud perpetrated involving papyri.

Not a huge outcome, but a memorable tale to amuse listeners at other such lectures at Cambridge, Oxford, and the other Classical Societies she may tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 11:23AM by lilburne.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 12:14PM

Wow, I went searching for this, and the Internet Mormonites are out in force; my first attempts led mostly to FAIR nonsense and similar silliness, but using Robert Ritner--a world-class Egyptologist--among my search parameters, I found the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

Here's the Reader's Digest version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFx5uhwoLAE

Years ago. onne of my earliest "Exmormon Activities" was attending a presentation of the IRR video (I have a copy); board regular Norma Rae was present as was "Cousin Socrates" and his incredible wife, "imaworkingonit," who was one of those who present at a "below-the-radar" luncheon a group of us attended at last month's Exmormon Conference. This included Sandra Tanner, Will Bagley, Concrete Zipper, and a number of other longtime "heavyweights."

One of the apologists was present, and his attack on the video is a study in "LDS Psychopathology." He looked at me in all serious and was clearly upset a certain "LDS Intellectual" wasn't included. Here's the dialogue:

"When you think of physics, who do you think of? Einstein, right?

"And when you think of languages, who do you think of? Nibley, right?"

Honest Lamanite...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 12:15PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 12:23PM

I love the idea that a person in the position of this Dr. Mountford has been turned on to the embarrassing saga of the BoA. Yippee. Hope she uses it. What a terrible thing to do to a perfectly innocent papyrus!

Good Job, lilburne.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.