Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:45AM

"Florida Christian School is selling bulletproof panels that go inside students' backpacks. The head of school security said he has taught teachers how to instruct students to use their backpacks to shield themselves in the event of a school shooting.
(CNN)A Miami private school is offering parents an unusual item for sale: bulletproof panels for their kids' backpacks. The Florida Christian School website has a list of items available for purchase. These include winter wear, red school logo T-shirts and ballistic panels.

George Gulla, dean of students and head of school security at Florida Christian School, told CNN the bulletproof panels would add "another level of protection" to students of the pre-K through grade 12 school "in the event of an active shooter."
The school has never had a shooting incident. "The teachers are trained to instruct the students to use their backpacks as a shield to protect themselves," Gulla told CNN in an email."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/health/bulletproof-panels-backpacks-trnd/index.html?sr=twCNN110717bulletproof-panels-backpacks-trnd0459PMStory

=======================================================

Where's all that christian armor I've been hearing about ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:48AM

seems highly impractical to me

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 12:35PM

Hmmmm....I guess I have mixed feelings.

Its sad that it has come to this, people feeling the need to protect themselves against random shooting attacks, but alas, it seems as though that is the reality of it.

So, now someone is creating and selling protective gear and will profit from this unfortunate state of affairs.

If backpack protectors are used and they save lives, that's a good thing, regardless of the insanity of it all.

What a world, what a world.....

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 12:46PM

Yeah, let's not do anything to reduce the number of people with guns who could/would go to a school and shoot kids.

Let's give the kids bullet-proof backpacks instead.
And make a profit doing it.

'Murica!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 02:29PM

" ificouldhietokolob" wrote;

Yeah, let's not do anything to reduce the number of people with guns who could/would go to a school and shoot kids.

My question, how do you get guns away from the criminals?

Chicago and New York have some of the toughest gun laws and has the highest rate of gun violence in the country.

Posted by: fromdahood ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 02:41PM

The right thing to do is to send kids to school with bulletproof backpacks and an AR-15.

that way everybody is safe

...sarcasm

Date: November 09, 2017 02:44PM

tumwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My question, how do you get guns away from the
> criminals?

The only answer I personally have to that question would take years and years to work. I'm not sure that's good enough. I'm hopeful somebody else can come up with a better solution.

One thing I do know: almost every gun used by a criminal to commit a crime was purchased legally. Often not by the criminal who uses it, but sometimes. Criminals get their guns most often by either stealing them from somebody who purchased them legally, or by "off the books" sales from another criminal or somebody who purchased it legally. So the obvious long-term solution: if nobody can purchase guns legally, criminals will run out of sources.

As I said, that's very likely NOT the "best" solution. So let's think about it some more, and get more people involved in coming up with a solution, and see if we can solve the problem. Doing nothing isn't going to solve it. Putting more guns out there isn't going to solve it.

> Chicago and New York have some of the toughest gun
> laws and has the highest rate of gun violence in
> the country.

Yeah, I know.
And some places with tough gun laws have really low rates of gun violence. And some places with lax gun laws have low rates of gun violence, while others have high rates of gun violence.

All of which leads me to conclude that tough gun laws clearly aren't the only factor in either crime or gun violence.
But they probably are one factor...

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 02:53PM

tumwater Wrote:

> My question, how do you get guns away from the
> criminals?
>
> Chicago and New York have some of the toughest gun
> laws and has the highest rate of gun violence in
> the country.

Because those cities don't have gun control. Gun control cannot be enforced on a municipal level. Europe has gun control. Try to get a gun in Europe.

Date: November 10, 2017 03:28PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
> Because those cities don't have gun control. Gun
> control cannot be enforced on a municipal level.
> Europe has gun control. Try to get a gun in
> Europe.

An excellent point. Tough laws in Chicago don't do a whole lot of good when residents can drive to Gary, Indiana (30 minutes away) and buy whatever guns they want to.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 02:06PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:

>
>
>
>
>
> ==================================================
> =====
>
> Where's all that christian armor I've been hearing
> about ?

Exactly !!!!!!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 05:16PM

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 05:21PM

Maybe it would help with keeping the kids physically fit?!
Instead of "duck and cover" drills we had as kids, they could "shield and hide".

Downside of this is if a kid had such a backpack and tried to use it as a shield to advance toward a shooter, might not be good enough to protect him/her.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 05:27PM

How about giving the kids guns, with the proviso that they ONLY be used in self-defense?

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 10:05AM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 08:25PM

What is the shooter aiming at? If he wants death, he'll shoot kids that aren't wearing backpacks or aim at different parts of the body.
You'll have to be really good to grab the backpack and be fast enough to cover areas the shooter may seem interest in. It takes years of tactics training to pick up heavy backpacks and block areas of your bulletin, before it hits.
Truly bulletproof materials are expensive . There's different types of it for different situations

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 09:03PM

One of my most jarring memories of the Holy Land was at Dan near the Lebanese border.

A group of schoolchildren were there on an outing with an 2 adults, one in front and one bringing up the rear.

Each had their Uzi slut under their arm as they marched a column of singing schoolkids.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 08:10AM

Shummy Wrote:
>
> A group of schoolchildren were there on an outing
> with an 2 adults, one in front and one bringing up
> the rear.
>
> Each had their Uzi slut under their arm as they
> marched a column of singing schoolkids.
>

Judgmental much?! ...they could have been their wives!

Posted by: lostmypasword ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 09:34PM

I have seen pocket size bibles with a thin steel plate in the binding. They were sold during WW II on the premise they would protect a soldier from bullets. I think the intended market was friends and family who wanted to protect a loved one.

Even as a young kid it was obvious to me that it was B.S.

Posted by: Pdoffexmormon nsi ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 06:25AM

Sorry to be a voice of dissension (sort of); I'm in England. No hand guns allowed, strict licensing of other types. But there are still gun crimes, an unprecedented amount of guns are being smuggled in via eastern Europe in the last decade. Sure we might not have the issues of toddlers shooting their parents with a gun they grab from their moms purse but don't be naive and think just because they're illegal they don't exist here.

Date: November 13, 2017 04:14PM

UK: 6.6 guns per 100 people; gun deaths (all types) per 100k people: 0.07 (2014)

US: 101 guns per 100 people; gun deaths (all types) per 100k people: 3.55 (2015)

Correlation is not necessarily causation. And the issue is far more complicated than how many guns there are.
But there *is* correlation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 08:26AM

Most students put their backpacks in their lockers in the morning and only pick them up again when they go home. The backpacks would be of little help to anyone.

Posted by: wokeuphungry ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 09:55AM

Dad used to leave for work in a bullet-proof vest.

That was very disturbing to our four-year-old son, who began habits like trying to barricade our house--stacking cardboard, or anything he could find, all around our fence, and up against the door to keep bad guys out.

We took him to a therapist who related our son's hyper vigilance to the focus on the bullet-proof vest and all the crap that went along with it.

Posted by: wokeuphungry ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 04:43PM

Also,

What if the bullet-proof-backpack kid gets shot in the front? That panel would cause the bullet to bounce right back into the kid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.