Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 02:29AM

It's a normal thing in our society for women to wear pants. The business world accepted that too.
Why do women in the Mormon church have to wear skirts or dresses to church? I'm not very familiar with different religions, so I don't want to say it's only the Mormon church.

Another thing - when I was at BYU, I called out the teacher couple of times on their BS about business professional clothes for women. When we talked about appropriate attire for the business world, it was always the Mormon version - skirts, dresses. They never mentioned pants.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 03:53AM

I’m a guy, I wear jeans, shorts, and T-shirts to church. I visit a lot of churches (Catholic, Protestant, and sometimes evangelical). I have never been made to feel that my clothing was unacceptable or inappropriate. Women also dress comfortably in pants, dresses, shorts, and jeans.

If a church doesn’t have a “come as you are” attitude, avoid it. Best wishes!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 10:50AM

If a church doesn’t have a “think as you do” attitude, avoid it.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 05:09AM

I am in accord with my man the Boner. I wear jeans everywhere including church....when I feel like it I also wear plaid sport coats sans any ties....and I do mean plaids of wild various types...plus blue shirts. Never white. Can’t make that connection any longer in my mind.

Gatorman

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 05:29AM

I wear pants to work most days. Pants are comfortable, presentable, and practical. I wear black pants and a black top to Catholic wakes and funerals, and I fit in just fine.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 07:25AM

Women have worn pants to Catholic and most Protestant churches since the 70s. Now, people wear just about anything including shorts in the summer, and nobody bats an eye. It just is not an issue, at least in the Northeast. I have heard people still dress up more in the South, but even there nice pants are fine.

Mormons are hopelessly mired in the 50s. I am surprised moms do not wear cotton housedresses and aprons at home like my grandma did.

Gatorman, I love blue shirts on guys, always buy them for my husband and sons. Blue flatters any coloring, white does not.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 08:19AM

Mrs. Ghawd wears yoga pants and tank tops. It's true! I've seen her!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 10:41AM

I am so past dresses. I can barely make myself wear one anymore. All my work clothes are business casual and if I have something I have to wear a suit for, it's pants. I've bought a new dress the past three years for three different weddings and one of them I wore twice. I don't think it will be many more years before the younger mormon women demand a good reason why a seam between their legs makes them inappropriate for church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:13AM

When I think about all of the money I spent on pantyhose (when I had an office job back in the 80s,) it makes me angry. They were probably about $3 a pair, and this was 30 years ago. Sometimes in the morning I would put a fresh pair on and they would rip right away. It was like ripping up dollar bills. Others would develop runs in concealed places that I would stop with clear nail polish, which would then stick to my legs. All of these ripped and repaired pairs of hose. I would *never* go back to that way of living again.

And who the heck wants to wear a dress or a skirt on a cold, snowy day, when you know that you are going outside and will be sitting in a cold building?

It's time for Mormon women to wear pants to church en masse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 11:15AM by summer.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 10:16PM

Oh, yes, pantyhose. Gawd awful pantyhose. A woman must have invented knee-hi's. I actually love wearing skirts but I wear them with tennis shoes and low socks.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:19PM

Pantyhose don't last when you have cats or dogs.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 07:18PM

As for not wearing skirts or dresses on cold days, why shouldn't men wear skirts of kilts on hot days? I do wear my kilt to church (non-TSCC) occasionally in hot weather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 03:13PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 10:34PM

I no longer own a dress, pantyhose or knee highs. I have one pair of shoes. They're black New Balance shoes that I wear to work, or to walk the dog.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 01:23AM

I've owned it for probably a quarter of a century. I've had to take care not to put on weight, because then I wouldn't be able to wear my funeral suit if needed.

When I left the church, I got rid of every other dress and skirt I owned. I have hated them since being forced to wear dresses in elementary school. These days, it's almost always jeans, plus a tee shirt or a sweatshirt, depending on the weather.

It's great to live without a dress code, these days.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 03:14PM

Oh yes! old pantyhose...in various colors even...

They are very good for tie ups on tomato plants. They GIVE as the plant grows.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 10:52PM

my theory/hypothesis is that the Q 15 guys see women wearing pants as some kind of THREAT to their masculinity / authority.

make sense to U?

Date: November 09, 2017 11:05PM

What about women with beards? How does that make the brethren feel?

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 01:27PM

Fine. To the brethern, beards are better than coming out.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:08PM

jane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fine. To the brethern, beards are better than
> coming out.

Subtle pun--FUNNY! Makes me think of Cl2's story1

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:07PM

I'd rather I wear pants to church they keep me warmer. that's why I hated Mormon churches

Posted by: Willruff ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:16PM

The ward my wife attends, many women wear pants - but this is not in the US

Date: November 10, 2017 12:23AM

Ron & I attended 'Ricks' when the dining hall was about a mile from the dorms...sheer Madness to make anyone (gals) wear a dress or skirt in Rexburg winters, but that's TSCC for you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 12:24AM by GNPE.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 02:29AM

The only dresses I now own are ones that Mormons would find immodest because my shoulders are bare. Other than that, I wear mostly pants or shorts in the summer. When I'm dressed casually, I wear jeans, and for work or other dressy occasion, it's slacks. The dresses I bought were to wear to weddings and other occasions that are more formal.

Date: November 11, 2017 03:17AM

I don't own or wear any skirts or dresses!

Oh Wait, I'm a guy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 03:17AM by GNPE.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 12:20PM

Why do mormon women go along with this outdated rule?

Where does it say in any scripture, that women should only

wear dresses or skirts? These old fashioned, outdated

rules only reveal what misogynistic, sexist old men

they are. Ghawd I'm glad I'm out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 07:09PM by saucie.

Date: November 14, 2017 11:38AM

'No Pants' for LDS women (in church) Isn't a 'rule', it's a social convention.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:50PM

when a movement was organized that encouraged women to wear dressy, business-attire-type pantsuits to the LDS church on a particular Sunday.

As I recall, the order came down from SLC that note was to be made of every woman wearing a pantsuit, and she was to be called into the bishop's office for a worthiness interview.

I was out of the church by that time, so I don't know how it all turned out, but I believe that the attitude is still pretty hide-bound about women wearing dresses. Honestly, I think that the men feel threatened by it.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 01:06PM

I kind of like wearing skirts/dresses. I wear them to work about half the time and pants half the time.

No pantyhose, though.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 01:28PM

I do too. A nice skirt or smart dress paired with a pair of heels makes me feel feminine, but in a powerful kind of way.

But the point is: it's about having the choice. I choose what I want to wear. Be that pants or dresses. Nobody tells me what to wear when.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:32PM

When you think about it, the dress code is a way to make sure your gender is obvious, so that people can treat you accordingly.

Think more about it. What would happen to the glass ceiling, for example, if you kept your gender private at work?

That's what I think the future will bring. And I'm thrilled. Imagine a world where you are paid exactly the same as a man and your name is Dale. Or Gene.

Kathleen

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 02:59AM

The last time I wore a skirt to a job interview I got eliminated before the interview started. Wearing a skirt marked me in a different age group, a group they didn't want. All the women at the interview had what looked like the same outfit, black jacket, white shirt, black pants, no tie.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 02:20PM

Dress code for women is just another way of extending their control over women.

Funny story. My atheist sister-in-law was visiting her mother (a devout Baptist). It happened to be Easter weekend and her mother asked SIL to come to church. SIL demurred saying she hadn't brought to wear that was church appropriate.

Mother insisted she could we what ever she wanted, so SIL agreed to go.

When they arrived, they were greeted by a couple of biddies who commented "wouldn't you think that people would get a little dressed up for church on EASTER of all days?"

SIL's mother replied "wouldn't you think that people would be welcoming to a stranger on EASTER of all days?"

Love that story.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:22PM

I'd say 1/3 of the men at my Baptist church come in jacket/suit and tie, 1/3 come in business casual, and the rest come in whatever. Never a problem.

Date: November 14, 2017 08:32PM

Do you see any correlation between manner of dress, to age of male?

Posted by: JudyQ ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 04:33PM

I never understood why men get to wear the same pants, shirt, and tie every Sunday, but women are expected to wear something different each week.

On a side note, I'm still wearing my garments, but I'm wearing my bra under the top garment rather than over like it's supposed to be worn. Lol - I'm such a rebel...it's a first step.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 04:37PM

JudyQ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a side note, I'm still wearing my garments, but
> I'm wearing my bra under the top garment rather
> than over like it's supposed to be worn. Lol -
> I'm such a rebel...it's a first step.

First steps, in ANY part of life, are immensely important.

Congratulations!!!

:)

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 01:40AM

JudyQ,

You made me laugh about the bra under the top...

In 1983 when I went thru for the first time and they told me I had to squish my boobs into a bra-over the top? I did that for about 1 minute. I got home the top was on top. It was the stupidest thing I had ever experienced wearing a bra OVER the top. Only a man could think up uncomfortable crap like that!!!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 05:01PM

Of course I have been inactive for several years, so I haven't been to church for a long time.

Then came my husband's funeral service in the Ward (Feb.,2017). I didn't hesitate to wear long (black) pants, with a black top with a short black and red checked jacket over it.

I don't know if anyone cared, but I certainly felt properly dressed.

And hose? Forget it.

BTB: My burial cloths? Anything the family chooses, but NO D'm. temple cloths with the D'm green apron and face covering. And, I am to be cremated, so ashes to ashes...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 05:55PM

Who wears the pants in YOUR church ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.