Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: psychic ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:24PM

"The Google Problem" is also negatively effecting the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: so much so that the Governing Body of said society has now declared that "the preaching work is done". They are "done" going door to door. It is not longer effective for them. They have been hammered in the past few years by multi-million dollars settlements, because of "pedophile law suits". Just like the LDS Church does, the Watchtower protects child molesters it considers to be "faithful" (i.e. meeting attending and those who consistently pay money to the organization). Because of that, the Watchtower has had to pay out about 50 million dollars, in about about 30 court judgments against it, with another 2,000 to 10,000 cases in various legal stages.

The LDS Church has already paid out probably around 40 million or so in various cases around the U.S.

Because of the Internet, door to door proselyting for the Watch Tower has proven to be "ineffective" for the last four years, so, the Governing Body of the Watch Tower has concluded this as a "sign from God" that Armageddon is "just around the corner".

The Watch Tower taught for 100 years that the generation living in 1914 "would not all pass away" before Armageddon. They changed that in 2010 with "New Light" and now teach that there are "two generations" between 1914 and Armageddon; not one only. The Society teaches that all mankind will be killed in Armageddon except Publishers (active Jehovah's Witnesses).

For further information on all this you can go to jwsurvey.org or jwfacts.org or just go to YouTube and type in ex-jehovah's witnesses

"The Google Problem" is not just negatively effecting the LDS Church. The TRUTH is getting out there!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:33PM

I hope it follows its own preaching on this dictum.

They're very annoying.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:36PM

Got a link to the "end of preaching" declaration?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:41PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 06:10PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:47PM

Great Video showing how LDS Leaders and Watchtower Leaders make the same claims as each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Lk8H3--Ag

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:49PM

Psychic, where did you get the $40 million figure for the LDS church?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 05:50PM

Both jwfacts and jwsurvey are privately run exJW sites. At first glance I could not find an article where the stopping of the door-to-door tracting is discussed. Links? Anything from official church sites?

I was very shocked to be approached in a retail clothing store by a nicely-dressed JW woman. She started by complimenting my hair color. Then she briefly pitched her religion to me, stating, "A better world is coming." I was dumbfounded. We were within hearing of the store cashiers. She was recruiting in a private business? I was so rattled that I had nothing better to say than, "No, thank you." But I was thinking, "You look prosperous. I look reasonably prosperous. A better world than what, exactly?" Yeesh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 05:56PM by summer.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 03:47AM

I don't know what the JWs have said, but here in the Paris suburbs, they are extremely active - I see them every morning, my daughter tells me they visited our house last week and I have also seen them wandering about during the day.

They don't approach people (this may be because of a quirk in French law) but their persistence probably wins them a few contacts.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 12:09PM by Soft Machine.

Date: November 06, 2017 06:20PM

For those who say "this is fake" and the Governing Body never said their preaching work is done:

1) Your "discernment" on what is true/false is TYPICAL of Mormons, and ex-Mormons.

2) for proof of this go to YouTube and type in:

preaching work done watch tower

3) Also go to jwsurvey.org and type in "preach work done"

Date: November 06, 2017 06:25PM

If you want to provide a link, go up to the address bar, put your cursor on the end of the addy, and left-click.
The addy should be highlighted (if not, sweep it left.) At that point you can copy and paste the addy to your reply.

COPY: Control-C (hit both keys at the same time)
PASTE: Control-V (hit both keys at the same time)

Summer (who is always willing to teach)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 06:31PM by summer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 06:32PM

psychic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those who say "this is fake" and the Governing
> Body never said their preaching work is done:
>
> 1) Your "discernment" on what is true/false is
> TYPICAL of Mormons, and ex-Mormons.

Your inability to provide any kind of reference/evidence is the problem. As usual. And insulting us doesn't do anything but reinforce your regular use of fallacies.

> 2) for proof of this go to YouTube and type in:
>
> preaching work done watch tower

I did. I found several videos *claiming* the JWs were going to stop it, but nothing official. And in fact, several commenters pointed out that one of the clips from an "annual meeting" from 10 years ago. Nothing in the actual talk clips said anything about them stopping their door-to-door "preaching."

> 3) Also go to jwsurvey.org and type in "preach
> work done"

I did. It said:
"Sorry, but nothing matched your search criteria. Please try again with some different keywords."

You could have saved us all a bunch of time trying to find out if you were making outrageous claims again by providing a simple link. That, however, assumes you had something to back it up in the first place. Which doesn't appear to be the case.
Again.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 08:51PM

Psychic has problems providing sources, claiming he wants us to do our own research.

But when we do that, his sources don't seem to match his claims.

I had a recent exchange with him that ought to look familiar:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2037726,2037961#msg-2037961

Well, at least it wasn't about ghosts or his goddamn Lebanese prophet.

Date: November 06, 2017 08:59PM

Given the monniker, I have to wonder why psychic didn't see that coming...?

:)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 09:52PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Given the monniker, I have to wonder why psychic
> didn't see that coming...?
>
> :)

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahha.

Date: November 06, 2017 06:23PM

I searched both sites -- no mention.
Searched news -- no mention.

I did find a quote (from the OP's post) that included, "...the preaching work is done..." but it wasn't what the OP said.

That phrase appears to be quote-mined from comments to a Governing Body article in a 2008 Watchtower:

"AND, the preaching work is done out of love, never judgment."

Seeing as how the JWs were at my neighbor's door on Saturday (they know better than to come to my place), I'm extremely skeptical of the claim they've stopped the practice.

Date: November 06, 2017 06:27PM

I spent fifteen minutes or more trying to trace down the "end of preaching" claims. Zilch as far as credible sources.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 06:28PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 06:41PM

Sorry psychic, you have lost all credibility now. I have seen the jws more lately it seems. They even have stands at two of the airports I was recently at plus stands in popular tourist areas as I walked around. Their website even mentions going out preaching as of today.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 07:16PM

Wow!!! Seriously, Eric, WOW!!

I can't believe you were still giving him ANY credibility!

Date: November 06, 2017 09:05PM

Sources:

(Brigham Young, JD 7:285-286.)

When you tell me that father Adam was made as we make adobes from the earth, you tell me what I deem an idle tale. When you tell me that the beasts of the field were produced in that manner, you are speaking idle words devoid of meaning. There is no such thing in all the eternities where the Gods dwell.

Mankind are here because they are the offspring of parents who were first brought here from another planet, and power was given them to propagate their species, and they were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth.

(Brigham Young, JD 9:283.)

Man is the offspring of God.... We are as much the children of this great Being as we are the children of our mortal progenitors. We are flesh of his flesh, bone of his bone, and the same fluid that circulates in our bodies, called blood, once circulated in His veins as it does in ours. As the seeds of grains, vegetables and fruits produce their kind, so man is in the image of God.

(Brigham Young, JD 11:122.)

[God] created man, as we create our children; for there is no other process of creation in heaven, on the earth, in the earth, or under the earth, or in all the eternities, that is, that were, or that will ever be.

(Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, pg. 222; JD 13:310.)

Some say, "We are the children of Adam and Eve." So we are, and they are the children of our Heavenly Father. We are all the children of Adam and Eve, and they are the offspring of him who dwells in the heavens, the highest Intelligence that dwells anywhere that we have any knowledge of.

(Brigham Young, JD 15:137.)

And when our spirits receive our bodies, and through our faithfulness we are worthy to be crowned, we will then receive authority to produce both spirit and body.

(Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 3:319.)

Adam was made from the dust of an earth, but not from the dust of this earth. He was made as you and I are made, and no person was ever made upon any other principle.

elderolddog Wrote:
> Wow!!! Seriously, Eric, WOW!!
>
> I can't believe you were still giving him ANY
> credibility!

Date: November 06, 2017 09:09PM

Wrong thread.

Where are the "Jws end preaching" sources?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 08:44PM

This thread is obviously as “authentic” as Psychic’s ghost claims.

Date: November 06, 2017 09:26PM

You are correct, the Governing Body has told Circuit Overseers (roughly the same as Stake Presidents in the LDS Church) that "the preaching work is done". Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKI5UK42jPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwmHTfS6lU

You are correct, I HAVE seen ghosts, and a lot more than that. Whether these were hallucinations, or visions (or...if there is a difference between the two) I cannot say. All I KNOW is what I SAW.

Millions of others have seen ghosts. Again, was it merely "hallucination" or vision or are "hallucinations" and "visions" the same thing?

One thing for SURE, I SAW what I SAW. If you call that a "lie" then YOU are the one who is self-deceived. Not me.

CrispingPin Wrote:
> This thread is obviously as “authentic” as
> Psychic’s ghost claims.

Date: November 07, 2017 09:25AM

psychic Wrote:
> You are correct, I HAVE seen ghosts, and a lot
> more than that. Whether these were hallucinations,
> or visions (or...if there is a difference between
> the two) I cannot say. All I KNOW is what I SAW.

Thank you for that perfect illustration of the argument from ignorance fallacy.

You are correct (you seem to like that phrase) -- you cannot say if it was an hallucination or 'vision' or imagination or a 'ghost' or anything else. You don't know.
But that doesn't stop you from saying you DO know. You started right off -- I have seen a ghost. But you don't know that. And you admitted it. Yet you claimed it anyway.

That, my confused friend, is the textbook argument from ignorance fallacy. It's when you don't know, but you say you do anyway. You use that a lot.

> Millions of others have seen ghosts. Again, was it
> merely "hallucination" or vision or are
> "hallucinations" and "visions" the same thing?

I don't know what they 'saw' (or think they saw).
Neither do you.
So to claim they saw ghosts, when nobody knows what they saw (not even them!) is the same fallacy.

> One thing for SURE, I SAW what I SAW. If you call
> that a "lie" then YOU are the one who is
> self-deceived. Not me.

No, actually, that's not for sure. And you admitted it yourself. You specifically said it could have been an hallucination, in which case you didn't see anything at all.

See how your own words are self-contradictory, and demonstrate a complete lack of critical thought?

Think about it.

Date: November 06, 2017 09:22PM

Preaching work "done" sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwmHTfS6lU

psychic Wrote:
> "The Google Problem" is also negatively effecting
> the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: so much so
> that the Governing Body of said society has now
> declared that "the preaching work is done". They
> are "done" going door to door. It is not longer
> effective for them. They have been hammered in the
> past few years by multi-million dollars
> settlements, because of "pedophile law suits".
> Just like the LDS Church does, the Watchtower
> protects child molesters it considers to be
> "faithful" (i.e. meeting attending and those who
> consistently pay money to the organization).
> Because of that, the Watchtower has had to pay out
> about 50 million dollars, in about about 30 court
> judgments against it, with another 2,000 to
> 10,000 cases in various legal stages.
>
> The LDS Church has already paid out probably
> around 40 million or so in various cases around
> the U.S.
>
> Because of the Internet, door to door proselyting
> for the Watch Tower has proven to be "ineffective"
> for the last four years, so, the Governing Body of
> the Watch Tower has concluded this as a "sign from
> God" that Armageddon is "just around the corner".
>
> The Watch Tower taught for 100 years that the
> generation living in 1914 "would not all pass
> away" before Armageddon. They changed that in 2010
> with "New Light" and now teach that there are "two
> generations" between 1914 and Armageddon; not one
> only. The Society teaches that all mankind will be
> killed in Armageddon except Publishers (active
> Jehovah's Witnesses).
>
> For further information on all this you can go to
> jwsurvey.org or jwfacts.org or just go to YouTube
> and type in ex-jehovah's witnesses
>
> "The Google Problem" is not just negatively
> effecting the LDS Church. The TRUTH is getting out
> there!

Date: November 06, 2017 09:27PM

psychic Wrote:
> Preaching work "done" sources:
>
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKI5UK42jPg
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwmHTfS6lU

Oh, you do know how to post links!
Hallelujah!

It's a shame neither of those support your claim, though.
See, those are ex-JWs making *claims* that the JWs are going to stop preaching. Or making assumptions. Or just being angry.

Yes, I watched all of both of them. Earlier, when I did my own YouTube search because you couldn't be bothered to post links.

Date: November 06, 2017 09:32PM

No, you are wrong. You can confirm that the Governing Body has told Circuit Overseers (they oversee 20 to 30 congregations) that "the preaching work is done". You can contact Floyd Evans, who runs the website JWsurvey.org He has about 200 youtube videos on the Watch Tower. He is the "John Dehlin" of ex-Jehovah's Witnesses. He posts under the name "John Cedars". Click on the word "John Cedars" and that will take you to his YouTube channel, and then click on "About" and look and you'll find his email address.

Go to any of his youtube videos, and ask him: "Has the Governing Body declared that the preaching work is done?" He will reply to you.

And YES...the two videos are of people, ex-JWs, who reveal in the videos that the Governing Body has told Circuit Oversees that the "preaching work is done". If you watch the entire video, you would clearly SEE that.

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> psychic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Preaching work "done" sources:
> >
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKI5UK42jPg
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwmHTfS6lU
>
> Oh, you do know how to post links!
> Hallelujah!
>
> It's a shame neither of those support your claim,
> though.
> See, those are ex-JWs making *claims* that the JWs
> are going to stop preaching. Or making
> assumptions. Or just being angry.
>
> Yes, I watched all of both of them. Earlier, when
> I did my own YouTube search because you couldn't
> be bothered to post links.

Date: November 07, 2017 09:33AM

psychic Wrote:
> No, you are wrong.

Sorry, pal, you're the one who's wrong.
See "lurking in's" post below.
That explains it perfectly.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 09:30PM

The JWs can't come in our neighbourhood,unless they live here. There are also "no soliciting " signs all over. We did get a tract in our mailbox last year, which is against the law, I thought.
Someone must of reported it.
Funny that this topic came up, we got a tract Saturday, by regular mail from them.
It was in a regular stamped envelope, addressed to us.
It had a form letter in it that said: " Its my pleasure to share this bible based tract with you, being done by volunteers worldwide...."
It went on to say that they had answers to life's questions, gave their web site, saying that this work is being done in 240 lands.
The tract went on about " the evil one" controlling the world, it talked about " this worlds cruel , selfish leader "
Isn't that against the law too, or considered soliciting?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 10:00PM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 10:19PM

I never thought of it that way. What about putting tracts in the mailbox , that aren't in envelopes ?

Date: November 07, 2017 01:12AM

That might be a violation of federal law, if the "tract" isn't delivered officially through the post office (at least that's what I understand is the case in the US).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 01:50AM by lurking in.

Date: November 07, 2017 02:38AM

No one is allowed to solicit in my community as well. We are a private community and pay for our own road maintenance, trash hauling, etc. There is a JW woman who sends a tract through the mail about every two years. I know her name by now so I just mark it "Declined - Return to sender" without opening it, and put it back in the mail.

Date: November 06, 2017 09:50PM

Where did I get the "info" that the Governing Body has decided "the preaching work is over" in the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society"???

Below...

The Governing Body of the Watch Tower is like the "First Presidency" of the LDS Church. There are 7 members of the Governing Body. Just under the Governing Body, are the "Helpers". What "number" they have, I don't know. Anyway, they are just below the Governing Body, so the "Helpers" are also called the "Assistants to the Governing Body" in the video below, at 3:04, Mikey and Kim (two ex-JWs who are vocal critics, like Jerald and Sandra Tanner) reveal an audio clip from a talk given by one of the Helpers. A recent talk. So, begin to listen at 3:04 and listen to what the Helper has to say, and then listen to the commentary by Mikey and Kim:

Date: November 07, 2017 02:11AM

According to the Helper in the video, the "Governing Body" feels that the JW's have fulfilled the prophecy of preaching to the entire world. The next prophecy is that "the end will come." But no objective time frame is given. In the mean time, there is no indication from the Helper that they plan on ending their house-to-house "witnessing," as you claim. Whatever the commentators in the video say is their OWN opinion and/or interpretation.

COULD the JW's end their preaching soon? Of course. When they actually DO take that step, it will be big news reported in the mainstream media--oh, and late-night comedians will have a field day with it.

[Edited for spelling]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 10:57AM by lurking in.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 12:59AM

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is too good to be true.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 09:30AM

What the heck is "preaching work".
Is it the same as door to door proselytizing ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 09:37AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: November 07, 2017 04:25PM

Yes, door is door is called "preaching work" with them.

They have told Circuit Overseers "the preaching work is done" but they will still try to get converts via their new internet "publishing" TV station tv.jw.org Like the Mormon Church, they are growing fast in Africa, where few have access to the Internet, but somebody has to "pay" for all those new Kingdom Halls in Africa, and of course, Africans dont' have enough money to pay for this, so Americans will have to pay for it all, but their door-to-door work is no longer "working" in America or other first world countries.

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> What the heck is "preaching work".
> Is it the same as door to door proselytizing ?

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 04:11PM

The JW cult leaders are always saying things keeping JW's on edge and on imminent end of the world stance.

It sounds to me like they are trying to indicate that the preaching work is now done, so expect Armageddon anytime now, while at the same time keeping JW's preaching despite telling them it's effectively done now.

They talk out of both sides of their mouths, and are always saying something that keeps JW's hooked and working harder as the end is coming.

They have been doing this since their inception. Every JW that ever lived has thought Armageddon was imminent and that they would never grow old and not even face death at all and instead be transformed in an instant into Immortality BUT ONLY IF THEY FULLY OBEY THE CULT LEADERS (ie Gods commandments as interpreted by lying cult idiots).

ALL these JW suckers got old and DIED living in a state of imminency of the end and were conned out of all their living hours serving and funding a bunch of con men at watchtower HQ.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 04:13PM by Zeezromp.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.