Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 10:28AM

I have posted it here. It is in pdf format. Let me know if there are issues in reading it on specific devices.

Plural Bride to Be by Cheryl Vaught
http://www.exmormon.org/books/Plural-Bride-To-Be.pdf

From the book:

Two hundred law enforcement officers arrested the heads of 36 polygamous households and nine women on July 24, 1953 in the town of Short Creek (currently called Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Arizona) on the Utah/Arizona border. Instead of making direct allegations of polygamy, they used extensive charges of conspiracy to violate laws from statutory rape to misappropriation of school funds.
This raid was the climax of “Operation Seagull,” planned for 26 months and included investigations of a host of Mormon polygamy splinter groups in both states..."

The book is a fictional account related to the above incident.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2017 07:49PM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 10:53AM

That was quick work! I appreciate.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 11:37AM

Thank you Cheryl and Eric!

Downloading right away.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 11:26AM

Wow, nice work! I just read the first chapter, and like that the story started out in a baptism-for-the-dead setting! And also captured the "shame" of something natural and completely beyond someone's own control.

I particularly loathe baptism for the dead, and it bothers me that my mom, dad, and brother have certainly been dead-dunked, but, even worse, I'm sure that my recently deceased wife will be "baptized" at the first opportunity. My TBM brother likes to hide behind the (bogus) 11th Article of Faith, but "baptizing" overtly committed members of other faiths after the person is deceased is not respecting that person's own choices (IMO). Of course, I can understand how it might make the smug TBM feel self-satisfied and self-important. Conversely, it makes me feel nauseous...

Fortunately, dead-dunking has no real effect on anything.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 12:19PM

I just finished chapters 2 & 3.
I'll have to set aside some time to read the rest!

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 11:35AM

I just downloaded the book.

On the baptism for the dead thread, I have always thought this was twisted. I tell Mormon friends, "if there is a such thing as satanism, then baptism for the dead is satanical." Its funny, I never get a come back to that statement.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 11:35AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 12:15PM

I hope there is a garden hose chapter.
That story always amuses me.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 12:44PM

Just downloaded it and sent it to my PDF reader on my phone. Can't wait to read it.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 01:20PM

Thank you Cheryl for sharing this! I am curled up on the couch with a cup of tea and two cats getting ready to read.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 01:28PM

Damn it, it wouldn't accept my credit card!!! I'll find a way, though, just you see~!!!

Date: November 04, 2017 02:38PM

I'll get it out in traditional book form one of theses days for anyone who happens to like having books on a real bookshelf.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 04:28PM

Yes, definitely, Cheryl. Thanks for your effort.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 07:10PM

I tried on both my Nook and my phone. Usually, between the two of them, I can download just about anything. Maybe my computer-savvy daughter can help later.

I'm dying to read it, but can't sit at the computer for long without making my back hurt.

Looking forward to the story, however!!

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 01:44PM

Thank you for posting this. I will read it later. There will be NO religions in the next life. All religions are man made that promote the philosophies of men mingled with scriptures.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 02:25PM

How exciting, Cheryl! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 03:34PM

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to reading this!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 04:10PM

It's pretty amazing when a book can be distributed world wide instantaneously.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 05:09PM

Thank you Cheryl! I am only on chapter 13 and am riveted. So much information and so detailed. Very Intriguing. Well written. I will be recommending it to family, friends and other ex-polygamists that I know. Thank you Eric for making it available too.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 05:16PM

So we have two authors now, you and Don. I've only read the first chapter, but will start reading the rest after we eat.
I'm not going to discuss much on what I've read, so it won't be a spoiler for others who haven't started it yet.
Just saying that it reminded me of the mikvah and menstruation, in the regard of making the water unclean.
Didn't know they'd have to drain the water . The attitude of the attendants were cold.

Date: November 04, 2017 06:15PM

Of course it seems a little strange to me, but not as strange as mormon temple dead dunking which might seem abhorrent to any non-mormon.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 06:51PM

I guess I need to step up to the plate and see if I have any stories left to tell.

When DH the First was in Vietnam, he sent home rent money and I didn't have to work, so I began writing short stories. Much to my surprise, I began selling them and even acquired an agent, like a REAL writer.

It's been well over a decade since I wrote - or even had interest in - writing - much of anything. I thought I had at least two novels to write. I finished one, but didn't like the way it turned out, and never finished the other. I recently found both of them after an extensive overhaul of my bookshelves.

My turn to step up to the plate.

Cheryl, I'm looking forward to reading your opus!!

Date: November 11, 2017 06:56PM

Or you might have new insights and interests now which might mean taking off in other directions.

Date: November 04, 2017 06:32PM

Thanks again to Eric, RfM, and those who took the time to check out the book link.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 06:54PM

Amazing, Cheryl! I've read the first chapter, and I want to know more. Compelling prose, my friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2017 08:22PM by donbagley.

Date: November 04, 2017 08:54PM

You're a favorite author of mine.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 08:37PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 08:58PM

Cheryl, hooray for you! Anxious to read it. :)

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 03:14AM

I am only a writer and you are now a published author!

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 04:11AM

I'm looking forward to reading it.

Date: November 05, 2017 12:15PM

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 04:02PM

Finished reading it last night. Very moving and captivating. Was their really a panther in the Co-co-mo bar? Just curious. Seems to far fetched to not be true but on the other hand I wonder if it was a bit of intrigue using literary license. I have recommended this read to many others. It would make a great movie.

Date: November 05, 2017 04:27PM

It was kept on the roof of the house of ill repute which was across the street from the bar. Eddie, the bar owner saw it there when he was a boy delivering messages to that address. His younger sister said she heard it growl and she refused to deliver messages there because she was afraid of the growling panther. I guess things were different in those days!

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 06:45PM

By cat house I meant panther. What did you think I meant? lol

If you go out the front door of the Ko Ko Mo and look to your right about a block away on the other side of the street there is (maybe gone now) a red brick building which was the house of pleasure.

In the Olden Days before the Exmo Conference went away Cheryl and I would go to the Ko Ko Mo for one night for her to do research and hear Eddie tell stories.
Might be a good spot for some of you locals to have an annual brew night and toast the memory of the now gone Ex Mo Conference.

We live in California or I might try to arrange that.

http://kutv.com/features/pay-it-forward/pay-it-forward-kokomo-club-and-the-angel-of-25th-street

Pay Lay Alol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2017 06:57PM by Jerry the Aspousetate.

Posted by: MnRN ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 09:14PM

A few things didn't get done at my house the last two days because I couldn't stop reading your book. I treat sexual abuse victims and survivors of dysfunctional families and boy, you really nailed it. Glad you released it when the Me Too movement has gained notice. Hope this finds a very wide audience.

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:58AM

Same here! Sunday - Tuesday was very nonproductive due to your page turner (screen swiper?)! I've now sent the link to my mom who is likewise enjoying it.

I love so many things about, not the least being how transportative it is. You perfectly created a microcosim. It reminded me of when life was slower, people spoke to each other and everything wasn't so cheap.

I'd gladly purchase a copy for my library. Maybe you'd like to crowdfund publication? Just a thought.

Lastly, love and have borrowed the phrase "cash money!"

Bravo, Cheryl!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 07, 2017 09:41PM

Topping. This is a must read.

Date: November 08, 2017 03:36AM

Such kind comments and encouragement!

MnRN, excellent idea to tie the book into the Me Too movement. The society has long hidden the abuse of the young and the weak. Anything we can do to shine light on it will help those in need. There's still suffering among the polygamy groups and it's much worse and more widespread than most people know.

Date: November 08, 2017 04:19AM

I've just finished it. Work is slow at the moment so I was able to read it over three days at work.

I agree with Don Bagley, this is a must-read. Not only does it give nevermos like me an idea of what growing up in polygamous circles is like (spoiler: it's horrible ;-), but Cheryl has a real talent for drawing the reader in - I couldn't put it down.

Thanks Cheryl and thanks Eric for making it available.

Read it people, read it!

Tom in Paris

Date: November 09, 2017 10:45AM

After only a few days of it being on line. The world has changed in remarkable ways! Thank you for your endorsement. It means a great deal to me.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 01:02PM

Only read the 1st chapter. Very cool job , Cheryl. Your pic surprised me. I was expecting a grizzled, tough old, hose wielding crone. You look like a happy, confident, younger version of Erma Bombeck. I'm so glad you gave us this gift!

Posted by: PT Barnum not logged in ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 01:51PM

I just got it this morning and have been reading on break at work. I'm also explaining some of what I'm reading to my nevermo coworker.

We're both just astonished and appalled and just amazed and I can't wait to see how you win through Cheryl.

Date: November 09, 2017 08:01AM

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 10:54AM

Eric K...
I'm getting old, I admit it, but is there any way to enlarge the font or print a bit? I'm having an awful hard time reading it on my Kindle Fire! And I sooo want to read it!

Date: November 09, 2017 11:45AM

In will try it on kindle later today. You should be able to expand the font

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:48AM

I have an Amazon fire. Your problem is that kindle downloads the .PDF and does nothing to enhance the print. Not only is it small, with no real option to enlarge the characters, other than "pinch" outward; but when you do so, the 'muddiness' of each character is expanded, and the text goes out beyond the borders, so that you have to move the page back and forth as you read.

You are much better off downloading it to ANYTHING else, even a lap top or a desk top.

Date: November 09, 2017 12:51PM

I did not know that on the Kindle Fire. I can read the book fine on my Android phone and on an ipad mini.

Posted by: Anon370H55V the Impatient ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 09:06AM

Okay, I got impatient and now I'm reading it on my laptop! Cheryl, you are a wonderful writer! Thank you for sharing this story! You are also beautiful... I knew you were lovely inside, but now I know you're lovely on the outside as well!

Date: November 09, 2017 12:59PM

I read it on an office PC - at the office ;-)

Worked fine.

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 07:05PM

Bravo Cheryl, bravo!
I just finished reading your book in one sitting. I feel both triggered and unfettered.... I loved it!

My BIC mother was born and raised in Ogden during the same era, so I have heard many family stories pertaining to this time, but with a certain "polyg-fearing-though-maybe-the-practice-will-be-called-upon-us-again-any-minute" kind of flavor.

The opening temple baptism story also reflects what I experienced with my own in the 90's. I had my 'moon' and didn't know it and was ABSOLUTELY humiliated for it. Thus began my long descent into the applied shame of being female.... Your words so perfectly illustrated everything I felt at that time.

I can't wait to share this with others, primarily my partner, who could use the clarity in understanding the insanity of my childhood.

Thank you thank you! Let us know when we can buy the book!:)

Date: November 09, 2017 08:39PM

Posted by: Bibliophiliac ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 03:46PM

Topping in case anyone missed it!

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 06:36PM

Eric K.

I am about done with fiction books these days. I have had 40 years of reading fiction and swearing it was true.

I need to know is there anyway somebody? can get my email address from my cutekitty name here on RfM? I noticed when I log in my email is a choice I have to enter. It is for my safety due to the things I have blabbed about (TRUTH) I was sternly told to NOT talk to anyone about. I hoped he meant only live folks(TBMs) I used to associate with? TSCC has my email address and could link me to cutekitty.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 07:37PM

I put in a completely bogus email address when I registered.

Date: November 11, 2017 11:08PM

Cutekitty - do you want to change your email? Let me know what you want

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:21AM

Eric,

I have had this email for over 17 years and do not want another one. I just want to know if my email is visible to others snooping around?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:38AM

Go to a thread that you started. Click on your name and you will see that your email is hidden.

You can also register with a completely phony email address.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 06:09PM

Cheryl....I just finished your book. Wow. just Wow

Very Brave and very raw. It blew me away actually.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 11:23AM

Just finished Cheryl's book, and it was so good I didn't want it to end!! I grew up in the '50's as well, and even though I was "mainstream" Mormon, I related to something on every single page. I too carried the rebel label, just from asking very normal questions, especially if it directly applied to me. I was the kid who asked why...not in a confrontational way but because I needed to know in order to make a rational decision. Even as a child of 7 or 8, I remember how confused I was when parents and other adults made a decision or formed an opinion based upon emotions. Something innate told me that this method was not the basis for a favorable outcome. I guess it was inevitable that I would be an ex-mo someday. More please, Cheryl. How did Karen (the protagonist) disentangle from this patriarchal nonsense? Please tell me that she did.

Date: November 13, 2017 01:32PM

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 02:20PM

To Eric K:
I wanted, as a totally blind person, to thank you for setting up this .pdf file so that it can be easily read by screenreading software, such as JAWS, the one I use.

To everybody else, including Cheryl:
The story is both interesting and horrifying and worlds away (thankfully) from how I was raised (as a Roman Catholic). I have a long way to go to finish it, but this is certainly a riveting and harrowing novel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 02:34PM by blindguy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.