Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 12:58AM

Without all those cans of wheat under your bed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 07:44AM

Mine are in the basement along with the honey we acquired decades ago.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 09:11AM

I thought you were supposed to keep those wheat containers in your living room disguised as furniture.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 09:27AM

And I still have the wheat grinder I made back in the early 70s as an Elder's Quorum project. I haven't used it in many decades, but it's there ready for action.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:14AM

Once I retired (and decades after leaving the church), I started baking. I like to grind my own wheat as the flour contains wheat germ, which is removed from otherwise "whole wheat." I buy 25 - 50 lbs of wheat at a time and like having that much on hand as an emergency supply

I bought my commercial wheat grinder on Craigslist. You might want to list yours there. Somebody would love to have it.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:33AM

Like you, I do use wheat and have a grinder. I learned to make
Whole wheat bread back when I was a little girl and I only buy one bag of wheat. My mother didn't grow up in the church and was never a "wheat hoarder". Her mother grew up in Logan and taught her to make bread. I have developed my own favorite recipe but do not refer to wheat as food storage. I choose to refer to it as a "culinary enjoyment" for me and my family. However, if you read in my post on this topic much farther down, it most certainly is not for everyone.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 04:12AM

My kids loved home made whole wheat bread.

Later in life, I developed celiac disease, so I guess I'm doomed.

Anyway, my wheat grinder is electric.

Date: November 04, 2017 09:36AM

I have a year's supply of propane. It stores forever without going bad. I cook with it and heat with it and run the generator with it to run the well pump.
I keep my food storage rotated pretty well. Mostly a lot of canned food and dry food . None of this horrible canned wheat crap.
Got lots of ammo.
I guess I'm ready.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 11:43AM

Don't ask me why. My mother used to bug me about it and I'd just tell her that I'd deal with it if anything ever happened. At that point, I was actually looking forward to the end, hoping it would come. The day I found out my ex was gay in March 1983, I never worried about the end happening again.

We did end up with a lot of my ex's parents' supply of outdated cans of food. We threw it out.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 11:46AM

I have no idea how i sleep at night, according to the mormons i am a bad dude.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 12:09PM

One of my last acts of defiance was to pass on buying wheat when they sent the list around in Elders Quorum.

The snooty president asked how I'd survive without wheat. I laughed and asked how he'd survive with it.

He said he'd have bread and mush.

I asked how he'd bake bread without yeast, butter, eggs, sugar and milk. I asked how long his family would survive with scurvy from lack of fruits and vegetables.

I told him I would rather buy fruits, vegetables, rice, pasta, meats and soups.

Brought the whole meeting to a standstill.

Apparently not enough people bought wheat for them to make a delivery.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 12:11PM

Did you ever eat one of those "Wheat cakes"? My ex-TBM wife made some with her Mormon approved wheat grinder. Wow, the taste was very bland but talk about cleaning out your system....

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 02:56PM

With great difficulty.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 03:02PM

I never bought into the idea of food hoarding, as that's what I consider what the Mormon idea of the year's supply to be. It's one thing to have extra food and other supplies for a disaster, but if your house is damaged and determined to be unsafe, all that wheat and other stuff is wasted. If there's a flood, that wheat will become moldy and too toxic to consume.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 05:47PM

Following the Second Coming that was going to be nothing but really beautiful weather and ideal living conditions, except for the lack of ALL the evil people who politely died after digging their own graves, falling in and pulling the dirt back over them. Their absence is what caused the lack of food production and delivery. So while things were straightened out in the new theocracy, the saints lived on their year's storage.

It was a beautiful picture!

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 11:53PM

On it. After seeing and hearing all the Disaster stories, from war to natural disasters, you better be able to move fast, get out and away. So prepared and portable.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 07:10PM

Maybe THAT'S why I can't sleep for shit.

My MIL gets after my hubby, truly terrified, telling him to get his food storage in place.

He always tells her he has plenty of guns and ammunition.

If things are half as bad as the way I was taught/tortured/terrified, y'all can have my one month's supply, I won't be needing it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 08:27PM

Remember when TWO-year's supply was the commandment?

Date: November 04, 2017 08:29PM

Yup, I remember two years. Is TSCC denying that now ?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 08:28PM

No wheat or much of anything in storage....and I sleep pretty good.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 10:12PM

I've always done "good" if I winged it month to month. Never did get into saving up food for a two year "rainy day."

I didn't have the space to if I'd wanted to. Or the room in my budget to make that happen. Feeding my growing family was challenging enough. I always felt it a great blessing if we had enough to get through each day. Fuhgetabout a year in advance.

Concentrating on the present took enough of my energy and focus (still does.)

As a child I'd hide things under my bed when cleaning my room when I was in a hurry to clean it. Otherwise haven't really stored things under beds all too much - but they do make good hiding places.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 02:33AM

They even encouraged my dear mom to store food... She is 78 and lives in an elderly care facility....

Nuts... Just completely nuts..

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 06:29PM

I was a food storage slacker. We could barely pay bills. Not enough money to get one years worth saved.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 10:48AM

Tunnel vision tends to be the norm for leaders who live insular
Lives where most are from one specific area. Permit me to mention something that was ignored and to my knowledge probably never Discussed when they came up with the idea of a storage program Involving wheat.

Crohn's disease, Celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) all are major and serious inflammatory diseases that are made worse by eating wheat. Several million individuals in the US alone suffer from these disorders

Imagine purchasing 2 years worth of wheat and then discovering that you or a family member suffers from one of these illnesses

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:06AM

Wheat was always bad enough but now GMO engineering has made it even worse.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:23AM

Does it count to have liquid wheat in the fridge?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:25AM

I've never needed a two year's supply of anything.

Posted by: anon exmo ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:34AM

One time I stocked up with various foods from the church mill. Later I found that all of one of the grains had weevils. The other grains were fine. I was not happy hauling a few hundred pounds of grain up from the basement and throwing it away. I found out later that grain can have weevil eggs in it and so putting it in sealed buckets as I did wouldn't stop the weevils. I think the grain could be irradiated to kill the eggs, but clearly the church didn't do that.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 06, 2017 11:52AM

Packing in pure nitrogen will do the trick.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 12:22AM

As a non-lads, I have to admire those families of a RM, getting married and having kids asap, paying the bills on a limited income, paying the tithing and acquiring 1-2 years of food, working numerous callings.

Such dedication, I would never been able to be fully worthy of being a good member of the church.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 03:55AM

I have gastroparesis, and that is made worse by wheat, also.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.