Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 07:59AM

Today I was peacefully checking Twitter when I read a tweet from a TBM which said that the mormon church doesn't force people to go on missions which made me angry and then of course I replied.

That made me think a lot about how TBM's use social media as if they were Europe in the world's wars (#FightingEvil and other Us vs Them stuff), which "inspired" me to make a list about the reasons TBM's use the social media.

1) Show People how super-duper happy they are: Facebook photos of a family laughing and having fun or photos of a marriage are the most common examples of this.

2) Show people how good is having the restored gospel and going to the V.I.P heaven: Comments about "eternal marriage" or "having the one and true gospel that enables people to live with their families happy together forever" are the most common examples of this.

3) To become a mighty "Knight of Zion": That means going to the social media to testify about the restored gospel and defend church leaders even if you need to lie in order to do it.

4) To show that mormonism is cool and modern: That means having a blog telling your "trendy" way of life, but ignoring that a stay at home mom with eight kids is not very normal in these days.

5) To show that mormonism is not a cult: that means posting photos of temples or GA's christian-friendly quotes, but not saying things such as: core beliefs, temple ceremonies, controversial parts of church's history, church's use of tithing money, etc.

6) To feel proud of themselves: that means posting something (good, of course) about the church, to get some likes and comments from other TBM's while showing how a good TBM you really are.

Any other reasons?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 10:18AM

Social Media is one of the best masks for TBM's. for # 1: Put on that happy mask that hides the fact that Utah is # 1 in the nation for anti-depressant meds use, and opiod misuse. for # 2: living together happily ever after with their families, while in the meantime, family and neighbors who want nothing to do with TSCC are shunned and deemed lost forever.
for # 6: TBM's like to pat each other on the back, but they compete fiercely as to who God loves more. They delete those that they think are less than worthy of their wonderful, awe-inspiring friendships.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 12:25PM

It's all PR now---The Mormon Razzle Dazzle facade they so desperately cling to since very little of value is behind the front they project and they need to keep it secret, I mean sacred.

The Information Age has made their plight a little more difficult because glimpses of what is behind the cardboard scenery keep showing up here and there and their duct tape to cover the holes is turning to cellophane.

I liked your list--spot on.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 03:47PM

They seem to use facebook to assist in the church PR: Advertising for General Conference, concerts and programs for the MoTab, and to spread memes of General Authorities spouting platitudes.

I don't know if they think it actually boosts faith or attendance at events, if they are doing it because they feel obligated to be 'missionaries', or if they are trying to impress their TBM friends and families with their spirituality.

But I am seriously skeptical when I see someone posting about how 'excited' they are about General Conference coming up.

Really?

And even if they were, why would they feel the urge to tell EVERYONE they know about it? As a TBM, I never would have done this. It would seem too much like trying to impress people.

And guess what? They aren't impressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 03:47PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:37AM

So one of my FB friends shares a typical platitude spewed by a GA in a meme from LDS, Inc about Christmas (during December). Another friend, who I happen to know is a devout Catholic, "likes" the platitude. Shortly thereafter some ad from LDS, Inc appears on my FB feed with the message "my Catholic friend" likes LDS, Inc. So I click on the corner of the ad where you can object to advertising ... they give you some choices for why ... and I select "misleading".

Sometime later I run into the Catholic friend and in our conversation I mention that she is being used to promote Mormonism. She says, "Yeah what's up with that? You're not the first to mention it."

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 04:09PM

Also just one account for the family, or at least only one account for a married couple.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 06:12PM

Yes, because people can't be trusted to communicate with one another without doing something improper.

Maybe they shouldn't have cell phones, either.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:44AM

That would be tight to have no cell phones honestly. Face to face with everything.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 10:25AM

One of my non-LDS friends posted a meme that said "Whenever I see a married couple with a shared Facebook account, the first thing I wonder is "Who Cheated?" Now I can't help but think that whenever I see one of these over-cautious Mormon types.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 01:28AM

They should tell people how exciting it is to be a janitor for free on Saturday Morning.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 10:05AM

who, by the way, returns from Alaska today after 8 months, during which time we weren't speaking over her mother's day post, anyway, she posts things like her going into the temple. She definitely posts quotes from GAs. She has told me that she doesn't follow other fb pages as it is too depressing to her. The stuff mormons on my fb post over the top things that are unbelievable especially when I know some of the things they are hiding. I find fb and other social media depressing.

I don't use my phone for anything but phone calls and a few texts. I can't imagine being notified every time a fb post comes in. I have no idea what twitter and instagram are like.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 11:42AM

And this is why social media died in 2012 for the badass. May FB rest in peace, god bless her she did try to ruin me by rubbing things in my face constantly.

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 06:07PM

That's ironic social media actually died for me in 2012 as well I was sick of having things rubbed in my face as well plus all the nasty drama that went on there as well I'm glad I got off! There are some good things about social media but for the most part it just seemed very braggy and gaggy to me. They really should call it "bragbook.com" plus I hate it when your trying to hang out with a friend and they completely ignore you so they can take stupid snapchat pics or are on facebook the whole time. Its like gees thanks!

And ya it was also annoying to see family members religious posts we've had a lot of family members post a lot of anti gay marriage crap and how being gay is "not natural" its like wow "that's....great" but do ya think you could maybe keep it to yourself? This one kid from our ward just recently posted how he just LOOOVVVVEEDD Dallin Oakes recent conference talk on how marriage is for a man and woman only and that is how EVERYONE should be living and how AMAZING Dal Dal is! Ugh puuuukkkeee! And I'm just thinking to myself ya know are you SURE your not gay? Cause you seem to be in love with Elder Oaks lol I don't even get on facebook anymore but I STILL hear about all the religeous posts from family members who get on my extended family's like we should all be SOOO grateful to have the gospel! Ugh ya so grateful!

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 06:46PM

I found a solution to social media, on Facebook I'm a peaceful guy who only speak bad of TSCC in a closed ExMo group and on Twitter I'm a free ExMo, who says whatever he wants.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 05:55AM

My Mormon friends can't resist posting multiple memes right around Christmas, Easter, and General Conference. They might post five or six in a day. Most are warm, fuzzy photos with quotes from the Q15 or GAs. I had to turn off anything from official church sites and tell FB that I wanted to see a whole lot less from these posters. And I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 09:10AM by summer.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 08:12AM

I don't have but a handful of TBMs I'm connected to on social media, but the thing that has been interesting to me is how it shows off how shallow and unable to think for themselves most mormons are. Not because the ones I'm connected to are like that, but because for the most part they aren't.

I have a FB friend who I used to work with in Utah. She's way more educated than the average mormon woman, has a Master's degree and only 2 kids (could not have kids, adopted). But she has a ton of FB friends. A Ton. She will post pics of her kids or a quote from a G.A. and get over 200 likes and responses. But she also posts some really good links that are thought-provoking or just something cultural that has no connection to Mormonism. I have found that I always want to read anything she links because it's always great. But there are usually 2 or 3 of us who like or comment on those articles. They are not overly deep, but just enough that mormons who have to stay shallow would drown in it. But I'll share some of her posts and will have a ton of comments on it from my close friends. Makes me very grateful to have been able to get out of the kids' pool and try the deep end, although I'm not a good swimmer there all the time.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 09:51AM

Back when blogging was a new thing, Mormons were encouraged to promote the church on them. I forget whether that came from the stake or the first presidency. There’s probably a directive today about social media. Maybe they have an “Every member a troll” initiative.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.