Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 02:05PM

Yet, the other day, some posters were surprised when I mentioned it and several asked questions about it.

I've written an unpublished novel about my real life experiences growing up, but no one here has read it. I'll write a brief overview of the facts for those who missed all of the times I've done this in the past.

When I was four years old, my father brought home a man he'd met at work for all of us to meet. This fellow was charismatic and engaging with twinkly eyes and a warm kindly way about him. He was a born story teller and we were enthralled with his tales which involved his early years of growing up in an orphanage and seeing angels, spirits, demons, God and Jesus. As a little girl, I was convinced as were my older siblings and parents.

He visited our home and kept us enthralled almost every Saturday and continued to visit after we moved to another bigger home where he started to bring other devotees to hear the tales. He claimed that God had chosen him to lead the most beloved and elect of all his children and that they would never have to taste of death. He said that the mormon church had veered away from the truth when they gave up the fundamental teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young and they no longer lived united order or plural marriage.

He had one wife when we met him and gradually married others over the years. Our family let some of them live in trailers on our farm. He'd visit them and have meetings in our living room on Saturday nights. We sang mormon hymns and listened to his stories and some of the attendees expounded on their testimonies that he was the one mighty and strong as foretold by early mormon seers.

Like us, everyone in this group attended regular LDS church services in their local ward house on Sunday. This is common. Many polygamists still participate in a regular ward. They just lie and people believe them.

Every summer we camped out as a big group in a canyon and sat around a roaring fire for three or four nights listening to these teachings. He often said that those sitting there were the most beloved of all of God's children. This appealed to my parents who lacked confidence in their daily lives and they loved feeling important for being the first to follow this "prophet" and being the ones to house some of his wives.

When I was a young teen, the "prophet" said God told him that drinking coffee and beer were good for the body. Then God told him that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young made mistakes about many of their teachings. Also, my father had been "dating" other women looking for his first plural wife as others in the group had already married their second and third wives. My mother became hostile to these new teachings and she was not accepting of my father's activities. She adored Joseph Smith and Brigham Young and she finally realized that plural marriage would not be something she wanted to face, especially as she was losing faith in the "prophet."

We were all nervous because someone was tapping our phone and watching our house. Once a car followed us from Sandy to Bountiful before my father could shake it. This was a time when we were rescuing a polygamous wife and children and bringing them to our house to avoid being apprehended. Law officers were conducting raids and some people we knew were prosecuted and jailed.

Others in the group agreed with my mother and lost faith in the prophet. They couldn't accept that a good person would drink coffee or beer. The whole thing fell apart. Those with plural wives joined other groups. My family moved to another state.

The prophet went to Texas I think.

I wrote much of this on RfM a few years ago. Within a hour or so of posting, one of the children of this prophet replied. He had been a lurker for years and this one post is the only one ever answered. He wanted to hear more about his father who had abandoned him and his mother about the time my family moved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 02:23PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 02:15PM

Gee Cheryl... I've been here off and on for the last 18 years and

I never knew. Yikes you have stories to tell.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 02:22PM

Jesus

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 02:24PM

Wow, incredible story.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 02:51PM

Cheryl, I remember you telling us that you had an upbringing that included polygamy. I do not remember all these details which are really chilling! I hope you get your book published. It's one I would read for sure!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 02:00AM

I don't remember you ever relating it in this much detail. It was fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing! And I am very glad that your family had the sense to back away from that guy!

Date: October 27, 2017 04:04AM

They were in turmoil because this "prophet" failed them, but the search went on and on . . . . It ruined their lives.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 02:53PM

If you want readers/proof readers, count me in!

Date: October 25, 2017 06:41PM

I've had dozens of proofreaders and paid them off with dinners and such. My husband also writes and we've worked together on his book and mine.

I'd say mine is ready to go. Some agents and publishers like the writing but they're not interested in the subject matter since Romney lost. I missed the widespread interest in my subject a few years ago. Sigh.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 03:19PM

Cheryl,

We'd be happy to publish your novel on this site.

If you'd prefer a money-making option, perhaps some people here can recommend a publisher. Another possibility is to self-publish on Amazon as an eBook.

CZ (admin)

Date: October 25, 2017 03:24PM

And Cheryl, please, in the movie adaptation, hold out for Cheech Marin to play me!!

Date: October 25, 2017 06:36PM

Sounds like a good idea.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 03:27PM

What piques my interest, especially, is how the charismatic story-teller attracted and psychologically seduced his followers. We need to remember that there are small, one-man/woman cults out there that lack visibility because they have no corporate structure or attention-getting clothing or lifestyle.

I hope you'll give that special attention as you go through rewrites and editing.

Concrete Zipper, I encourage you to follow up with Cheryl.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 03:27PM

Cheryl,

I'm a nevermo atheist who found this site searching for info on the magic underwear. I'm an avid Bill Maher watcher and it kept coming up when Romney ran. In any case I've become somewhat fascinated with the Morg and how people get sucked in. There's a temple 2 blocks from my house so we were inundated with mishies for a long time and a neighbor was a bishop. In any case, I would love to read your story.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 06:31PM

So, this guy wasn’t really a prophet?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 06:50PM

Cheryl wrote, "I've written an unpublished novel about my real life experiences growing up, but no one here has read it."

Not true! I read it and enjoyed it. You should try publishing it again or we can publish it here. Of course here, there won't be much money involved.

Date: October 25, 2017 07:27PM

Thank you.

I don't care about money for this project. It's a labor of love.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 12:03AM

Wow, Cheryl. An amazing story. I hope all turned out well for you.

Posted by: jkdd259 ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 06:36PM

Thank you for sharing. I would be very grateful to you if you posted more of your story and history.

Date: October 27, 2017 08:40PM

Much of it is from real life. Look for it in a month or so.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 09:35PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 08:27AM

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 29, 2017 10:36AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 08:08AM

That is interesting, Cheryl.

I had read before of your polyg background, without some of the details you added here.

Did your parents revert back to their former version of Mormonism after your family moved away from there?

Date: October 28, 2017 10:05AM

They met up with some real zingers including the LeBarens in Mexico who murdered an Allred group leader in SLC.

Throughout, they continued to go to LDS wards and finally died and had mormon funerals in mormon ward houses.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 11:58AM

Hail fellow survivor of plygmy...your family story and mine seem congruent...folks on a sacred quest to discover the holder of the keys...seems finally settled on the one with placement marriage cuz fat bald guys can get a buy in...somehow the victims...the young women parlayed like party favors remain silent and unheard...it is after all about PRIESTHOOD...haha...if someone could just define this nonsense...the magical search for crazy that began with joe...continues today in various plyg groups being lead by another deluded nut job...take harmiston ..please...so many cults...so little time...I wouldn't believe it myself...if I hadn't been there

Date: October 28, 2017 12:08PM

Date: October 28, 2017 01:04PM

Has it occurred to you had your parents remained in that cult that you might have been forced into an arranged plural marriage?

What a horrible man running that cult. Yet he doesn't sound a lot different from Joseph Smith.

Date: October 28, 2017 04:21PM

It's called "Plural Bride to Be."

Date: October 28, 2017 06:06PM

Eek!

Date: October 29, 2017 12:30PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's called "Plural Bride to Be."

Oh, man! I can already see the paperback cover!

Fabio is chasing you, holding little case which we associate with engagement rings. There's a log cabin behind the two of you; you are running towards the camera, and your blouse is torn! ... and we can just make out your birthday cake, with 15 candles. His 21 other wives are in an adjacent building, all hunched over sewing machines.

Date: October 29, 2017 12:44PM

Posted by: History Repeats Itself ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 02:56PM

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Religion is an interesting study. From the outside this time though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.