Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pudge ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 04:46PM

I need to drop between 50 and 100 pounds. Is there a good youtube fitness channel you recommend that can help me? I found a few that seem geared to weight training, but I'm not into that. Just something to motivate and help me be active and drop pounds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 04:57PM

losing weight without have a fitness program attached is really, really hard.

Eating less calories than you use, when you're not doing anything, means you're literally starving yourself. If you have a fitness program tied in, you get to eat more, and it's still less than what your body needs, so that, basically, the body converts fat into fuel, to both run the body and build up the new resources, even if it's just walking progressively longer routes.

And the best way: the buddy system.

You have a goal weight in mind. Write it down! remind yourself constantly, so that when you see the Halloween candy on sale, and the Kraft Caramels are only $1.97 for a nice big bag, that weight figure pops up in your mind and you put the candy back.

It's hard, buddy, and I'm pulling you.

Respectfully, but with a bit of pride,

EOD (down 22 pounds since last Christmas)

Posted by: Ian ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 04:59PM

Very basic. Count calories.

Determine your daily caloric burn.

Consume less calories/day than you burn, and you're golden!

You will lose one pound/per 3500 calories in deficit. Knowing this, you can mathematically determine a weight goal by target date. Pace of loss is up to you.

Not sure about online weight loss experts. But do not discount resistance training. Each pound muscle will increase your daily burn by 50 calories. Not insignificant. Try elliot hulse or athlean x on youtube for some good advice and motivation.

Be active. Eat well.

Best of luck. Keep us updated.

And have fun through the process!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 01:12AM

I was pretty hefty when I graduated from high school. All my friends were dating in our freshman year in college. I spent most of that year losing about 60-70 pounds.

I transferred as a transformed sophomore to UCLA, in the Swingin' Sixties, and boy, howdy - I had a great time in my new body!!

I put on some pretty serious weight during my very unhappy first marriage. The now-ex was always nagging me about it, which drove me to console myself with calories. Not good.

When I discovered that he was cheating, I tried hard to transform myself into someone he would love again. Lost a bunch of weight, got new clothes, new hairstyle, paid more attention to makeup and liked myself a lot more. He didn't, but by then, I had more self-confidence and was ready to let his GF have him.

I had a good time playing the field for a while, and then I met my lifelong sweetheart. We had both been pretty badly burned by cheating spouses, so we dated for well over a year before finally committing matrimony. But oh, my - it was well worth the wait. Twenty-six years and still crazy in love.

And funny thing: feeling happy, safe and loved, I never put that lost weight back on. My appetite stabilized a long time ago, and I never have that urge to let the hand-to-mouth reflex kick in.

We don't generally have sugary stuff around the house because DH is diabetic. I have a package of Sour Patch Kids candies on my desk as I write, and I enjoy nibbling on two or three of them, and them I close the package, brush my teeth, and that's it. No hell-bent urge to empty the package.

For the first time in my life, I no longer have "fat" clothes and "skinny" clothes. Just ONE wardrobe. And A couple of years ago, I dared to order some jeans from L L Bean. I live in them! They are my ongoing reminder to stay moderate!!

Posted by: popsicle sticks ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 05:12PM

Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Perlmutter on youtube. You will learn how to reset your metabolism instead of slowing it down.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 05:54PM

Claims of resetting your metabolism are very dubious

I used to do pharmaceutical research for anti-obesity agents.

The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to exercise daily and decrease the number of calories you eat significantly. Most people find cutting down on carbohydrates is most effective.

Ask your doctor for help and join the Y or a health club and take up an active physical hobby.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 01:26AM

We lost a lot of weight (and brain fog) by eliminating whole grains, beans, and nightshades—tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant.

See books by Dr. Gundry.

Also, avoid eating between meals.

Good luck, and let us know your progress! :)

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 05:53PM

Try kickboxing. It's fun and really gets you into shape.

Posted by: popsicle sticks ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 06:27PM

Hedning: Metabolism changes all the time. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years, long before pharma companies ever existed. No need for pharma to lose weight though thank goodness.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 06:54PM

Then come back and talk about "resetting" your metabolism.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 06:36PM

I know you won't believe me, but,

Eat a few teaspoons of virgin coconut oil per day, after a meal.

It's the only source of MTC,s Medium Chain Triglycerides, that are an energy source, and do NOT get stored as fat, but actually burn fat.

Start with a small dose until you get acclimated to it. I've had to move my buttons tighter on 3 cargo shorts, and a pair of pants. The pants I have to move it again, as per the keep falling.

Caution however, virgin coconut oil is very medicinal, and will kill pathogens and cause you to feel unwell if you are toxic.

Read about it, try it, or don't.

I'm saying this from personal experience.

It has to be virgin coconut oil.

I'm a 55 year old man that has gone from a 38" waist back to a 36" waist

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 06:44PM

But weight training is going to be necessary to drop that amount of weight. You don't have to get crazy about it, but when you have more muscle tissue, you will naturally burn more calories faster.

I would suggest a decent personal trainer. It will help you with discipline, and if you're spending money on it, you're less likely to flake out.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 08:18PM

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Very easy to use and it works. It is also good if you are in a period where you are dropping too much weight too fast. Stress can do that to ya.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: October 20, 2017 08:36PM

Almost two years ago I started on a goal to lose all the "baby weight" I had been carrying for the last 27 years! I'm now down to my high school/college weight of 130 pounds, and wear a size 4/6.

People ask how I did it. I used to say, "Eat less, exercise more." Which is true enough. However, truly, it's "Eat less..... a WHOLE LOT LESS!"

Initially, I had completely cut out carbs but found that I felt better, and still lost weight, with a couple of extra-small servings of complex carbs each day.

It took about a year to reach my goal weight. I'm not too particular about what I eat now - small servings and keep it healthy.

I have developed a different problem though. If I exercise too much - even just extra work around the house - I lose too much weight! I'm trying to come up with an exercise regime to improve muscle mass and physical stamina without losing weight. I haven't figured it out yet.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 03:01AM

Hey - I just wanted to add an important eating protocol I use. Each day I eat a small - 1/2 cup to 1 cup - organic snack/meal every two hours, the bulk of which are a variety of high protein foods. Due to the number of meals, it feels like I'm eating all day long! Also, between meals I drink a lot of water - no juice, soda, or alcohol.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 05:39PM

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Very quick and easy to use. You can even add your own recipes. It helps you get and keep a handle on everything you are eating. And not eating. To help get a handle on exercise I suggest you get a band. I have tried a couple but I like my Samsung that pairs with my phone the best.
http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-fit2/

I am considering upgrading to their new one as it is for swimming too but I won't be doing that again till next summer and it is quite a bit larger.
https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-sport/

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 12:33AM

I had some weight creep up on me slowly, following my divorce, and resulting from the pressure, and the fear of being the sole source of financial and emotional support for my children. Working and keeping house exhausted me, and I was getting older....

There are many reasons we gain weight, and you need to figure out your own reasons. Take need care of the psychological stuff. This can be fun! I realized that I wasn't allowing myself enough time for sleep, and zero time for fun. Somehow, in my nightmare life, I had to start treating myself better, instead of beating myself up, and forcing myself to work harder. The best thing I did was quit the cult--and that gave me my weekends back, to have fun with the kids, and sleep in. 10% more money made a huge difference to us.

As for healthy foods and portion control, and all of that, use a website, like the one suggested, or "Calorie King"--they are all good. I like science, so I liked the calorie approach. I had never had to diet before, and I knew diets would probably not work well on me. Instead, I computed exactly how many calories a female of my height and bone structure would need to maintain a weight 25 pounds less than my present weight. I ate to maintain my "ideal weight", until my body adapted--by losing weight until it reached that goal weight. It took 9 months, but I was aiming for one year. I was not hungry, because I was eating a reasonable number of calories, and I was eating only healthy food that my body really could use.

With me, most of the extra calories were sugar, butter, fats, and junk food. Though junk like that is high in calories, it made me hungrier, and gave me the "shakes". Remove the garbage and chemically processed foods, and you will be amazed at how small your amounts of REAL food have been, every day. These days, you can find healthy substitutes for almost anything.

The calorie-counting programs also keep you from eating too little. Often, I was too busy to fix myself a real meal with real food, or I would skip one or two meals--and then my body would crave food with a vengeance! Don't ever try a starvation or "fad" diet, because after you stop starving yourself, the weight comes back, plus more extra pounds.

Eat to maintain your reasonable goal weight.

Exercise helps with weight loss. It helps with motivation, for example, when you exercise in the morning, for the rest of the day you think, "I did something healthy this morning, and I'm not going to erase the good work with doing something unhealthy. Being overweight is unhealthy. I never thought about how I looked or how my clothes fit--I just wanted to be healthy, and able to do the things I liked to do.

I hated exercise. I hated the atmosphere of a gym--literally--it smelled bad, the music hurt my ears, it was a long drive to get there, and took up too much time. I love being outdoors, in all weather, so I decided to exercise outdoors. I had the greatest dog in the world, and she urged me to walk her every day, after work. My main motivation for walking was that it kept me sane, and happy. The endorphins can be addicting. After 3 weeks of wanting to just sit on the couch after work, I was hooked!

You don't have to do anything dramatic, or extreme. In fact, often it is best to not tell anyone you are trying to lose weight. Too many people will sabotage your diet. Former ice-cream buddies, family members, people who were jealous of my success, and party-hosts, all tried to make me eat stuff that wasn't healthy for me. Finally, I just said I was "allergic," to shut them up. To myself, I said, "Junk food makes me break out in fat."

Relax, don't beat yourself up, treat yourself in other ways that don't involve food, be moderate and reasonable, put in the time, and do the math, and trust the math.

Oh, with all those websites and apps, you really need to write down everything you eat. For me, this kept me from constantly having to think about food, and remember what I ate last, and compute how many calories I had left, etc. Write it down and forget it.

Let us know how you are doing--no, don't say anything at all--just do it, and have it be your secret.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 12:57AM

I once burned off my spare tire using apples and high rep Hindu Squats. Worked my way up another 10 each day so after a month I was at 300. No trainer, no gym. I think it took three weeks.

There are other body weight exercises, but squats generate testosterone and boost metabolism nicely. Plus your body tries to ditch the fat to make squats easier.

Tom Hanks dropped something like 100 pounds when filming Castaway using a diet of apples and coffee. I don't know if I'd be that hardcore.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: October 21, 2017 09:49AM

If you need to lose 100 pounds I would suggest you have a doctor check you out before you start doing any kind of exercise routine.

Posted by: YouCanDoIt ( )
Date: October 23, 2017 03:21PM

I just lost 100+ pounds. Went from a size 46-48'' waist to a size 32. No sagging skin. Took me 9 months. I'll give you the key points:
1) Intermittant fasting: Skipped breakfast and used coffee to kill my appetite in the mornings. Ate between 12-8 everyday. It works.
2) 1 hour cardio per day (elliptical - broke it up into 2 sessions)
3) Created a daily caloric deficit: Figured my BMR at 2400 cals per day, and kept my caloric count to an average of 1,200. Used MYFITNESSPAL.com to track everything I ate.
4) Kept my macro's like this: Carbs between 50-100g's per day, Fats between 20-30g per day, and total cals at 1,200.
5) Weightlifting 1 hours per day
6) One free day per week w/ no weightlifting or cardio and one free meal.

Good luck. I am in the best shape of my life. I look like a 25 year old at 53. No more BP meds. I was never a diabetic, but quickly heading that direction. Women giving me a 2nd look, which is unbelievable. Most of all my circulation has improved immensely so that other parts of my body perform like an 18 year old (surprises the hell out of me).

Good luck. You can do this. You must be disciplined, but it's not as hard as you think. About 2 pounds per week. Start slow on the cardio and weightlifting.

Posted by: YouCanDoIt ( )
Date: October 23, 2017 03:40PM

P.S. I disagree w/ Helamonster above...weight training is not necessary, nor is cardio, to lose weight. I didn't start the cardio until 4 months in, and weightlifting 8 months in. 1 hour of weight lifting burns about 300 cals and 1 hour of cardio about 300 cals. If you create a cal deficit based on diet alone, you will still lose weight at 2 pounds of fat per week. However, your metabolism gets used to that caloric deficit about about 4 months AND your BMR decreases with the weight loss, therefore you need to rev up your metabolism by adding cardio and later weightlifting.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 12:33AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.