Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 06:17PM

What these people have in common is that they don't listen to, or care, how the person they contact responds, so instead, they just keep on with their usual sale's pitch. That is, how their victim reacts is usually of no importance to them--so, they just carry on trying to sale their product.

If you say "No Thanks', it just goes in one ear, and out the other of most solicitors.

A salesman called me today and asked to speak to my husband.
When I informed him that my husband was deceased, he said, 'Oh, OK', and preceded to give me his sales-pitch anyway.

I tried to talk over him to say 'No, it wasn't OK', but this went right over his head. He didn't even realize--let alone care--how crude and insensitive he was being.

Therefore, I just hung-up on him, still talking.
---

Another similarity to what they have in common, is that what they are trying to sell is--usually--not in the least of interest to most of the people with whom they are trying to speak (hence, the hanging-up of the phone, or the shutting of the door in someone's face).

The irony is, that trying to sale something using bad manners almost guarantees a negative response.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 06:26PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 06:28PM

Another thing that's similar--you know that scam where a phone call asks you an obvious question and you like "Is this Mr. Jones" and you naturally say "Yes", but it then records your voice saying "Yes"? They can use as proof you gave your consent some bogus thing.

Never say yes, with phone solicitors OR missionaries.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:12PM

EXACTLY!

They record you saying "Yes" and other answers to different questions, then edit the audio to make it seem like you agreed to a sale or service. It used to be prosecuted by the FTC, but that's been gutted by the GOP. Millions of people get screwed by this-many of them elderly. It's pathetic.

NEVER give the time of day to phone solicitors or door to door solicitors-including missionaries.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:06PM

When I get a phone call asking, 'Is this Mrs.Jones?' (or whatever), if I don't recognize the voice, I ask, "Who's asking?"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:22PM

I suppose the next time I get a call and a cheerful (recorded) voice asks "If this Mr. Chicken N. Backpacks?" I'll say "Ab-so-fukkin-lootly-mutha-fukka!"

Let's see them use *that* as proof I agreed to something...

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:48PM

"What are you selling?"

"Not interested."

CLICK!

Works every time.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 08:43PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:48PM

Trained to take control of the conversation;

Trained NOT TO ACCEPT NO.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.