Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 03:46PM

This is the second time in a couple of days that I have written a reply in a newly started thread only to find that the thread and my reply disappeared when I posted. I don't appreciate spending time working on a reply only to have the whole thread disappear without warning. This time I saved my reply and will try posting it here:

The New Testament also says that Jesus had female followers who associated with and supported him. His main disciples are represented to be twelve men, but I believe that even some of those were said to be married. I've never seen anything in the New Testament that would suggest to me that Jesus was a homosexual or, for that matter, that he was married.

One problem that seems to crop up a lot is that we today tend to ignore the context of Jesus' times and interpret his words and actions from our standpoint today. A lot his words and actions make sense in the context of the Jewish Apocalypticism of his time, but can be misinterpreted if we ignore that context.

There is one document that has been used to suggest that Jesus engaged in homosexual activities, and that is the so-called "Secret Gospel of Mark" (you can read about it on the Internet). It was said to have been discovered by a prominent New Testament scholar, the late Morton Smith. But a number of scholars today believe that the "Secret Gospel" may have been a forgery by Smith that he produced as a joke to hoodwink the academic community.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 03:53PM

When the OP (Original Post, in this instance) in a thread is hidden for whatever reason, the responding posts are either hidden as well, or they never actually post.

This has nothing to do with your post or with you personally, it usually has to do with trolls who are posting things in an attempt to negatively stir up the board in some way.

I have had this happen to me a great many times since I discovered this board.

I am sorry it happened to you.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 05:21PM

Thank you, Tevai. I wish I could have read your posts that were deleted. Another post that seems to have disappeared within the past couple of days was an interesting one by caffiend, in which he gave his views on the authorship and dating of the New Testament gospels.

At any rate, it looks like I may be hijacking this thread with my complaining, so if anyone wants to discuss the topics in my post, I'll look forward to the discussion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.