Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:27PM

Do Mormons still teach that 'life is a test'?

or is this Down the Memory Hole?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:31PM

Last time I was at a meeting, I was promised my skin tone would lighten if I just tried a little harder to get my ward teaching done.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:38PM

how long ago, ed?

Date: October 17, 2017 11:52PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how long ago, ed?

Roughly 1974.

Although I did attend about six months of boy scout monthly pack meetings, when I accepted a call from my neighbor and friend, the bishop, in Apple Valley, despite being a declared atheist. This would have been circa 1996. Pretty weird.

But the boys had fun. They loved a game I made up for after the business portion of the meetings. I had an old furniture dolly, and I put a rope on the front and on the back. The boys, including my son, were assigned to three man teams: a puller, a rider and a brakeman. Chairs were set up to mark a course and each team had to run it three times, changing position on, in front and behind, each time, while being timed. So it was against the clock, not another team. It was hilarious to watch, and the boys liked the challenge. I had a key to the chapel... Not many atheists can say that!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:17PM

There is no way someone said that to you old dog, is this another story? Are you being serious? That is just crazy talk but i have heard mormons say so crazy things.

Date: October 18, 2017 02:40PM

BadAss, I don't know "said that to you" you might be referring to... I know I lie all the time, except a lot of times I don't! All of the above is true. If you're referring to a bishop calling an atheist mormon to be the Boy Scout Packmaster, that's true, that really happened. I'm pretty sure Bishop Delatorre is still alive...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:41AM

Isn't it more like one test after another?

I see life as a sort of school and a journey without an end or beginning. But where we end up is open to interpretation, and anyone's guess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 12:43AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:16AM

I've always wondered something about this "testing": Since God is supposed to be all-knowing, powerful, and knows us better than we know ourselves....why the need for testing??

Date: October 18, 2017 11:20AM

We were told that those destined to 'fail' would not have taken elohim's word for it, so here we are!

So it's not 'testing', it's 'proving'.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:05PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We were told that those destined to 'fail' would
> not have taken elohim's word for it, so here we
> are!
>
> So it's not 'testing', it's 'proving'.

I was told that, too.
But valkyriequeen's issue still applies: why would an all-knowing god need us to 'prove' anything? Wouldn't it already know what we'd do or not do?

I had that same question the first time I went through the temple, being taught the secret signs/handshakes that would supposedly let me get through the sentinels guarding the way to the CK.

"Wouldn't god already know I'd been a good mormon, and let me in, without having to do secret handshakes?" I thought.

Then I put the issue aside for a couple of years while I did a mission. :(

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:22PM

I swear it would have been the end of me if i did the temple thing especially as a teenager.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:52AM

Yes. From what I've seen lately, it's all they got to back up their 19th century notion that God really didn't make gay people. He just gave some people (who were more valiant in the pre-existence so needed stronger test of their faith), an attraction to the same gender (can't even say same sex). And it's the closest they can come to admitting that people might be born gay. I mean, born with an attraction to the same gender, which of course, can be overcome with faith and prayer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.