Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: omergod ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:10PM

Steve Benson is the only person that uses his #realname

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:13PM

Because some people here aren't out of the church yet. They don't want to be outed.

Do you use your real name?

Date: October 17, 2017 09:16PM

Nope

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:13PM

Gatorman is Rick Boedy. I live in Big Canoe, Georgia. How’s that for a start??

Gatorman
3-3

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:25AM

Hey Gatorman. You are not far from me in East TN. I live just north of Chattanooga. We are looking at going down to Ellijay on a Saturday for apples and some wine. This Sat I have a concert in Chattanooga so we cannot go this weekend. Let me know if interested in meeting.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:14PM

I use my real name.

Date: October 17, 2017 09:17PM

Nice!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:16PM

Because Mormons can be freaking stalkers. I don't want them bugging me.

Posted by: Donald J. Trump ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:23PM

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:06PM

You may want to rethink that one.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:22PM

I use what could have been my real name. My paternal G-G-Grandmother was Sarah Franks who was coming to Salt Lake with her fiance George Padley to be married in the Endowment House. Unfortunately they were assigned to the Martin Handcart Company. George died in Martin's Cove, Wyoming. Sarah was rescued and came to Salt Lake. She eventually married my G-G-Grandfather Thomas Sloan Mackay as his third wife.

So I use the diminutive form of Thomas's first name and George's last name as my moniker. And since Thomas and Sarah have numerous descendants it may be hard to narrow it down to my real name.

As a side note, I hate that the church reenacts handcart journeys with the youth. A person who could have been my G-G-Grandfather died. And my G-G-Grandmother was "persuaded" into plural marriage. I doubt she was very happy after her fiance died because of a stupid decision by the church.

>> This ended up in the wrong place. It should follow the OP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 11:23PM by Tom Padley.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:24PM

I started out with a moniker because back when I was taking my first steps out of the church, I wanted to remain anonymous.

Now I don't give a shit...everybody knows that I'm out and that I officially resigned last year - about 2 years after I stopped attending.

My name is Clifton Brown. I live in Sequim, WA. I spent two years in the Colombia-Cali mission from 1992-1994. My temple name is Noah.

I just don't care about any of that superstitious horse shit anymore. Hopefully my exit gives courage or inspiration to somebody else to do the same.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 09:28PM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:41AM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:48AM

I miss the days when posts disappeared after 10 days, because in the beginning, I divulged waaaay to much personal (emotional) information.

I was pissed and confused and wrote all manner of things I needed to get out of my system, and I'm glad that most of it is (sort of) gone.

Maybe if I retire when I'm 70ish, I'll use my last name. ;-)

ETA: Wrong place. I hate it when I talk to myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 11:49AM by Beth.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:25PM

Why do you need a last name??

Give me a reason and I'll be glad to help you out.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:27PM

Don notes he uses his above, and one of the "old stalwarts" who will be at the Conference this weekend has gone by his real name in the past. His reaction: "Ah, it was only a little death threat."

'Nuff said...

Eric K. is "out," and my good friend "Rodolfo" has appeared in a national magazine detailing the struggles many have exiting the church. And Jesus Smith was outed for his taking over the editorship of Mormonthink; Tom Phillips has also given details of undergoing "The Second Annointing."

I was giving serious consideration to outing myself, given that I'm considering retiring, but at this point I don't think it would be prudent. There are dozens who do know me, and so far they've kept a confidence to the best of my knowledge.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:21AM

You're the only person on the board I've wanted to know by name. You're a damn curiosity.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 01:49AM

"Who was that sane man?"
"Why, he was the Phantom of the Streets of Salt Lake City...!"

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:04AM

I, NormaRae, will never reveal the first or second name of SLCabbie with his accompanying cab, sign or moniker. Rather than do so I would suffer...(thumb under left ear)... my life (draw hand knife across throat to right ear)... to be taken (drop the knife to the side)!

Haha. Yeah, and I'm as serious about giving up my life for your secrets as I was about giving it up for the stupid heavenly passwords and handshakes. In fact, I thought that was why I always had a feeling of evil when I went in the temple. Because Satan had a hold on me knowing that I was lying about giving up my life. Of course it had nothing to do with subconsciously realizing I was in a mindfucking cult.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:31PM

I don't simply because I have many friends and family that are TBM, and they silently lurk on this public board.

If I use my real name, I can't talk about situations that will most definitely include other people that I know.

Date: October 17, 2017 09:31PM

Also lots of people who have been on this board over the years

know my real name and we're all friends on Face book. I pick

and choose who I tell my name to and it works out very well.

Even though I've left the church I don't divulge my identy

because of stalkers. I'll just leave it at that.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:36PM

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:53PM

Brigidbarnes is a clever play on what my real name is. No, I don't want Mormons coming around to "rescue" me.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:58PM

I don't for many reasons. Here are a few:

1. Anything posted on the internet can be used against the poster. You have to be VERY careful if you use your real name.

2. Sometimes I pour my heart out in my responses and I'd be a little embarrassed if people knew my identity. I doubt that anyone I know posts on this forum, but you never know...

3. I have many family members who are still TBM and our relationship is already a little strained because I'm out of the cult and they're still believing. I don't want to alienate my family any more than I've already alienated them.

I switch back and forth between several screen names. Maybe someday I'll "come out."

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 09:59PM

I use my real name but I just can't spell so good.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:03PM

Nobody knows my real name. Not even Saucie. Don't tell her I said so, okay? She thinks she does...

Date: October 17, 2017 10:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody knows my real name. Not even Saucie.
> Don't tell her I said so, okay? She thinks she
> does...

I may not know your real name mi amor but I've got your number.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:03PM

666?

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:03PM

I once posted my real name.

For now I like being a shadowy being. Besides, I have two sister-in-law who have my same name. Active in church, they are. It's bad enough on FB. Also, there is an actress and a deadbeat in So Cal who have my name. There's also a woman in CO with the same name. I get emails from her rejected lovers. She belongs to a Christian group. I've gotten an email telling me I'm to present my talk at a conference in Colorado Springs in a couple of weeks. No. Not me.

I'd just as soon remain in the Shadows. The Shadow knows . . . ha ha ha. Anyone remember that radio show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 11:03PM by Phantom Shadow.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:08PM

My moniker is a name a guy I worked with years ago started calling me, chlorine. He was a chemist. My name is Colleen Christensen Parkinson. I live in Hyrum, Utah, and I'm from Brigham City. I don't care if mormons know who I am. I am rsigned and most of my family is out (except my daughter). She knows I post here. It bugs her.

Posted by: JustHangingOn@57 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:03AM

This exactly ^^^

Posted by: JustHangingOn@57 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:06AM

Sorry. This was meant for the below it. The ambiance is kicking in for the evening.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:15PM

The fact that so many people use pseudo names should tell you something about Mormon culture or control, conformity, shame, and conditional love.

It tells you that people have something to lose if people knew they left the church, or knew their REAL thoughts and beliefs. People have lost spouses, relationships with siblings and parents, friendships, and jobs from leaving the church. And they just want a safe, anonymous place to talk and get support.

I hope he won't mind me making some assumptions about why Steve Benson uses his real name. He left the church in a very public way. It was in the news, and he said exactly what he thought about his incapacitated grandfather being the 'prophet'. So he was already out of the exmo closet, so to speak. He was willing to speak publicly about what he saw at the highest levels of the church, regardless of threats or consequences. And from what I've read, he's dealt with plenty of people writing him nasty letters, etc.

That's something many people don't want to deal with on any scale, especially not from people they don't even know. I respect the guts of those who go public, but that's not something I'm comfortable doing.

Frankly, I get concerned when people reveal information about themselves in response to a post like this. People have been outed by Mormons coming to the board and figuring out who they were, even when they were using a pseudoname, and they made trouble for them in real life.

When I make a post with too much identifying information, or highly personal information, I actually pick a DIFFERENT pseudo-name than imaworkinonit.

I don't think a person can be too careful when revealing personal information online.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:17PM

Mine has meaning

Just like love is a verb it's something that you do not just something you say it's a verb

Painting is a verb too
Win is a choice goal based on logical strategy artistry skill and luck

Paintinginthewin Defines lifestyle demo unlinked with garments lds meetings or what some bishop thinks

I think it defines me better than a name now, an effort of resilience a chosen owning or forgetting in which one writes a narrative journey experience that is theirs. I really think you can paint in the win it's like how you focus the camera when you press the button taking the picture ! In a routine way I think you can sweep more pictures or beauty or art sketching or cups of coffee into your life over and over until you notice beauty action life art whatever is your win, instead of all your losses dangled by entangled with past pain and or/ the church.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:22AM

I thought there was a silent d at the end . . .

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:23AM

License in a world of church issued replicated roles ,
I wanted to paint in the wind anyway, despite life's storms. Like paint a life. For myself oh instead of living a Mormon issued sex role based life taken rote like a bag of garments at the temple store off a shelf paint something else.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:31PM

why don't YOU use your real name. I use MY real name.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:53PM

Heather Duncan from Sugar Land, Texas. It's not where I live now. I'm not afraid of the Mormons. I just won't answer their calls and will never open the door for them.

wait I haven't opened my front door for anyone in the last 9 years. I always go to my friends house instead.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:24AM

With the exception of Facebook I never use my real name on a website. I know who I am, and I am ok with that.
My new name is Asa, if that makes any difference.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:38AM

I said my full name on here once but i was told to erase it. My first name really is adam but the badass definitely does most of the talking. I actually want people to find me to improve my chances i know that sounds weird but nobody around me understands anything of how to help a man get back on his feet.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:47AM

When are you getting your neck fixed? Is it snowing there yet?

Date: October 18, 2017 12:54AM

It has snowed a few times during the night, i talk to my doctor this week that does disc replacements on thursday to tell him i want to move forward because i have definite proof of a disc pinching the nerve from a myolegram i got. I could have just had a fusion already done but i decided to hold off and get a disc replacement instead as the better option i feel.

Date: October 18, 2017 12:45AM

As you all can tell I am a wuss around here.
As I have posted here several times here since July, 2017, It has been turbulent times at church here in podunk. With another hoosier on this board, I was outed before I thought about resigning. Don't really know who or care.

My name is an alternate form of logging in with googlechrome instead of a facebook name and page. It is the only private? identity I have left.

I try to avoid confrontations with angry old geezers from church. I do have big plans for the holidays with a note in a card to old friends. I am waiting on my response letter for resigning. I sent it to the COB in SLC.

Date: October 18, 2017 12:50AM

I don't want to deal with the old men in suits either. I asked my counselor if i was going to be aloud to live a real life away from that bullshit and she said yes, it was so sad i have been so owned by them for so long i don't know how to live like a free human being.

Date: October 18, 2017 01:45AM

I perceive you as making good improvements.

BABY STEPS, Adam. Sounds goofy I know. But, it is true! Take small steps as long as it takes till you can run again, full steam. Rehab takes time. Allow yourself time to heal in many areas of your life. You will be a happy badass again, someday.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 12:54AM

I use my real name.

But I understand why others don't.
And even if I didn't, why judge? You don't know what's going on in a person's life.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 02:39AM

it feels like it IS part of my real identity.

There are weird people out there, and I don't want to feel vulnerable. (Not to imply that anyone at RfM is weird, but you never know who might be lurking.)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 05:57AM

Trolls and nasty TBMs sometimes track down and harass posters and their families in their homes or at their jobs. It happened to me more than once and it was ugly. Others have also had trouble.

If this worries you, don't use real names or identifying information.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 06:39AM

Back in the old days the laws about the net were few, far between and not understood by most. Cricket used to call it the Wild West. I still think it is prudent to keep your IRL private info just that. Private IRL info.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:24AM

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:38AM

Because of Google. When a prospective employer googles my name,
I don't want my entire personal life laid out.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 07:42AM

^^^^This!

Anyway, Tom is my real name and I really am in Paris ;-)

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 08:29AM

I use my real name too.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 08:38AM

It's a privacy thing,it's a radio thing/ blog. I was into shortwave radio, back in the day, everyone had callsigns; it was part of the fun. It can also tell people something about you.
It would sound boring anyway and could be unsafe, if we used regular names, even those can be made up. I can call my self Bobbie Hull ( feminine form), but Hockeyrat shoulda better.
Steve Benson uses his name because everyone knows who he is ,and listens when he talks, so he's helping a lot of people, and we know already he isn't a troll.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:37AM

Hockeyrat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a privacy thing,it's a radio thing/ blog. I
> was into shortwave radio, back in the day,

Shortwave is a good thing. I'm not a ham but a DXer. QSLed KSL from Michigan, too. (Sorry-non DXers need to look up the lingo on the net)

My name derives simply from the car I drive. I use this name simply because I don't know who's out there, TBM or not.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:49AM

I've met several people from here in "real life," and they know my real name. But on the board, as others have mentioned, there are good reasons to not use it.

Just remember, my real name is sacred -- not secret :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:53AM

How about, "SinceICan'tHieToKolob?"

Christian->Atheist hugs, Bro!! :+)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:45AM

I like it, but it's too late now! :)

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:58AM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:27AM

I know I’m old, but I’m going to change my name to what my mom had picked for me before relatives overpowered her.

Currently, when anyone is mad at me, they grind on that double E. —KathlEEEEEEEEEEEn!!!!! It sounds like tires skidding before a crash.

I too was manipulated into the culture of taking my husbands’ names. No offense to them, but I’m claiming my maiden name.

I think name change in CA is common law. Going to check into it today.

Oh, and the fake name everyone got in the temple the same day I did was Sarah.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:49AM

I use my real name, although I haven't posted much lately.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:50AM

There is no advantage to me to do so, and a strong potential downside.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:18AM

JD Davis and I really do live in Montana.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:47AM

Cheryl Sitton I prefer Flutterbypurple since purple is my favorite color and I have three butterfly tattoos soon to get a fourth in honor of my daughter that passed away in April.

Posted by: AnonNow ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 11:48AM

I have always used my real name here (but without the space between first and last names, because I learned in the past that some computer programs only wanted a single token for the user identifier, defined as a sequence of non-white space characters).

Nevin

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.