Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 03:43PM

I love butter. The real thing, salted, right out of the Costco cooler in that lovely blue four-pack. Yum!

After very brief consideration, I am switching from leaving my butter out, to keeping it in the 'frig.

Yes, it's ever so easy to smear on when it's soft, but I have recently come to appreciate the effort of slicing off and spreading 'hard' butter.

Thank you. I feel renewed now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 03:47PM

If it's a really hot summer day, then it's in the fridge.
Otherwise, in a covered dish on the counter.

Now, let the dirty jokes begin!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:12AM

Yeah, I like mine hard.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 03:53PM

I like Land O Lakes butter with canola oil that comes in a tub. It tastes just like butter should. It's soft and easy to spread right from the fridge.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 03:54PM

Posted by: Snarky McSnarkerson ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 04:21PM

You know that stuff’s not butter, right? It’s “butter flavored spread”, or some such nonsense.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 04:28PM

I use a crockery thing with 2 parts. There's water in the bottom and the butter is in the top, inverted. It creates a seal. For cooking, I often use hard butter from the fridge.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 05:15PM

That is what we use--the crockery thing. Somebody said they call it a "butter bell." Upside down in the water. Spreadable but fresh. I swear by the Irish butter like Don.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 04:33PM

Irish butter at room temp.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 04:38PM

I try not to use too much butter, though we have only real butter in the house. I'm not surprised that the fake stuff was discovered to be more damaging to a body than real butter is. I like it softened, but we usually keep it on the fridge so I usually have to deal with it in its more solid state. With have to keep it out of our younger child's reach because she would eat it straight by the stick if she were allowed to do so.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 05:05PM

My mother always insisted that those who said butter was bad for you and used margarine were wrong. Same with eggs. My mother was right.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 05:31PM

No doubt: Hard unsalted from a tub. On a hot baguette.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 05:44PM

Unsalted butter is great.

I also love Ghee, too.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 11:00PM

My high esteem for the Dawg was slightly shaken with the word "salted." (((Sign))) Salt is added as a preservative. A freshly baked, warm, crusty French baguette with slightly soft unsalted butter...Perfection!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:15AM

I'm with ya, Boner. Unsalted, please.

I'm also disappointed.

A thread with "hard or soft" in the title, and your comment is about salt?
What's the world coming to???!!!

:)

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 05:49PM

Sometimes you don't have a choice.

Refrigeration
Insulation
Accommodation

I like it both... but there is something to be said about cool, hard/ semi-hard butter.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 07:03PM

Growing up, we didn't have the money to buy butter so we made our own from the cream on top of the milk we got from the cows. Nothing today compares, hard or soft. Loved the buttermilk too.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 10:41AM

We were poor too and bartered a lot with other families in our country town. We got our milk from the neighbors in gallon glass mayonnaise jars that we got from the school lunch. There was always a ton of cream on top of the milk. We shook it in pint jars until it turned to butter. Mom made deep fried bread and the butter was amazing on that. It was a good place to be poor.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:25PM

I'm not touching this post with a ten foot pole

Date: October 17, 2017 10:27PM

...you're ever the optimist.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:56PM

Living as we do in a world stacked with powder and flames aflickering round, do we have time on a cult recovery forum to trade butthead inanities on the subject of butter? Hard or soft? Sheesh...

Date: October 17, 2017 11:05PM

I like to take the time... With my life constantly on the line, it eases the tremendous pressure I'm under. All the stacked powder and the flames has me t h i s close to biting my fingernails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 11:06PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 04:06AM

and it was always easily spreadable when we used it. My first husband insisted that it had to be kept in the refrigerator or it would go rancid. I tried to explain that in 20+ years, I had never seen that happen, but he would not listen. That's when I started buying the soft, spreadable stuff that comes in tubs. So much easier to use.

"Stick butter" was kept for cooking or baking. We still maintain both.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 09:42AM

When I was young I loved making saltine crackers and butter sandwiches. Yummmmm. Just saltine crackers and a slice of nice butter in between.
Nowadays, the unsalted butter is in the fridge during the summer and on the counter in the cooler wintertime. It's semi hard and not used as much as it used to be. Usually just things baked in the oven.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.