Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 06:54PM

“Let me say that we appreciate the truth in all churches and the good which they do. We say to the people, in effect, you bring with you all the good that you have, and then let us see if we can add to it. That is the spirit of this work. That is the essence of our missionary service” (meeting, Nairobi, Kenya, 17 Feb. 1998).
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/08/excerpts-from-recent-addresses-of-president-gordon-b-hinckley?lang=eng

I've remembered this quote since it was published almost 20 years ago. It seemed like such a lie to me at the time but I placed it up on my mental shelf. It is one of the few things that remains consistent in my exmormonism. That lie. The assertion that Mormonism can add to the goodness of other churches. It is so baldfaced.

It was my belief before hearing this quote that Mormonism had as much goodness as any church could have. I think I believed it had probably not as much good as many service oriented, feed the hunger, clothe the naked kinds of churches but it had something all the other churches didn't have - the plan. What was feeding people compared to helping them understand a grand plan for perfection in the next world?

I had thought that Mormonism was the most saddled with Satanic influences of any church because it had the keys to helping people dead or alive to attain something better in the universe that couldn't be had any. other. way.

Wrong. Missionaries need to get people to join Mormonism just to see if it makes them better people than they were when they were helping living people instead of saving dead people.

And they way he said it, it sounds like if Mormonism fails the "more good" test then ditching it is easy.

What a huge lie. What a scam. What a flim flam man for a prophet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 07:15PM

Hey, the church did take the Protestant minister out of the temple ceremony after years of offering to convert folks for money. Oh, sorry, Elder, I'm not supposed to talk about that, am I? Good to hear from you, Bro!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 09:19PM

Is that like making someone's beer better by spitting in it?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.