Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 02:59PM

I thought this was an interesting article.

"Islam once considered homosexuality to be one of the most normal things in the world.

The Ottoman Empire, the seat of power in the Muslim world, didn’t view lesbian or gay sex as taboo for centuries. They formally ruled gay sex wasn’t a crime in 1858.

But as Christians came over from the west to colonize, they infected Islam with homophobia.

The truth is many Muslims alive today believe the prophet Muhammad supported and protected sexual and gender minorities."

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/secret-gay-history-islam/#gs.8dn1FDY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 03:26PM

well, now it's no longer a secret!

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 03:27PM

LOL

Posted by: G3gnp ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 09:39PM

There seems to be a liberal fantasy that Islam and Gays are tight.

No one hesitates to mock or attact Christians (btw I am agnostic), yet same people who attack Christian are afraid to criticize Islam for same or even more extreme beliefs.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 10:18PM

G3gnp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There seems to be a liberal fantasy that Islam and
> Gays are tight.

Assuming that "tight" means something like "in warm accord with each other," I don't know where you get this idea...everything I know is that gays within Islamic societies are often targets of cruel police methods, tortures, and executions (whether legally, or extra-legally).

> No one hesitates to mock or attact Christians (btw
> I am agnostic), yet same people who attack
> Christian are afraid to criticize Islam for same
> or even more extreme beliefs.

In relatively recent "times past" (such as: up to, and through, the twentieth century), Christians (in general) were often treated with politeness and enormous outer respect, while Muslims were often referred to in less-than-human terms, or by modifications of vile characterizations which had more often been used, in the popular culture, to refer to people of color. (The exception to the general "good manners" towards Christians would be Catholics, because in the historical, larger American culture, and outside of specific "Catholic" geographical areas, Catholics were often the target of great prejudice which came from non-Catholic Christians, to the point where intermarriage was often considered either totally impossible, or a scandal if it actually occurred.)

I think the misapprehension here is to think that this is primarily a matter of "beliefs." I know of one particular case where this is actually true (formerly common, before Vatican II, non-Catholic beliefs about the Catholic Pope), but in most instances, "beliefs" has nothing to do with it. (If beliefs did, then no one would be prejudiced against Muslims because they are also part of the Abrahamic religions, with the same ancient religious ancestry and, overall, general theological beliefs as Jews and Christians.)

I think the real problem here is that there used to be a widespread assumption that a "REAL" American, by practical definition, was a Protestant Christian, and everyone else (even when accepted, usually grudgingly) was "not QUITE as American"...

...certainly not QUITE as American as was a Protestant Christian (especially a Protestant Christian male).

We are in the midst of a national transition now, an era when we are trying to transform our inner beliefs (and what we can now clearly see are our inner prejudices) to accord with the shining words of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States of America.

A time, in other words, when our national goal is to make those words not just ideals, but reality.

Some people, who were of the opinion that God Himself had selected them to be the elect of this nation, are going to feel, during this time of transition, that they are losing what they always just assumed was their Divine birthright of being at the tippy-top of the American social pyramid.

This is going to be, and IS, a painful process for those who are being asked to become more inclusive, and this time of our national life is likely to feel to them that they are "being bullied" when they, in their own private lives, realize that they must accept "the others" [also Americans] as being on the same level as they themselves have always been proud to occupy.

As we work through this national challenge, our past, generally-national prejudices regarding Islam, and also sexual orientation, are front and center, and it is "this" part of the national historical filmstrip that you are "seeing" right now.

In ten or twenty years or fifty years, we will be able to look back at this period, and events now current will clearly show how we got from "now" (second decade of the twenty-first century) to "there" (wherever we wind up, when these tasks have been completed).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 10:27PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 12:54PM

G3gnp Wrote:
> There seems to be a liberal fantasy that Islam and
> Gays are tight.
>
> No one hesitates to mock or attact Christians (btw
> I am agnostic), yet same people who attack
> Christian are afraid to criticize Islam for same
> or even more extreme beliefs.

There are indeed some liberals on the regressive left who want to (re)introduce blasphemy laws. Not for the traditional god of the old religion, but for the gods of the new citizens, who have a right "not to be offended". I consider this racist: they are not holding immigrants to the same standards as others, but clearly see them as uncivilized people who are unable to live in a pluralistic society, where all ideas can be debated freely and, if necessary, discarded.

How dare they even still call themselves liberals? When will they stand up for secularism, gay rights, women's rights, vaccines and the teaching of evolution again?

Date: October 15, 2017 11:19PM

sorry, but the white partriarchy spans the political paradigm. Your white liberal beliefs, are exactly that. Blacks, Islam oppose Republicans and pretty much despise white liberal values. Liberal values are a very white Eurocentric creation.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 09:16AM

Anytime anybody says "blacks do this," I already know they're full of crap. 'Cause "blacks," just like whites, are a diverse group of individuals who don't all do ANYTHING.

So if the shoe fits...

Date: October 16, 2017 06:43PM

Hie to Kolob said:“Anytime anybody says "blacks do this," I already know they're full of crap. 'Cause "blacks," just like whites, are a diverse group of individuals who don't all do ANYTHING”

So if I said blacks are predominately Republican. You would say I am full of crap? You are a real genius:I bet you did not major in statistics and live in Utah where you have maybe have met five blacks in your entire life.

To be clear, I am not judging blacks or liberals. I love and work with both. My point is a lot of white liberals are naive in seeing commonality between different communities that simply does not exist.

Date: October 16, 2017 07:01PM

G3gnp Wrote:
> So if I said blacks are predominately Republican.
> You would say I am full of crap?

You *didn't* say that, now did you?
Here's your quote:

"Blacks, Islam oppose Republicans and pretty much despise white liberal values."

Notice, no "predominately"?
So let's not pretend that's what you said, ok?

> You are a real
> genius:I bet you did not major in statistics and
> live in Utah where you have maybe have met five
> blacks in your entire life.

You just lost that entire bet. I don't take checks.

> To be clear, I am not judging blacks or liberals.

No, you're just generalizing and being a racist.

> I love and work with both.

Yeah, the old line: some of my best friends are black!

> My point is a lot of
> white liberals are naive in seeing commonality
> between different communities that simply does not
> exist.

Oh, the irony. You just described your own writing.
Want to try again?

Date: October 16, 2017 01:07PM

The OP, however ill-informed, was talking about homosexuality and islam in the muslim world. How did we get from there to African-Americans and the GOP? It seems some people cannot think outside their own little bubble. And yes, the entire USA is just a little bubble from a worldwide perspective.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 11:50AM

Hey poopstone I didn't know you got a new screename.

Whatever past Islam has had with underage boy love/bisexuality/homosexuality- and it seems reasonably well documented- doesn't seem too relevant given the persecution homosexuals face in Islam majority countries. Homosexuality is out-and-out banned in many of them.

For some reason the forum wouldn't let me use the word that starts with ped and ends with erastry..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2017 11:50AM by midwestanon.

Date: October 16, 2017 12:37PM

eternal1 Wrote:

> The Ottoman Empire, the seat of power in the
> Muslim world, didn’t view lesbian or gay sex as
> taboo for centuries. They formally ruled gay sex
> wasn’t a crime in 1858.

Oh, it's the other way around. They persecuted gays as bad as any other theocracy, but softened their stance under the influence of liberalism and secularism in the 19th century. See French Revolution. The Ottoman reforms of the 1850s and 1860s were similar, and culminated in the Constitution of 1876.

Unfortunately, these reforms didn't last long and the old regime was restored, religious fanaticism and all.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 12:58PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
> Unfortunately, these reforms didn't last long and
> the old regime was restored, religious fanaticism
> and all.

The resistance of Islam to reform is one of the most interesting topics today, I think. I was just reading Shadi Hamid's book on Islamic exceptionalism on this, and he has some interesting insights, about the Islamic longing for a restoration of the Caliphate, and the belief of Muslims that the Quran is literally (as in to the last letter) the actual words of Allah.

Makes me pessimistic about Islam ever becoming enlightened, but that is another point he makes: that this is a western expectation that does not fit Islam as it is practiced today.

Date: October 16, 2017 01:39PM

rt Wrote:
> Makes me pessimistic about Islam ever becoming
> enlightened, but that is another point he makes:
> that this is a western expectation that does not
> fit Islam as it is practiced today.

The laws of evolution apply to religions as well: either they learn to adapt themselves to a changing environment, or they will die. It's bend or break.
One day, islam will be enlightened, or it will no longer be.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 01:06PM

I'm not sure the motivation of the Op but for the purpose of my response I'm going to guess.

To somehow infer that Islam is accepting of minorities in any way, shape, or form is laughable and irresponsible. There is no high ground earned in the past. Current conditions are always the most important.

Were I a diplomat I might point to this illusive acceptance as a measuring stick to today in the hopes that some level of human rights might emerge. But since I'm not a diplomat I'll simply state that right now, being gay and being in a Muslim country would not be an ideal situation.

Date: October 16, 2017 03:14PM

eternal1 Wrote:
> I thought this was an interesting article.

> https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/secret-gay-history-islam/#gs.8dn1FDY

Much more interesting than the article is the comment section, where every balanced argument against the non-existent hippie love-and-peace version of islam that the journalist tries to describe, is met with changing the subject towards other religions, especially christianity, and, of course, colonialism.

Christianity and the British Empire have nothing to do with it. This article says that islam is gay-friendly. It isn't. Period.

Date: October 16, 2017 04:11PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
> This article says that islam is
> gay-friendly. It isn't. Period.

Gee, I read the whole thing twice, and it never says that at all.

It does say that some parts of Islam WERE at one time or another "gay-friendly." Then it has a large section on "what happened," implying that "patriarchy" ruined what gay-friendliness Islam had at any point.

No sane person would insist today's Islam is "gay-friendly." Clearly it's the opposite.
I would speculate that the article was an attempt to get Muslims to look at their past, and see that today's hate wasn't how it always was -- and that there's room in Islam for gay acceptance.

Date: October 16, 2017 04:18PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:

> I would speculate that the article was an attempt
> to get Muslims to look at their past, and see that
> today's hate wasn't how it always was -- and that
> there's room in Islam for gay acceptance.

If that was the case, surely it would have been posted on a muslim forum, rather than a gay one, don't you think?

No, this article tries to pinkwash muslim history. Islam is as homophobic as any other creed and gays have every reason not to be lulled by any preacher in sheep's clothing. As for the believers of any religion, perhaps they should stop looking at their past and focus on the future instead?

Date: October 16, 2017 04:38PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
> If that was the case, surely it would have been
> posted on a muslim forum, rather than a gay one,
> don't you think?

No, I don't think that.
How many muslim forums do you think, given most of Islam's irrational hatred of gays, would allow such a piece?

> No, this article tries to pinkwash muslim history.
> Islam is as homophobic as any other creed and gays
> have every reason not to be lulled by any preacher
> in sheep's clothing. As for the believers of any
> religion, perhaps they should stop looking at
> their past and focus on the future instead?

I agree with the last part.
I don't agree at all with the "pinkwash" claim.
Why don't we ask the author his intent?
(hint -- I already e-mailed, I'll let you know if I hear back)
That way neither of us has to speculate...

Date: October 17, 2017 12:50PM

> No, I don't think that.
> How many muslim forums do you think, given most of
> Islam's irrational hatred of gays, would allow
> such a piece?

Well. That was my whole point ;)

I actually do know a few sites that most American media would call "muslim forums" and which would allow it. They are, however, muslim to the extent that our forum is mormon.

Date: October 18, 2017 02:38AM

> Why don't we ask the author his intent?
> (hint -- I already e-mailed, I'll let you know if
> I hear back)
> That way neither of us has to speculate...

So, have you heard anything yet?

Date: October 18, 2017 10:07AM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
> So, have you heard anything yet?

Nope. No reply yet.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 06:10AM

What's up with this "patriarchy" nonsense? A little newsflash for anybody who thinks "patriarchy" is some kind of modern western pecualiarity that spread to the rest of the world in the modern period. That's simply ludicrus. The entire middle east, along with pretty much the entire rest of the world, both old and new, has been 'patriarchal' for as far back as we have historical record. The middle east had already been "patriarchal" for thousands of years when islam first appeared on the scene.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.