Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 02:19AM

As an agnostic person idk for sure weather I believe in Satan I think I most likely probably do because ive heard about seceral peoples ouija board experiences my mom played with one once and she said two of the girls she was playing it with were able to lift another girl up into the air using just there pinky fingers. Please no one try a board cause just in case satan IS real it definitely isnt worth it. I am still not 100 percent sure I believe in an afterlife but hearing the stories it gives me more faith in one than the lds church ever did! LOL I'm NOT about to try a board though and please nobody else here ever try one better safe than sorry ya know? but anyways lets just say Satan IS real wouldn't it be creepy if he came and attended all the weird rituals in the temple?! Ugh and the tbms so brainwashed they don't even realize it?! I watched some of the rituals on youtube thanks to new name Noah and they DID seem a bit creepy and from what I understand the temple used to be a WHOLE lot creepier in pioneer days Also does anyone know what tbms think about the pentagram being on the salt lake temple? Do you think it freaks any of them out just a little? I didn't even realize it was on the temple until I became an exmo but I think I would have been a little weirded out by it if I had known! I never went through the temple except to do baptisms for the dead once all I thought about really was the sexy guy baptizing me I was too distracted to really get how weird it was hehe but to read about how they modeled that font after doing animal sacrifices is super creepy! What the hell?! Also idk if this is true fro sure but I thought I heard somewhere that prayer circles are satanic does anyone know if that's true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 15, 2017 02:48AM

Ugh just had another creepy thought just wondered how it would feel to spend the night alone in a temple ahhhhh!!!!! That sounds super scary!!! I spent the night alone in a church house once and that was scary enough!!! Spending it alone in a temples even freakier!!!!! Idk if I could make it through the night! Lol

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 04:36AM

A few thoughts. The subject has been dealt with here on several occasions. First of all, the assignment of one symbol as Satanic and another as "Christian" or "Buddhist" is 100% arbitrary. There is no Satan, and even if there were one he would hardly be controlled by a sketch of a star, upside down or right side up or pointed toward my grandmother's big toe. The list of symbols that people have decided are Satanic is endless. personally, I like the Raised Middle Finger one best. Note that before around 300 AD "Satan" didn't even exist. Look up the relevant scholarly literature.

Second: when the early temples were being built the symbols were not associated with Satanism. That didn't happen until much later, and the process was greatly assisted by a little California town called Hollywood. At the time they were considered venerable, being frequently found in Masonic settings, which were widely recognized as old and august. Note- not Satanic. As for whether people thought those symbols had some sort of cosmic power, some people did and some people didn't. Everybody knew that the symbols were open to interpretation by the observer. Also note that "Masonic" does not mean "Satanic". Secret, yes. All-powerful and world-controlling? Sorry. it's just a bunch of guys who do odd things. Alan Pinkerton (yes, that one) infiltrated the New York Firemen's Association. He witnessed them doing ceremonies with veils and handshakes and Three Distinct Taps with a Mallet. He called it (direct quote) "the silliest bosh imaginable". Sorry- Satan was hardly part of New York Firemen's professional interest.

Yes, the LDS temple is odd, has unquestionably Masonic roots, and has gone through lots and lots of iterations. And yes, the participants have ascribed lots of cosmic and spiritual and heavenly power to it. But it's all for show. If you are creeped out by the thought of spending a night there, you have seen The Exorcist one too many times. And for all the TBM lurkers, the General Authorities do not go there at midnight to meet with Jesus or Moses or Joseph Smith.

As for Ouija boards, if they really work they are properly the subject for engineers, not theologians. Think about it: an unlimited, non-entropy-constrained power supply requiring only the presence of three or four 13-year-old girls! Call MIT and Cal Tech ASAP!!! Get really big ones for our next dam-building project or smaller ones to run my table saw!! Call a patent attorney!!!!!

My thoughts on Cosmic Powers are the same as those of some guy named Little Billy Shakespeare (I'm sure that's what his mother called him): the "fault" lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.

I hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 04:42AM by slskipper.

Posted by: Cagirl not logged in ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 04:26PM

The problem with the argument that the symbols on the temple did not represent Satanism when the temple was built is it doesn't explain why they are STILL there. Back when the temple was built, the swastika was considered a sacred symbol ... the eternal cross. Only in the Hitler generation did it becomes a symbol of supreme evil. But if there were one on the temple nowadays, you can bet it would have been removed by now. So why are the "satanic" symbols still there?

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 07:32AM

As slskipper said all the symbols are masonic.
And I always think the temple clothes clothes were ridiculous.
But when I did baptisms for the dead I never thought that it was weird I thought I was helping people to reach a better place.
But when I read and then saw the endowment ceremony I thought that isn't the same religion I joined, that's a f#cking cult. Specially reading about the temple penalties and watching the circle prayer made me think how creepy mormonism is.
I never went through the veil personally but I took the veil out of my eyes which was more useful LOL.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 07:51AM

The temple was one of my last paradoxes to sort out. If Mormonism is false, why does the temple feel good? I think it's because mind affects matter. Many minds, big effect. Consecrated spaces and places regarded as sacred do have a special feel to them. Minds leave an imprint.

BTW, that's why you should have one room in your house that's always clean. It's your sacred place that's special because you make it special.

In the case of the Ouija board, one mind is moving the pointer. The reason spooky things start happening, I think, is that use of the board unlocks mental powers that are difficult to control. Most people have chaotic minds, so chaos results. It has nothing to do with Satan.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 01:03PM

I hope you never find yourself sitting alone in the hotel lobby of Marriott. It's just like sitting in the celestial room of the temple. It just might creep you out and scare the daylights out of you.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 02:07PM

Yes--a Marriott lobby! And all the people come out of the elevators wearing white bathrobes and slippers and towels on their heads and covering their faces--and they move as a group, quietly, slowly, and with determination--without saying one word.

Thanks for that image. Before just now, I always thought I felt the presence of evil in the temple, every time I went. It made me dizzy and sick to my stomach and unable to breathe. Maybe it was the smothering veil and the stale air, or maybe my gut was telling me to run out of there.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 04:45PM

Joe the man ho & Brig the pig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I've heard about several peoples ouija
> board experiences my mom played with one once and
> she said two of the girls she was playing it with
> were able to lift another girl up into the air
> using just there pinky fingers. Please no one try
> a board cause just in case satan IS real it
> definitely isnt worth it. I am still not 100
> percent sure I believe in an afterlife but hearing
> the stories it gives me more faith in one than the
> lds church ever did! LOL I'm NOT about to try a
> board though and please nobody else here ever try
> one better safe than sorry ya know?

Ouija: The Most Dangerous Game by Stoker Hunt

https://www.amazon.com/Ouija-Most-Dangerous-Stoker-Hunt/dp/0060923504/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508099958&sr=8-1&keywords=ouija+most+dangerous+game

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: October 15, 2017 06:41PM

Just FYI from a distinguished veteran of many a girlish slumber party...we did that whole pinky lifting thing without the help of a Ouija board. We actually just chanted 'light as a feather, stiff as a board' and up went little Susie...about six inches, until we all freaked out and squealed and oohe'd and aah'd at our supernatural prowess before running into the bathroom to see if we could tempt fate with Bloody Mary.

She never showed, nor could we divine the names of future husbands by performing voodoo numerology by matching our names with male classmates and writing house, mansion, shack 12345...

Believe me, childhood anecdotes are not the place to go to vet the existence of the supernatural, good or bad. I am a whole lot more worried about lone wolf shooters, perverted executives, psycho dictators and the meth addict the cops grabbed at my workplace than nebulous rumors of some cosmic BigBad. In other words, human evil, human ills explain what's going on upon the mortal coil, not more of the same scare sauce the cult laid on us.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:24PM

We levitated each other many times. I don't believe it works with grownups but haven't tried lately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 10:24PM by siobhan.

Posted by: USN77 ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 02:08PM

A couple of observations that are not meant to reflect on other people's experiences or beliefs, just my own:

1. When I was LDS, Satan was a frequent, unwelcome visitor. He tempted me to think I was a terrible person. He flashed unwelcome thoughts into my mind. Generally, he just made my life unpleasant, and I spent a lot of time in prayer for help to get him to leave me alone. Then I found out the LDS church wasn't true, and I did a lot of research about religion. I stopped believing in Satan, and he has left me alone ever since.

2. When I was in junior high, my older sister went to a lot of parties with friends where they used ouija boards. She believed in them. On a couple of occasions, she used a board in our home with one of my brothers, and they learned that our house was filled with evil spirits. Once she let me use the board with her. The planchette moved. I knew I wasn't doing it, and my sister didn't think she was doing it. It told us some interesting things. Fast forward 30 years or so. I bought a ouija board and tried it out with a couple of my children. We waited for quite a long time, and the planchette didn't move once. I suspect that suggestion is the main force behind both Satan and the ouija board. But that's just me.

Date: October 16, 2017 02:22PM

An article about the case of "Patience Worth." Although nothing has yet convinced me that "Patience" was an actual spirit of a once living person, nonetheless, "she" first manifested through a Ouija Board operated by a housewife named Pearl Curran.

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/patience-worth-analysis

Date: October 16, 2017 02:29PM

By the way, the "Patience Worth" case (mentioned in my pervious post) was instrumental in causing a friend of mine to leave the Mormon Church. He felt that the literary output of "Patience" showed that it would have been no problem for Joseph Smith to have produced the Book of Mormon completely on his own.

Date: October 17, 2017 10:19PM

Luckylucas yes! Learning about the temple ceremony and about the temple penalties made me think it was a cult as well and about how naked people all would have to stand in a tub naked together like what did horny ol Joe wanna drill a peephole so he could spy on all the women all nakey together or something? Lol and I liked how you said it took the veil out of my eyes!! Good one!!! LOL

Date: October 17, 2017 10:34PM

And yes the prayer circle is creepy! And the temple didn't seem like the religion I joined either super super weird I wish they told people what went on in there sooner! I'm sure that's why they don't cause they know its freaking weird! I was pretty shockdd to find out about the penalties because in young womens they always taught about how "peaceful" the temple is ya ripping my intestinss out is sure the most peaceful thing ever even if JUST a pantomime STILL!

And mother who knows oh man ya my friend told me she got a creepy feeling in the temple too! And ya I heard about patience worth! I been watching a paranormal show about peoples paranormal experiences who knows if any of them are real but if so its super creepy! LOL my friend told me she conjured up bloody Mary once she was like I saw her! But for all I know she might have just seen her own reflection in the dark or something! Oh man that was mean of me! I just have a hard time believing she actually saw her but who knows maybe she did haha she wanted to try again in my bathroom but I like to go into a bathroom to find relief I'm not to keen on the idea of some freak commin outta the mirror at me when I'm in there. So I didn't wanna try it.....just in case

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 04:38PM

If i would have known about what really went on in the temple as a kid especially the death oaths. I would have been out, go to child protective services or something, who am i kidding the whole town was mormon i had no where to go.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 02:06PM

It is all creepy and i still think about it to this day. I feel so betrayed that words don't describe it. The temple does not match anything i learned as a kid about god and all that. New name noah is a hero in my book an absolute hero for doing that to save me from it all.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 18, 2017 05:12PM

My grandmother told me that you find out something new every time you go to the temple, so I used to look for this, and even the tiniest thing I noticed fulfilled her prophecy. How dumb and naive and vulnerable we can be in the process of growing up.

Date: October 18, 2017 06:30PM

I not only believed that, but I was even more naïve.

I used to think that there was some kind of secret room where all the greatest mysteries would be unlocked (I imagined some sort of library~ silly me). I figured that it could only be accessed from the celestial room so I kept watching, but I only saw people leaving to return to their respective dressing rooms. Discovering that nothing inspirational ever occurs while wearing fatuous baking hats was the greatest disappointment in the church.

Date: October 19, 2017 12:36AM

Messygoop I'm sorry that must have been very dissapointing! Pollythinks yes they fooled us all! And badass if I had known about the temple and death oaths sooner I would have been out as well! I wish I had known! I'm sure that's why they keep it secret so that people don't freak out all I was told growing up was that it was the most special/peaceful experience on earth. And then I find out abouts the death oaths ya sounds real...peaceful ya new name Noah is pretty awesome did you ever hear about the guy named Stephen who was gay who's mom wouldn't accept him so he was going to kill himself but then he saw new name Noah's videos and realized hey I'm in a cult so I'm not going to kill myself now and he was able to live with his friend? Ya new name Noah really is a hero!!! I'm glad he does what he does! And man badass I'm so sorry you are hurting so bad I honestly don't know how the cult can get away with what there doing to people its so beyond wrong!!! I also don't understand how they can live with what they are doing its just so. Wrong!!! I wonder what sick thrill they geg out of it? You would just feel so horrible or at least you would think!

Date: October 19, 2017 09:34AM

Here's another way the cult takes over us. They have such a powerful mind control that they get you to doubt your own abilities. Even though I was foolish enough to think that there was a secret, yet revealing place where all of the grand mysteries of heavens would be unlocked. I heard so many members in my ward and stake bear witness that all the truth and revelations were being revealed at the temple and this led to my questioning of myself. I began to wonder why I wasn't experiencing this. And I never thought it to be a matter of righteousness. I was doing the entire charade of following church rules, serving others. Hell, I was even doing the personal reading of the scriptures.

It all becomes crystal clear when you realize that it's all a farce.

Date: October 19, 2017 09:54AM

I never really went through the temple but I also believed stories like that of people saying amazing things happened in there. And I also heard of people experiencing an amazing feeling reading the BoM I read the BoM and never had those special feelings I was just really bored but figured it was just me. It really does become crystal clear why when you realize it was all a farce.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.