Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 07:39PM

What's the dating scene like where your from if your in your 30s, utah I only got the sad mid singles scene or POF type deals. What does the "outside" world do to meet people and what do you do for dates when you do meet people

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 07:50PM

I thought this was covered in the "mormons on Tinder" thread?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 07:56PM

Facebook,

Work place,

friends,

Find a singles dating site.

Just never go to those mormon singles dances.... its like they

let the crazy people out for the night but forgot to give them

their meds. Trust me, it sucks.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 08:01PM

Probably the best way to meet the "right" people for you is to be introduced via a friend or family member who knows both of you well, but since this happens only a small percentage of the time...

The SECOND best way of meeting the "right" people for you is to figure out what your own, genuine, interests are and then become more sociable within those areas.

Obviously, many of the special interests people have are heavily-weighted on one side of the gender spectrum or the other, but frequently these still can be possible venues...especially when you consider the fact that even the "wrong" gender people in those special interests have friends and family members of the "right" gender who might be a really good fit for you.

Figure out all the things you've "always" wanted to do (but never actually did), and follow through with these interests (to the point where you know they might be productive for you in a social way... or not). For example: If you've always wanted to go to Italy, or India, or Japan, take an intro course in Italian, or Hindi (or Sanskrit! :D ), or Japanese, and you might find multiple "possibles" there who also share your interest in whatever-it-is.

This same principle works for just about any special interest: follow that interest (at least to the point where you discover if there are "possibles" for you there, or not).

Once you meet a possible, and there seems to be some mutual interest in each other, it is then easy to "go out for coffee" to discuss Japanese verbs or Sanskrit case endings or the best mountain hiking boots or SCUBA tanks or whatever...

...and then it is very easy to go on from there if you both find that you are interested in each other.

In my personal experience: following your own special interests is the best way I know of to meet the people who can become, over time, the "love of your life," and in the meantime, you will probably discover that you have become a MUCH more interesting person yourself, as you learn a little about a lot of things, and a whole lot about your true self.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 08:04PM by Tevai.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 17, 2017 10:52AM

^^^^ This is the best "where do I find dates" advice in this thread so far.

What do I do on dates?

* Go see a concert/live music.
* Get dinner.
* Check out a movie.
* Go to a festival or fair or other event, in my town or another town nearby. (Example: Florida Seafood Festival, any State Fair or County Fair, most cities have some sort of themed festival at least once a year.)
* Go to a museum.
* Go to a car show, Cars & Coffee event, or a race.
* Take the dog for a hike in the woods.
* Attend a friend's house party.
* Go have drinks, dinner, dancing.
* Road Trip!
* Beach Day!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 10:16PM

I wouldn't go to a singles church dance now, even if I was looking for a woman (happy with what I have). Who are you going to find there? A woman who wants a temple marriage, a subdued sex life, and to throw away ten percent of your income to the church. What a loosing combination. Unless you can find a visiting non-member there, better off not going at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 10:18PM by azsteve.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 06:08PM

Just a reminder that in much of the US that isn't Utah, begin married before 30 is often considered "rushing it."
In Utah, if you're 30 and unmarried, you're an anomaly.
Everywhere else, it's the norm.

So the 30 and over dating scene is hoppin' outside of Utah. They don't make you go to "Geez Why Aren't You Married Yet" socials or dances organized for the desperate, spouseless, and childless like the mormons do :)

(married at 33 <grin>)

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 06:58PM

I'm a 38-year-old single mom living in the Salt Lake valley. I have found quality men to date on match.com and various meetup groups.

It's kind of funny, though, that the men I've been dating most recently are transplants and not from Utah.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 16, 2017 07:17PM

There really isn't much there for people in their thirties where i am at. Pocatello is where people go to die in peace as my grandma did.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.