Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 08:45PM

Four years ago, roughly, a missionary died in Mexico, in the Vera Cruz mission, if I recall correctly.

Details were scarce and no statement was made, by anyone, to clear the muddied waters.

One thing that did come out though, was a follow up allegation that White American male missionaries were 'hated' by the Brown native missionaries, with a finger pointing at the deceased missionary's native companion, who according to news reports was not in the apartment at the time of the death.

Three years ago I looked at a site that discussed the case, and noted a disqus message that had been left four years ago, a year earlier. I typed up a follow up message to that poster, but never got a response. I just happened to check back and my message, three years, had a follow up message:

"Elder Old Dog There is more to this then the church will reveal because they are too busy trying to cover their tracks. They are "hiding the ball" on this one. And there are still no answers. Today Peter would have been 21 years old. I miss him every day!"

Does anyone here know anything about the follow up to Elder Peter Maughan's death? I remain very curious...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 01:47AM

I've never heard this story, but I'll have to wait until I shake this cold/flu/etc before I look at it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 10:29AM

I don't know what happened (and can't find anything official about the investigation), but here's what the family is telling everyone:

"So Mom, There was a missionary that
died in the field in serving in Mexico.
He is our old ward mission leader's son. Our old ward mission leader-
brother Maughan's son died a couple of weeks ago....really sad....it was a
suicide. He got sick and started taking
pill medication to recover from his sickness.
So after he recovered from his sickness he continued to take the pills
which caused him to developed severe depression. There was a note found that
was left...basically Elder Peter Allen Maughan was serving his mission in
Mexico. One day his companion walked in
the room (don't remember where he was) and found a cord wrapped around Elder
Maughan's neck and a bag over his head...awful! Now there's TONS of coverage about this and a
lot of speculation. I don't care what is
being said in the media. There's a lot
of stuff out there saying it was murder or they're trying to use this to
speculate all this baloney about the LDS church. I don't care what anyone out there saying. Brother Maughan had the spirit confirm to him
that his son's test in life was done and completed. He did everything our Heavenly Father wanted
him to do...his son will not be accountable for this! The medication made him do this..."

(from https://www.missionarymailbag.com/elderstevenkinard/16th-letter-9 )

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 11:33AM

I think I read everything extant back in the weeks after the event. What stirred me now was the message from a year later. One is left to assume that the Elders's divorced parents were silenced via some combination of money and perceived authority.

I was just curious to see if anyone in this community had any info.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.