Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 07:15PM

I'm not a very social person but I'd like to be able to talk face-to-face with other like-minded people about church issues. Before I jump into anything I need to know more about what to expect. One option I've considered is the Sunday get-togethers at Harmons in Draper since it is fairly close to me.

How often do these things happen?

What is the average age, if any?

Is the conversation heavy and filled with anger?

How many people attend?

Do you use your screen name?

Is there a cover charge?

I'd appreciate any other information that may make me feel more comfortable. I am borderline agoraphobic and have something akin to PTSD so it needs to be an inviting atmosphere. If I sense anything less than that I would turn around and go home. And I don't want to get into a situation that would stir up my resentment of the church. I just want confirmation that there are people out there who feel the way I do. There are many on this board who seem hostile. I don't want any of that coming at me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 07:28PM

I went twice, once to Starbucks with my young son, and once to Cabelas. It wasn't my kind of crowd but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and I don't recall much talk specifically about how Mormonism sucks sweaty sack. They were just enjoying each other's company for the most part.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 02:24AM

Indeed, you get to know people and the conversations don't always involve Mormonism. It just depends on who shows up and what they need.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 06:41AM

No, I haven't encountered any hostility, and I can be one of the more "cantankerous" sorts here when I'm riled and there's some leftover road rage...

No charge; we meet upstairs by Harmon's deli and coffee shop...

People know my real name, but they've been solid about keeping it confidential... Attendance, in my experience, has been around ten to twenty...

I haven't put in an appearance in nearly a year, but it's always an option. I think you might like it.

Date: October 14, 2017 02:29AM

Hi, Cabbie. We always like seeing you. Drop on by when you feel the need. As for identities, you are correct. Some people use their screen name, others their real name. Just depends on the individual. Average attendance right now is about 10 to 20. That may increase a bit as the whether get colder.

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 09:01AM

I've always wanted to go to one of these. I think it would be fun to meet others who can relate.

Is there a list of them somewhere? Or do they mostly just happen spontaneously and occasionally?

Date: October 14, 2017 02:30AM

They're generally pretty organized. You can find a list of them here.... http://mormonspectrum.org

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 10:58AM

I went once, more than a year ago...Sunday morning at 10AM isn't a optimal time for me, and that morning it was raining really hard. I live downtown SLC so the drive south on I15 was really tough, 30 minutes in a downpour.

Having said that, I met some nice people. There were at least 20-25 mostly men IIRC and it was kind of noisy in the sense that my old man hearing made it hard to hear any individual conversations. After 20+ years out of church activity, I still haven't developed a taste for coffee so I had a nice bagel and diet coke. There's no cover charge unless you want a bagel etc.

I think we were done by 1130ish and I went to visit my son and his family who live in what we used to call Crescent, but is now Sandy. I've thought about going again and then I look at the clock and it's 1030AM on Sunday.

Date: October 14, 2017 02:34AM

Yeah, sometimes it can get a bit noisy. We've found that sitting in small groups helps a bit. You are correct about no cover charge. Harmons has a coffee bar and deli if anyone is hungry or thirsty. They do a good job with what they have. Harmons just asks that no one brings in outside food or drink.

Date: October 14, 2017 02:39AM

Tom Padley, we'd love to have you come by. I try and keep an eye out for anyone new. If you decide to drop in, just mention RfM when I ask you how you found us. I'll know and will make sure I introduce you to some of the more relaxed folks whose emotions aren't quite as raw from leaving. It'll be a good experience. We also have quite the age range there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 02:40AM by Bite Me.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 10:20AM

I have driven there from 80 miles away. Stop in the store. Grab a big coffee. Put a smile on your face and go upstairs to join in. I am truly an introvert. Groups are hard for me. Not this one. Good people. Good times. Just go!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.