Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 09:28AM

Tinder is known as the hookup site. But here in Utah I'm seeing so many mormon girls on there who even put on their profile, "No hookups". They've taken it over

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 10:23AM

Well, that's good. It's a good thing for people to avoid depersonalizing themselves. "Casual" sex is damaging to the psyche and dehumanizing.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 06:03PM

For them, it's not "casual hookups," it's causal.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 02:26PM

Is it really? I never had a problem with it... I just felt like it was a natural thing to do... *shrug*

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 10:49AM

But what's the point? Isn't Tinder exclusively for casual sex hookups? Aren't there another hundred services for people who just want to meet people to socialize, etc.

And why do I get the feeling that a good chunk of these women who put "no hookups" on their Tinder profile just put that to either make themselves feel better or they give the impression that they aren't easily bedded...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 10:51AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 11:33AM

"Every tinder a missionary!"
- - Anonymous, Eighth Earl of Bollocks

Date: October 08, 2017 11:40AM

The reputation Tinder has gained seems mostly to be equated with physical hookups, but I've read articles that were people telling their stories of how they met their spouse, and some had used Tinder as just a dating site.

And if a woman writes "No Hookups" then take her at her word. If she actually wants hookups she will have to remove that.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 12:41PM

If she changes her mind, is it a "Tinder Mercy"?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 12:53PM

Well played. I do believe that is the new term.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 11:57AM

They are obsessed with it in idaho. I saw it as dangerous and still do.

Date: October 08, 2017 12:04PM

I take everyone at their word unless I have some reason not to. The very nature of the application- given what it is most often used for, hookups- seems to fly in the face of the whole "no hookups" thing.

I'm not making a moral judgment. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I mean, no one goes to backpages.com to look for christian singles to meet at the coffee shop, and men don't get on the Grindr app to meet other women.

The reputations that these dating applications have- negative or positive, effective or ineffective- are well merited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 12:05PM by midwestanon.

Date: October 08, 2017 12:35PM

Not to be a stickler, but we don't know that "no one" does that. People are going to do what they want to do.
Some people just enjoy being different.

As long as a site doesn't expressly limit itself to only people with a certain persuasion, then users will use it as they wish.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 08, 2017 12:38PM

Thank goodness that doesn't happen here on RfM!

Date: October 08, 2017 06:14PM

That is precisely my point. You could go to Grindr to look for women or backpages to look for Christian singles, and you can go to Tinder to look for fulfilling relationships, but finding those things would be the exception, not the rule.

As for Mormons using Tinder, I would be very curious about its furtive use amongst Mormons wishing to discreetly have sex outside of marriage, weather before or during. In this way I suspect they're not any different than any other group of people who are using Tinder, aside from the cultural taboo that Mormons have against fornication.

Has anyone here ever encountered Mormons looking for other disaffected Mormons to have sexual encounters with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 06:15PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: AZcurmurgeon ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 02:10AM

Craigslist Phoenix periodically runs casual encounters ads looking for Mormons for sex.

Date: October 09, 2017 03:11AM

"Does anyone else find garments as sexy as I do?"

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 05:17PM

Maybe it used to be a hook up app but I think today it's more of a multi-purpose dating app. Some use to to date and some use it for hooking up.

I see Tinder like meeting a stranger at a bar. Some people might go home with you for a one night stand and some might give you a phone number to go on a regular date.

Most of the girls I dated on Tinder were NOT looking for a hookup and I'm in California.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 01:46AM

Swipe left left left, oh shit! Should have swiped right! How do I get that dude back? Damn!

Anything beyond a hookup is accidental.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 08:45AM

what's a hookup ?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 03:36PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what's a hookup ?

It's what trailerites do when they reach a trailer park. They hookup their water, sewer and electrical lines.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 12:09PM

in b 4 ~

"no hookups" = will hookup

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.