Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thaddeus ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 03:51PM

I recently attended the funeral of a zealously uptight Mormon. I was surprised to see that the deceased had been posed in her casket with a temple recommend clutched in her hands. This seems weird, creepy, and pathetic. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this practice? I've been to countless Mormon funerals but this was new to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 03:52PM

How Egyptian of her.

(Edit to fix spelling so I look LESS foolish)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 04:01PM by Levi.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 05:28PM

Ah, I see, Levi--in a thousand years some huckster will "translate" that temple recommend and use it to persuade & intimidate teen girls to "marry" him....

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 09:33AM

I nominate this for best RFM comeback ever.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 08:10AM

Laugh now, but I've seen entire religions start with such grabass. ;-)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 09:19AM

I wish there was one of those laugh buttons I could just click.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 03:50PM

That would be tight or maybe annoying if the laugh made noise for us all to hear.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 06:40AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 04:20PM

Dad wasn't clutching his when he was buried....but I found it in his stuff when we were gathering up his things and I buried it in the landfill.

Posted by: Responded ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 04:34PM

Won't she be surprised when she is told the Temple is based on Luciferianism, that she was duped - and she can't go back to warn her family.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 05:02PM

There is actually a scripture in the NT where the deceased -
in the other place - wanted to go back to warn his family but, too bad, he couldn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 05:03PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 05:48PM

My temple recommend sealed and buried cousin whose funeral I attended this past winter it seems paid me a visit in the months following her funeral. I shared it with her sister who told me it was because I left the 'gospel' and she was coming back to warn me.

It wasn't like that at all. Her spirit was in turmoil, and she was not at peace. She was in the same temple dress she'd been buried in when she appeared to me. She was very angry and vexed. The problems she'd had in life had transferred over to the after life. She wasn't at peace or "whole" as her TBM sister believed she was now that she is dead.

I did a spiritual cleansing of my home after that to hopefully send her on her way. So far it seems to have worked. Right after that dream visitation I had of her though, I felt her spirit in my home for a few days letting me know her spirit was not at peace.

She died broken and estranged from her family. How do you fix that after you're gone?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 05:58PM

for your home.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the process? I'm a big fan of the smudging-sage method that the Native Americans use here in the Southwest. Not sure if it has much effect on evil vibes, but it really makes your house smell like it has had a good dose of something positive, and that works for me.

And before anybody chimes in with "All that stuff is mumbo-jumbo, why bother with it?" I just want to say that it never hurts to hedge your bets.

Date: October 03, 2017 06:16PM

I ended up ordering some white sage and lavendar smudge stick on Amazon that came with free shipping. It was a large size one that I thought would last for more than one use. Barely used it that once - still have lots left. https://www.amazon.com/Shamans-Market-_/dp/B00RNHD5EG/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1507068619&sr=1-4&keywords=white+sage+and+lavender+smudge+stick

I lit one end of the very large cigar looking thingy that arrived in the mail, and went from room to room through my house reciting three prayers. One was the prayer of St. Mary's. One was the Lord's Prayer. And then I recited Psalms 23 to send her on her way.

I told her to go toward the light and directed her upwards. Walked through the house 2-3 times doing that with doors and windows open to let the fresh air in and ventilate the house from the smelly smudge stick.

Hadn't heard of that before someone told me about it here on RfM. So I learned about it here. It did seem to help calm the spirits - hers and mine! :)

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 11:12PM

I saw that done in a movie- some cajun woman was swinging it all around her cabin/house. She was really in to it.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 04:04PM

I really hate to be the one to have to tell you this so far into life's game, but there are no such things as ghosts. Ebenezer Scrooge was right, as it turns out, when he postulated that it was probably a bit of underdone potato undigested beef. Or also a dream.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 07:50PM

I totally agree, but I was captivated by the thought of some sage incense.I'll bet that smells nice.

Date: October 03, 2017 11:10PM

how do you fix it after they are gone?

temple work.....I just had to say that. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 11:47PM by cutekitty.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 04:39PM

"Bishop, you can take by temple recommend when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:04AM

Win !!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 05:08PM

What, you can't go through the pearly gates unless your paperwork is in order? lol

As a point of interest, it is not unusual for Catholics to be buried with rosaries in their hands.

Date: October 03, 2017 05:38PM

That is just plain creepy.

But then when my maternal grandfather died one of his daughters tucked a pack of cigarettes inside his suit jacket, with a book of matches - for the afterlife.

He was a lifelong smoker who died from emphysema. Cigarettes had been his "best friend" since he was a young orphaned boy.

Different strokes for different folks.

I thought that was weird too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 05:40PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 05:39PM

It would be kind
For all to see
My 'member' in hand
When they buried me...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 06:54PM

truth in packaging...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 11:04PM

We know your HANDiwork, BYU Boner--can't hide from us!

Date: October 05, 2017 03:51PM

Is that boner undercover?

Date: October 03, 2017 05:52PM

Noo f#cking way.

Posted by: not anonymous ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 06:32PM

Well, when her husband calls her forth, she's already got the proof in hand. Then all she has to do is pass by Joseph Smith, without whose approval no one can enter the CK.

JS: "New arrivals, art thou worthy to enter the kingdom of the lord? Hast thou been faithful to my principles and revelations?"

(Everyone speaks in King James English up there.)

Resurrected Grandma: "O, Joseph, Joseph! Behold my temple recommend! Lo, I proffer it to thee!"

JS: "I perceive that it hath expired, and validateth not thy presence. What else thou got? Signs and tokens I need not."

RG: [confused silence, rising panic]

JS: "Thine heaving bosom doth interest me greatly. Mayhap we can arrive at a mutual understanding. Thou shalt accompany me to yonder building, which is guarded by ye olde angel with a drawn sword. And thou, Resurrected Gramps, shalt remain steadfast in this place as thy wife discovers the mysteries of the kingdom; we will return shortly…"

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 06:41PM

Did anybody check to see if the Temple Recommend had expired?

I bet not.

Date: October 03, 2017 06:55PM

No, no, no! Don't mock! They know when it will expire and they already have plans for replacing it, so she always has a valid TR, because no one knows the day of His coming.

Date: October 03, 2017 11:16PM

The burial temple recommends have a "no expiration" stamped on it.

Date: October 03, 2017 11:20PM

My goodness! They actually prepare a good and proper TR, and put 'infinity' on it as the expiration date!!!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:55AM

Well, I hope they stamp *Infinity* on it, or slip a goodly amount of cash in the deceased's pocket. Getting that TR renewed doesn't come cheap!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 11:13PM

I have heard that it is common for people to be buaried in their temple clothes, even for open casket funerals.

Posted by: Thaddeus ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:02AM

Yes indeed, she was buried in full temple clothes, including the horrid veil. My theory about this whole thing is that it represents an excellent example of the typical Mormon desire to be seen by other Mormons (and by the rest of the population) as being extra devoted and extra special.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 02:08AM

Too funny.

I can see this only escalating as members have to outdo each other with other additions denoting spirituality, such as, CTR Rings (4 at least), Quad Book with name of deceased engraving, list of callings served in, etc. etc. etc.

Posted by: gordongrant ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 07:37AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 07:43AM by gordongrant.

Posted by: gordongrant ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 07:39AM

Never seen this before, but it makes all kinds of sense to me.

Let's say the deceased never was able to give the Second Token of the Melchizedek Priesthood to the veil worker in the temple without being prompted. Been there and done that...it's convoluted!

Now that she has to do it for real, and not just for practice, the stakes are REALLY high. "There's nobody at the veil to help you with your lines today, baby. You're ON YOUR OWN!"

So when Elohim asks for the name of the Second Token, and says "Will you give it to me?" She can say, "I can't because I never memorized it...it's real long and tricky and all...but here's my Celestial Kingdom ID card. Can I give it to you through the veil instead?"

Easy, peasy...Let her enter!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 07:55AM by gordongrant.

Posted by: jaded ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 09:52AM

So, what happens when it expires?

Date: October 05, 2017 10:32AM

It does not expire! That's the beauty of it all.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 08:33PM

my aunt and uncle were so damn proud of their stupid MORmON missionary name plates that they wore EVERYWHERE, including family reunions where everyone knew who they were. when she died, I fully expected to see hers pinned onto her temple clothes as she lay in her coffin.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 10:38PM

Date: October 05, 2017 11:45PM

I personally don't want to get that close to him even if I am dead. I do not want to be anywhere he is.

I wanna be crispy and burn!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.