Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:12AM

The pain is just rediculous and i am on the best meds for it and it still isnt enough. My mother has diabetes and she says that i show all of the signs with the nerve pain in the legs to the feet. So i think it is wise to get tested since it runs in the family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:14AM

Sounds like a good plan.

Date: September 26, 2017 11:24AM

I have always been afraid that i might have it. I saw my mom pricking her fingers all the time growing up and just thought i hope that never happens to me. But she said it could get the nerve pain under control if it is the problem and that is all that matters to me really at this point. The nerve pain meds dont really touch this so i have to see if it really is diabetes. It could help me get my life back if i can figure this one thing out.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:48AM

I deal with neuropathy in my feet, have had the nerve conduction testing (never again), and was given a sure diagnosis. However, my blood sugar is just fine and always has been. It probably has some kind of autoimmune connection since I have Raynaud's, but the feeling is completely different. The neuropathy meds are no help and not worth the side effects.

I am the farthest thing from an Eastern medicine proponent, but I have to admit that the first thing that has helped is accupuncture. Either that, or it magically got better on its own about the same time I started the accupuncture (mormonism has made me such a skeptic). But I do it as often as I can afford it cause at this point, if it's all in my head--fine, give me the placebo that makes me feel better.

Date: September 26, 2017 12:23PM

I have been doing acupuncture as well for the past few months and i do think it helps so i dont think it is all in your head. It only gets the pain so low though it never gets rid of it totally. I am a skeptic of all things also i dont even trust my own reflection for christ's sake but its getting better.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 04:53PM

I have neuropathy in both feet, and it is extremely painful. I'm in a wheelchair because I refuse to be constantly on narcotics. Many of my relatives have this problem and it is not diabetes. All the drs can say is "Well, it's obviously inherited." They have me on Nortriptoline, but even with that the pain can be pretty severe.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:26AM

I've been tested for diabetes over and over for the last 15 years for pain in my feet. Never shows that diabetes is the issue. After that long and no one ever being able to tell me what is wring, I've just learned to live with it.

Hope you get some kind of answer.

Date: September 26, 2017 11:35AM

Thanks fossilman, there has to be some kind of reason that my legs and feet dont feel normal it is a riddle for sure.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:28AM

I've had non-diabetic neuropathy for years. Pain and loss of feeling in my feet. My last blood test a week ago indicated that I may be moving into the area of diabetes. I'm 67 so it's likely to be type 2 if at all. Best to get it checked out!

Date: September 26, 2017 11:33AM

Alright thanks would i be type 2 at 34 years old?

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:40AM

Not sure when type 1 shows up. Try Web MD. That's my go-to source.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:57AM

Date: September 26, 2017 12:25PM

Alright sweet, type 2 is the better one right? I have a friend in arizona that got type 1 at the age of 19 or 20.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 07:34PM

Type I Diabetes Mellitus--usually diagnosed in the early years of life (through adolescence and sometimes early adulthood). Cause--autoimmune destruction of the islet cells of the pancreas (insulin producing cells). Usual initial presentation--diabetic ketoacidosis (a potentially life threatening metabolic derangement characterized by dehydration, low total body potassium, acidosis and hyperglycemia. In retrospect such patients have been losing weight and exhibiting polydipsia (excess thirst) and polyuria (increased urination). Therapy is with insulin.

Type II Diabetes Mellitus--more common than type I. Can be diagnosed at any stage of life although it was usually diagnosed in adulthood. The pediatric obesity epidemic as well as the more common prescribing of certain psychotropic medications to the pediatric population has increased the incidence in children and adolescents. Cause usually begins with insulin resistance at the tissue level. In fact at this stage patients are hyperinsulinemic. Those at risk for insulin resistance are usually overweight or obese. Given that insulin has growth hormone activity the hyper insulin state creates a cycle of increased insulin resistance. The usual presentation is an elevated blood sugar caught by screening. These individuals do not develop diabetic ketoacidosis but can develop other metabolic abnormalities. Therapy is initially with a variety of oral medications which, if ineffective, are supplemented with or replaced by insulin.

Both types of diabetics are prone to the large vessel (coronary disease, peripheral arterial disease and cerebrovascular disease) and small vessel disease (blindness and kidney failure) as well as peripheral neuropathy. The large vessel diseases are a function of lipid control and the small vessel and neuropathic diseases are functions of blood sugar control. Both type I and type II are bad actors. Type I tends to get more notice than type II because people tend to have the disease longer. However the long term effects of type II can be just as devastating.

Date: September 26, 2017 10:08PM

If i have one of those and i treat it with insulin will the neurapothy go away?

Posted by: Anon 2 ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 07:06AM

No.
Are you on gabapentin or Lyrica yet? The next step is a spinal stimulator. But have you tried hypnosis? Biofeedback? Sleep? Therapeutic massage? Fentynal sprays?

Date: September 27, 2017 09:10AM

I am on lyrica and i just started cymbalta, massage i have tried but it seems that acupuncture works better. I havent tried the other things but i am going to get a sleep study done pretty soon here i just barely told my nuerologist about the leg issues so they want to see if its a restless leg type of thing.

Posted by: Anon 2 ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 12:31AM

Ok,it takes more than 1 month for Lyrica to start. They also have to gradually get you up there. I don't know what your copay is but there is a copay coupon on line that lowers it to 25.
For spasms I use trazadine but they start you low on Valium. Tens.

There are fentynal and lidocaine patches. Therapeutic massage works. I take ambine so that I can sleep. Alot of money right now is being pushed into chronic paid because of the opiod crisis. Give it 3 years max.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:35PM

Developed neuropathy close to 10 years ago. Gabapentin has made all the difference. Doesn't work for everyone, and since it was originally developed as an anti-seizure medicine, it can have side effects. Fortunately I haven't noticed any.

Could-be-worth-checking-out-ly yrs,

S

Date: September 26, 2017 01:01PM

Been on gabapentin and it did work for a while then it just stopped and i had to switch to lyrica and then that stopped so now i am on cymbalta and i kind of notice a difference but i feel i have to investigate more on what is happening.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 05:04PM

I, too, have neuropathy in the front third of each foot, for years. I have been to neurologists, who can never pinpoint a reason for it. Definitely not diabetes. Repeated testing has confirmed this.

A while back, one of my doctors had me try Gabapentin. After a single dose, I was uncharacteristically cranky and snappy. After the second dose, I was so ragingly angry I was afraid I would kill somebody. I don't think I am exaggerating here.

I quit taking the Gabapentin, took it to one of those drug-disposal bins at a local police station, and dumped it. Amazingly, within less than 24 hours, my normal, relatively benign (and definitely NOT homicidal) self was back.

And, just for the record, it didn't help my feet, either.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:45PM

Type 1 diabetes comes on like a freight train. You'd be very ill if you had it. Type 2 diabetes comes on slowly and silently. Symptoms could include weight loss and thirst.

Date: September 26, 2017 12:59PM

I definitely have the thirst.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 07:46PM

I was just in to see my doctor yesterday and she told me that I will have more pain in my feet when my sugars aren't under control. I don't necessarily have pain. I have numbness and numbness can drive you NUTS. I have a band across the top of my foot of numbness. The gabapentin does help that. The hot feet (they call it something else), it doesn't seem to help as much, but I only get it now and then.

I don't necessarily have pain or I don't call whatever it is pain. I've heard others definitely have something different than I do. Compression socks help A LOT. Sometimes they make the numbness band worse.

Oh, have you tried compression socks? There's a place in Utah that makes great ones.

Anyway, everyone responds different and has different symptoms.

I definitely don't keep my sugars under good control, although they are under much better control since I went on insulin 2 years ago. I was scared shitless of the shots, but they are no big deal.

My dad had type 2, my maternal grandmother had type 2, and 2 of my siblings have type 2.

Date: September 26, 2017 10:11PM

Never tried compression socks but i definitely have that band of numbness under my feet.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 07:48PM

Man, I hope they can nail the pain issue. Keep us posted!

Date: September 26, 2017 10:14PM

I hope so too my body is a wreck boner, or it feels like one with the nerve pain issues. My legs dont even feel like real legs its nuts.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 10:51PM

Traumatic neuropathy from a car accident and diabetic neuropathy.
Having your AC1 level checked is a good idea, especially if it runs in your family. See if there are certain things that affect it e.g.-pain not long after eating something sugary, or after not eating for a while. When my spasms are at their worst, I take Valium, which quiets the nerves, but can make you groggy. And pricking your fingers is no big deal, barely even feel it. Good lick with your diagnosis.

Date: September 27, 2017 09:14AM

Thanks man i hope the pricking is no big deal.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 04:22PM

Pricking is really, really easy and 99% pain free.

You'll be fine.

Date: September 28, 2017 05:29PM

Haha i am actually waiting to see the doctor now and ask him to get me tested. I will trust you about the pricking if it looks like i have it.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 12:04AM

Particles of Faith summarized Type 1 and type 2 very nicely.

A diagnosis of Type 2 is probably more common, especially in today's world, than would be a diagnosis of Type 1. Neither is a Type 1 diagnosis uncommon in the 30's, though. Neither one is something i would be pleased to be diagnosed with, but if I had my choice, I'd go for Iype 2.

Others have mentioned that they've had similar pain not caused by diabetes. Of course there's no guarantee that you have diabetes, either, but with your symptoms, it is extremely wise to rule out diabetes ASAP. I'm glad you plan to be tested.

Does your mom have Type 1 or Type 2? There's a stronger hereditary link for Type 1, though there may be hereditary components for either. For Type 1, the CONDITION is thought to be inherited while a predisposition for Type 2 seems more likely to be passed on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 12:11AM by scmd.

Date: September 27, 2017 09:13AM

She has type 2 and got it in her early 40's.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 01:03AM

I had a friend that had numbness in the feet and tingling up his legs. Doctors ran all kinds of tests, finally after several years they determined he had multiple myeloma, or bone marrow cancer.

He put up a gallant fight, sure miss him, he was a great friend.

Something to think about if the doctors can't figure out what's wrong.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 04:08PM

Try little Kombucha tea. Said to be good for diabetes. Not a miracle cure, but it the antioxidant properties enhance the kidney and liver functions.
Available at your grocery, traderjoes, etc.
If we can get 10-20% help here, another 5-10% there, etc, it adds up.
Do well.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:23PM

I really hope you don't have diabetes. I have diabetic neuropathy and it hurts like hell, so I know what you are going through with the nerve pain. I take Gabapentin, which works well enough to help me sleep. I need Lyrica, but my insurance now refuses to pay for it. I hope you find something that really helps with that miserable pain.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:38PM

They say i do not have diabetes, but i have absolutely the most miserable pain you can imagine in my legs. I have vitamin D deficiency and iron defiency and calcium deficiency which i am treating now, i am hoping to god that my treatment of these works.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.