Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 02:43PM

This morning I'm in the kitchen doing dishes and the doorbell rings, followed by a loud knock...I'm not expecting anyone. I'm still in pajamas no less. Maybe it's UPS or something. Kids start running towards the door making all kinds of noise (now it's obvious we are home). I see through the translucent glass that it's 2 men wearing suits and holding what appeared to be scriptures. It wasn't the missionaries because they were obviously older men and weren't wearing the typical missionary uniform. I walked away and didn't answer...told my kids that we weren't answering, and went back to what I was doing. My first thought was that it was Mormons (bishopric, I guess?) My second thought was well maybe it's the JW's....but in my experience they always leave a flyer of some sort. When I checked the porch after they were gone there were no flyers or anything.

My neighbor across the street has recently been called to the bishopric. My nevermo hubby told him that I'm not interested in the church and that I've been harassed for many years. So why, only a few weeks later would they show up (I don't think my neighbor was with them)? I'm sure I'm a huge topic of conversation in their meetings, as my parents and one of my sisters are in this ward as well.
Refer to this thread about a recent passive/aggressive interaction with this neighbor:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2004983,2004983#msg-2004983

There's no better way to make your religion look like a cult than constant harassment of someone who left. Oh and by the way, I was born into it and never wanted to be a part of it in the first place!! Edited to add: I wish I didn't have material to post about, but I have so much garbage related to Mormonism that I experience and could post about weekly!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 01:00AM by bluebutterfly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 02:50PM

Good for you for not answering.

You've got better things to do than waste time with folks like that.

And you are teaching your kids that a knock on the door doesn't mean they HAVE to open it..

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 07:56PM

I agree. It is a bad idea to open the door to *any* stranger. If necessary you can talk to someone through a closed and locked door. And if someone is obviously soliciting, that is a further reason not to open the door.

Bluebutterfly, have you resigned? If not, are you able to do so? It sounds like you were visited by church members, possibly the bishopric.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin TP ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 03:20PM

Good choice.

You did the "right" thing.

We don't open the door to strange men in our pajamas or under clothes.

And we don't want to let our children think we do that(answer the door in pajamas to anyone that knocks) or learn they "ought" to do that (answer the door in their pajamas to any stranger or person that lives in the city whenever they knock uninvited) later when we are not home, or even later in their lives when they move on.

As a way of life, it's just 'not recommended ' or highly advisable

Because that conduct leaves one prey to predators. So. Lock on the door. Clothes on opening it. Not opening door to city denizens in pajamas. Just, never.

I mean even prostitutes get paid, they make, arrangements. People have , appointments. These people are asking you to be treated like , a street walker who can't even make appointments and choose whenever to open the door.

You don't want to model lacking social safety boundaries like that for your children. And you deserve better you don't bow down to anyone that knocks on the door by opening it to univited guests in your pajamas.

So you did the right thing

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 03:25PM

I've always wondered why so many people are afraid to not answer the door when it's JW's or Mormons. I never answer if I don't want to. Even if they could see right through the door I'd just ignore anyone I didn't want to see. And if they tried to camp outside my door I'd call the police without even giving them any warning. Gees people!! It's your home and you have rights. It's not about being polite. It's about being safe and secure in your own home.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 03:33PM

They dont leave me alone either i had to throwdown the smackdown really hard on two missionaries yesterday at my door. They totally ignored my no soliciting sign so i was an idiot and opened the door and the BATTLE began i always know they open about something off topic and not religious but i dove in going deep into all the religions bullsh#t one by one. It felt good but a new pair of missionaries will be back in a month they just never quit harrassing EVEN when you are active they knock on your door its ridiculous.

Posted by: wokie ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 07:42PM

The only way I've found that works to get rid of them is to get "aggressive" with them

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 07:50PM

I've never had any trouble with JSs - perhaps because I can talk at length on almost anything and I think they get tired of hearing what I think..... Without any insult, they just don't return....for years.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 07:56PM

You have my condolences.

By not answering the door you'll either make them more determined to get you to answer, or if they're at all intelligent take the queue and be gone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.