Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Paladin ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 05:11PM

Really struggling since God left the picture. After I lost my view of the church I tried to see spirituality a different way and I'm at a point where I don't believe in a human like God and I can't really see reasons for being a live other than just procreating and continuing the species. I especially can't find reasons for being "good" or living any certain way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 05:36PM

Welcome to RfM!

I'm of the "there are no answers, just a lot of questions' persuasion.

I reverted back to thinking of myself as just another herd animal, a member of a tribe, which is what a herd animal that can talk is called. (or so I now declare!)

I think it's possible to erect a vision of life based on anything! Mankind's history is replete with weird examples of this phenomena. But I like to keep it simple.

Yeah, I haven't fallen for Life has Meaning thing. I don't believe in a purpose to life, unless it's to very busily find no purpose to life. In other words, if you think about it too much, you'll come upon your own footprints.

As a herd animal, with no purpose to life, I spend each day hunting, gathering and eating, and each night playing gin rummy. So far it's working for me.

Oh, yeah, and there's this: "Primum non nocere." First, do no harm. When I find a spider in the bathroom, I'll catch it and put it outside. But I eat a lot of animal flesh, so obviously I'm conflicted.

I hope you have fun here and find somethings to append to your 'how I live my life' anthem.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 05:44PM

What has helped me is to see this "meaning of life" thing really gets in the way of actually diving right in and enjoying it, making the most of it.

I don't need a reason to live. I am alive whether I like it or not, so might as well look around and see what fun can be had.

Somebody writes a novel that millions or even a few love. The words make the readers feel something and increases their understanding. So the author's life means something. Not because there's a God, but because of who the author is and what he shared.

There is no meaning to living your life through someone else, not even if that someone else is your God. Being the recipient of blessings is meaningless because it's basically a hand out. I love my own accomplishments. Work hard. Play hard. Love hard. They give my life meaning. And a smile from anyone I may help? That is gold.

Religion wants you to think that only God can give your life meaning. They don't want you to know the truth, that only you can give your life meaning.

I know my words are probably all wrong here, but I hope you find the beauty in life soon, Paladin. You deserve it and I swear it's there--well except for the days when it's not, but you gotta have a few of those. Right?

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 06:58PM

Hi, I can state my reasons.

They may help you, but you will have to find your own.

I find joy in nature, an evening breeze, my wife, a good beer, my dogs, work. Beauty and joy abound, just look.

The reasons for "being good" are I believe we should treat others as we would want to be treated. My father taught me this.

If you need fear to keep you in line, like religion, you will be incarcerated.

I feel I am more caring, kinder, and jus treat ohers better since leaving religion

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 07:03PM

The only meaning in my life is the meaning I put into it. I had a traumatic childhood and struggled to make a living all my life. Now I find that if I write every day, I feel a sense of accomplishment. I want to feel that daily, so I write daily.

Can you think of something you are passionate about? Try spending some time with it, and see how you feel. You might be surprised, Paladin.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 07:37PM

Sounds like the nihilism I struggle with. I read some world news and shudder. I think about the economy and the environment and become despondent. I think of our social progress not just stalled, but taking giant leaps backward. Another medication fails. I fail colossally. No advice. I'm just right there with you. Reading along.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 08:12PM

I am sort of 'relieved' that God is not 'human like' and so neither are we in our 'eternal state'.

As far as reasons for being alive --- to enjoy life to the fullest, whatever that means to you!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 08:14PM

Life doesn't care what you believe, so go with beliefs that serve you. Try radical self acceptance. Wrap your arms around yourself and give yourself a big long hug. Say all the nice things. Thanks for hanging in there. I love you so much.

Trust that life knows what it's doing. There's a reason self preservation is so primal, why life does whatever it takes. Whatever happens happens whether you like it or not. It's your experience. It belongs to you. So, why not like it?

Posted by: Be Seeing You ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 09:53AM

Paladin, this was a phase I went through, and came out of. I'm not sure, but I think it's part of grief and loss. We grow up being told there are angels and miracles and wonderful things waiting for us, as well as a measure of justice and reward, snd boom. Nada.

Please hang in there, let the pain and emptiness pass, because there is freedom and beauty on the other side of it, things you may think you know, but may have never really experienced.

Life is for life, and it's very different without rose-colored glasses. Your eyes are still adjusting to the real light.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 10:28AM

I went throught exactly that when I first figured out the church was bogus.

I thought: So I'm NOT a special daugher of god? So he does NOT have a plan for me? If my life is just a coincidence, then what is the point???

I struggled with that quite a while and I'm telling because I want you to realise that you are not alone. This is quite a normal feeling to be having. It's like a "now what?" question when your sense of purpose is suddenly taken away.

As I see it now?
Life just IS.

I AM.

I like being happy. 'being good' makes me feel quite happy, so I do more of it.
But some days, being bitchy makes me feel good.. when it comes to protecting my boundaries and looking after myself.. Then I feel good when I'm a bitch.

I AM.

My life is my own.
it is MY life.
to do with as I please.

Just BE.
Explore stuff. Have experiences. See what you like and what you don't like.

There doesn't have to be a reason behind it all for me anymore.
I just am.

I'm alive, I'm here, and I'm just trying to have a good time.

You're not alone.
Welcome :-)

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:16AM

Well life is not about secret handshakes or chanting so you can start there as i have. And if you think god is the meaning you are going to get nowhere trust me. A god figure doesnt give two sh#ts and neither does society so tread your own path. I am trying to get out of pain because i know through many years of experience god can not do it for me.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:32AM

This is the sign of living an authentic life instead of a McLife of Religion or predefined by culture. It is one of the most rewarding and challenging things to look within and define your own purpose and bliss.

I have lowered my expectations for humanity. I recognize the role of biology, geology, etc. on us as lifeforms on Earth. But, to think that we are here at all is truly awe-inspiring. For me, the night sky of vast star stuff and learning has provided spirituality.

My purpose that I have identified for myself is personal and rewarding. You must find what makes you feel the rewards of this amazing fluke of life. It is fleeting and precious. I understand people sitting in a tree to prevent it from being cut down. I understand people who want to be astronauts. I understand a nerd in a library.

You are not alone in what you are feeling. It is part of waking up and understanding that we have no answers.

I think Pale Blue Dot by Sagan helped me along through my "existential angst" years. Enjoy your personal quest. PS: Sometimes you don't a reason at all. Just live.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.