Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:43AM

DH and I went on a vacation to the North rim on the Grand Canyon which took us through Hildale and Colorado City.

In a gas station rest room I met a woman and little girl dressed in dark navy. It covered the ankles and wrists and ran high up the neck. When I walked in, the woman shrank and cast her eyes to the side and down.

"Hurry, hurry," she said to the little girl. "We need to get back to the car."

The car was a small dark sedan transporting the woman I saw, another wife in a similar but darker navy dress, two young teen boys, two little boys, and two girls. That's eight passengers in car that could barely hold six.

The little boys were outfitted with toy holsters and cap guns and they were walking in a shy sidestep only glancing up enough to avoid tripping.

The whole group was well dressed and the sets of individuals were dressed indentically. DH asked if the boys were twins and one of the wives said they were two years apart.

The women's hairdos were dated but not outlandish like some plyg women.

Their shoes were comfortable new flats and they wore no jewelry or makeup.

I wish I could have talked to them a bit, but they were clearly unnerved being around an outsider. I'm sure they'd be surprised if they knew I grew up on a different plyg compound and had know many plyg wives as a kid. Whew, I'm so glad I didn't stay in that situation for a lifetime!

After we passed through the Colorado City area and entered Hildale, I saw another plyg lady, much more buxom and with the sweeping hairdo so many polygamists wear. She had on a long burgandy dress and wore tennis shoes. I like wearing my mainstream outfits and normal underclothes. Those poor women are stuck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2017 03:02PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 01:09PM

That would freak me out. We did drive down the highway by them years ago, my sister and I, and we thought it was creepy.

Do you watch "Escaping Polygamy" or is it "Escape from Polygamy?" Someone on this board got me hooked on watching it.

Date: September 22, 2017 03:03PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:04PM

where they show what the escapees are doing. There was only one who wasn't doing very well, but then we are only getting a very small glimpse.

It has also been interesting to find out things I've never heard before. I can't believe people believe these things, but then I believed in mormonism.

One of the girls, who is doing really well, is in a relationship with a guy who left, but when they talked to her, she said she was sure Warren Jeffs was going to get out of prison. They pressed her on the issue and she said that IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. This girl is the one I was really interested in what had happened to her.

It is VERY SAD.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 01:28PM

I am surprised your husband was able to get them to even speak to him. I don't think they would willingly speak to you either.

I see them all the time at Hurricane Walmart and La Verkin grocery store. Mostly in groups of five to nine or more stuffed into vehicles with heavily tinted windows. The cars/vehicles are new and usually SUV's.

Two or three women dressed in the olive green, dark blue or maroon dresses and the girl children exactly the same. Women's hair is always done up in plyg fashion and boys hair is short, missionary style cuts. The boys general in denim pants and cowboy type shirts button all the the way up to the neck and the long sleeves buttoned around their wrists.

They seem to have a look of fear and arrogance at the same time as they scurry around and pretend they do not see anyone.

I am glad to see that there are some of the 'apostates' out in Colorado City/Hildale area who are dressing normally and are slowly changing the customs and are more friendly and inviting. Change is happening but it will take time.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 01:39PM

Do the FLDS plygs wear the same holy undergarments as the mainstream or are theirs somewhat different? They obviously cannot shop at D.I. for their things.

Date: September 22, 2017 02:57PM

They reach the wrists and ankles with ties down the front and a slit around to the back.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 01:56PM

I saw a couple of ladies dressed exactly as you describe going into Sam's Club on Third West and about 1900 South. Kind of surprised me to see them in Salt Lake City. They both looked attractive.

Posted by: Omergod ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 01:57PM

I was absolutely broken hearted when I saw it similar. I wanted to call 911 or do something. The world. What exactly should you do in this situation?

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 02:36PM

The best thing you can do is be friendly and show them that the outside world is not a dreadful place and that there are good people outside her community.

I once read a memoir (The Sixth of Seven Wives) and the author emphasized how it was drilled into her that the gentile world was badbadbad, full of wicked evil people, and how surprised she was when people not belonging to her cult showed her such kindness.

Carolyn Jessop made the same comment in her book, when her little boy was hospitalized, and hospital volunteers went out of their way to do her so many little favors that made all the difference.

Don't go overboard, but give them a glimpse of goodness and kindess. Comment on the weather. Tell them their little girl is adorable. Tell them that is a pretty color they are wearing.

Be prepared for many different reactions. They probably aren't used to kindness.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 02:45PM

I saw a sprinkling each visit I made to St George. Always in a grocery store, or Walmart.

They seem pleasant enough as they keep to themselves. The last woman I saw was speaking to one of the customer service people at the Smith's Food King in January.

She was the most sophisticated out of the ones I spotted. She had the upsweep hairdo, but was slim and looked attractive.

The ones I spotted at the Walmart seemed a bit more backwards. One good thing I guess is they are a regular fixture in the southern Utah landscape, and fit right in. It is very much their home and heritage to be right where they're at.

The ones who are leaving are experiencing culture shock, but the people in the area have been welcoming to them and to their children in the public schools.

The community has taken up collections for the kids whose families had been banished from Hildale, so they could attend school with needed supplies.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 03:00PM

are there an FLDS nudists?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 09:58PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> are there an FLDS nudists?

A homeless guy told me there were here in idaho. The women have to be nude all the time but the man doesnt it is pretty nuts.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 04:30PM

All this because of a nutcase in the 19th Century.

We flew in to the Bozeman airport and I saw what must have been a polyg wife waiting with a little boy; she looked haggard for her age and like she'd rather be somewhere else and the boy didn't look much better. I was unaware of any fundie activity up there.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 05:52PM

The navy of the dresses must be a family affiliation. I wonder which one?

Date: September 22, 2017 09:46PM

I think the group I saw were in a higher and more significant part of the polygamous community. I wish I could have talked in detail to them but they were very uncomfortable around anyone who wasn't part of their cult.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 06:57PM

My father bought a house from the Jessop family. The house was in Hurricane and had been outfitted with several extra bedrooms in the basement. He let my youngest brother and girlfriend rent it till the value went up. Then he kicked them out and sold it. They thought they were going to get to keep the house, but it doesn't work that way. My father uses people, even family. To gain his favor you must have a testimony, which means he can rule over you with priesthood seniority.

Date: September 22, 2017 10:03PM

My father managed to take my grandma's house for himself after she died. He was just biding his time didnt even think that i could use the place at all to save money. Very greedy, my grandma was my only ally in the family so it really sucks now but i have to keep getting stronger regardless.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 01:04AM

My father cheated all his sons and daughters out of Grandma's will by poisoning her relationship with her children. The last thing that my Grandmother ever said to me is that my siblings and I were all bums. I wonder who told her that and got all the money when she died?

Date: September 23, 2017 09:01PM

Yep my grandma listened to everybody else when it came to me, she thought i was nuts but i wasnt i was just a product of a horrible life on earth abused by her loving son. My entire family is twisted but i have never told them but i think it was the cult that twisted them when i finally saw the temple and death oaths it all made sense.

Date: September 22, 2017 09:56PM

Holy cow a part of me just wants to be naive and pretend this polygamy doesnt exist in the year 2017 but it definitely does. Its so nuts.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:26PM

How do you know if they're not of another religion ? Obviously, they're not Amish, but one of the fundamental Christian groups, where the women wear their long hair up, long dresses, long sleeves, no jewelry or makeup? Some of them also have lots of kids. The husband part would give them away though.i always thought that the plygs had to be with a man when out in public

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 01:22AM

Date: September 23, 2017 07:03AM

Plygs wearing Amish hats, aprons and saying thee and thou, but making a brain leap and calling them Mormon polygamists "just because."

Posted by: Happyandfree ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 01:18PM

I shopped along side a group of sister wives in the SLC Costco yesterday. (You know how you often find yourself moving along the same route through Costco as another person?) All the women were wearing the trademark compound bouffant/braid hairdo and those fugly dresses; same unflattering pattern, just made in different solid colors. I tried repeatedly to smile and make eye contact as we passed each other. They all looked away grimly as soon as they realized I was smiling at them. Each sister wife had a long shopping list and a big, flat cart.

I feel for them. I can't image that their lives hold much fun.

Date: September 24, 2017 04:22AM

Plyg husbands sometimes abandon wives for months at a time, seeing only their favorite women and leaving others to fend for themsleves.

Muslim women are required to have a male with them whenever they are out in public.

This has nothing to do with mormon polygamous wives who live by different rules depending on their "prophet" and/or their priesthood leader.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.