Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 11:51AM

That's $7 per active member. Good thinking to sell it before the bottom drops out of the market.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:04PM

Sure it wasn't something Mark Hofmann sold to the Community of Christ?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:09PM

Done while he was in prison, No Doubt...

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:12PM

Quite a return on investment turning $2500 into $35 million.

It sounds like a nice church...."we chose the well-being of people and preserving the current and future mission of the church over owning this document."

Hmm...what a good example for a church to make....

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:20PM

Works out to be about a 8.675% investment

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 06:56PM

Martin Harris is spinning in his shallow grave. His wife was right. The whole thing would do them no good.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:24PM

Lots of cash for the relief work that LD$, Inc. doesn't do.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 10:51AM

Yep

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:31PM

Will the C of C declare a dividend, kinda like Alaskans get once a year?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:39PM

There *is* a hi-rez copy of this out there, right?

So we can all see how the Most Perfect Book In The World was such a mess that even typesetter John Gilbert said: "This thing isn't ready for printing--I have to add punctuation."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:43PM

Am I recalling incorrectly? I am thinking that Gilbert did the chapter divisions and numbered the verses...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 06:50PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There *is* a hi-rez copy of this out there,
> right?

Yep.

http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/printers-manuscript-of-the-book-of-mormon-1923-photostatic-copies/1

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:46PM

I suppose the poobahs find $35M acceptable to make it disappear. If they were smart they'd render it into a cloud of plasma, forever gone. They will instead send it into the mountain with the rest of their embarrassments. That way they get to continue worrying that it may get seen by non-spiritual eyes. None too smart at times.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 02:31PM

So it sits in a museum and they charge $35.00 a pop to see it.

Date: September 21, 2017 06:58PM

Old Lucy Smith charged folks two bits to see the mummy purchased with their money. It's always been a racket.

Posted by: Texmo ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 02:38PM

I've seen FB posts defending the hefty 35M price tag because donors paid for it. Really? Aren't tithing payers considered donors? Tithing is sent to LDS, Inc. and then invested. The interest earned goes into a separate pot and is no longer considered tithing. It's used to build shopping malls etc. Technically that money can be considered money from donors.

Also, why didn't the angels protect the only surviving manuscript like they protected the golden plates? Why did God allow the manuscript to fall into the hands of the Reorganized Church? Couldn't he see that it would be purchased at a time when so many people were suffering from the effects of hurricanes? Wouldn't it have been better to inspire the donors to contribute the 35M to those in need instead of purchasing a manuscript?

How can any thinking person remain in such a fraudulent church?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 02:44PM

God speaking now.

I let it fall into the hands of the reorganized church because they would do a better job of protecting the lousy book.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 03:47PM

So is this FINALLY the OFFICIAL STANCE by LDS-Inc that the BOM was "dictated" and NOT "translated" by Joseph Smith???

3rd paragraph down in the story...CAPS added by me...

"The two churches jointly announced the sale Wednesday night. Both faiths treasure the document, which is the most complete copy of the original manuscript of the Book of Mormon DICTATED by Joseph Smith to several scribes."

And I spent 2 whole years of my one-&-only LIFE telling gullible fools that it was "translated" by JS from the "golden plates".

Shame on me!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Date: September 21, 2017 03:56PM

JS read out loud as he was translating so the scribes could write it down. That's what dictation is: "say or read words to be typed, written down, etc..."

Of course he didn't translate anything - just made it up. He couldn't let the scribes see the nonexistent gold plates which is why he had to dictate.

Date: September 21, 2017 04:09PM

oops, dictation = to say or read ALOUD words to be typed, written down, etc...

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 04:18PM

I beg to differ. He did not "really" make it up. It is a tossed salad of various book parts. He read from 5 other books and almost verbatim plagarized the BoM. It is fiction. It is the biggest hoax in history. I wanna puke for telling people it is inspired from gawd.

Look where the church is today because of this book?

Look where we all are today because of this book?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 04:23PM by cutekitty.

Date: September 21, 2017 04:26PM

My point was that he dictated to the scribes. Yes, he probably plagiarized from many sources, including the bible, but he read aloud while scribes wrote down what he was saying. They couldn't very well see the nonexistent gold book with the made-up language so it had to be dictated to them.

Date: September 23, 2017 10:58AM

I really want to see the other books plagiarized, i know the obvious one the bible but what are the names of the other ones. I think it would blow my mind if i saw the names of nephites, lamanites, in another book previous.

Date: September 23, 2017 11:00AM

Everytime they do something like this they are spitting in the face of the poor and needy yet again.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 03:48PM

Who gives a DAMN ???

Date: September 21, 2017 04:04PM

Obviously you do or you wouldn't take the time to read and respond.

There are many posts I think are silly. I just ignore them. If others find them worth discussing, good for them. Id you don't give a damn, just keep it to yourself.

Date: September 21, 2017 04:47PM

It seems likely that the Community of Christ will do better things with the money than the LDS seers and revelators did.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 06:32PM

How much is the Cardiff Giant worth today?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 12:41PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 12:57PM

One thing the printer's manuscript -- chock full of errors -- does is put the lie to the description of the "translation" process:

“By aid of the Seer Stone, sentences would appear and were read by the Prophet and written by Martin, and when finished he would say ‘written;’ and if correctly written, the sentence would disappear and another appear in its place; but if not written correctly it remained until corrected, so that the translation was just as it was engraven on the plates, precisely in the language then used” (Comprehensive History of the Church 1:29).

The printer's manuscript proves that account is pure BS.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 01:05PM

The book should have been donated to the Smithsonian where it could have been displayed next to the Nauvoo Temple Sunstone. Millions would see it annually.

But, the C of C obviously needs money. The Brighamites have more money than they know what to do with. So, filthy lucre wins again!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 10:43AM

I HOPE that by "donors", they meant people who voluntarily chose SPECIFICALLY to purchase the manuscript to give the LDS church. If it included tithing money, then shame on them!

Well, shame on them all anyway for spending millions on a museum piece when there are so many desperate people in dire need right now!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:18AM

I suspect CoC is in the process of distancing themselves from that part of their history.

"Oh, Joseph Smith? That was just a little fleck of history of insignificance. We're Christian!"

Meanwhile Mormons are still in the business of gathering documents for their very own Mormo-Vatican library (the rooms no one gets to visit). Everyone knows that using money to control the history and traditions are far more important than helping the poor.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 01:54PM

MORmON Jesus got it completely backwards!!!

IF MJ really wanted to bolster the plausibility claims of the Book of MORmON story, then MJ should have left the Golden Tablets of MORONi on earth for open public inspection instead of having them taken to heaven for storage which rendered them inaccessible for inspection, while also taking the Joseph Smith translated text content of the gold tablets away from mankind so it could not be publicly distributed and read which so adamantly asserts that the BOM is a shoddy piece of trash.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.