Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 07:05PM

Fuck. Without even mentioning religion they said the mormons would probably have a better chance at helping you. Hoooly shit what did i say would happen. Even the government is helping me over religions without strings attached except the social security i payed in already. They said on the phone my chances would be better if i was a catholic this is no joke to get the help i needed from the catholics.. They said i first had to be homeless before they
could help, jesus christ on the cross on their church. I've been learning a lot this week crash course stuff, all the help programs are broke and cant help you past one month. I think i only need like 300 dollars per month. So if you need 300 dollars dont ask any church for help got to be homeless sleeping outside first. Its a good thing i am doing better than a year ago and already assumed no one could help me when it came down to it. Fuck it i will go to where the bishop works see what he has to say even if it is all programmed talk. One last hurrah to get some money back just to pay bills good lord how did i get so sad to this point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 07:11PM

That surprises me. I know it seems futile at this point, and expecting too much from your energy supply, but could you try a different Catholic place? I've read on this very board that they help people out without waiting until they are homeless.

I'm not sure if it's the best thing to ask first for cash. Maybe go talk to them in person and see what suggestions they have. Or if you want to ask, at least do it in person.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding and this was already a personal contact.

Try and take a few deep breaths and then focus on the most straightforward and logical approach to problem-solving you can come up with. One step at a time usually works best for me. Good luck. And credit for keeping on trying.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 07:19PM

I'm surprised by that. It goes against everything I've heard about CC, including the experience of a close friend. If all you need is $300 worth of help, I would go to a community food bank for your food supply (NOT a Mormon storehouse.)

Date: September 20, 2017 08:12PM

Food is pretty much covered with a food stamp card. Food is not the problem.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 07:34PM

Wow, when I was struggling, CC helped immensely with food and money. I told them the Mormon church was refusing to help. Another option is the Salvation Army. They paid all my bills. Now that I am good financially, they get my donations.
Call the United Way. They have access to many organizations that may be able to help you.

Date: September 20, 2017 08:18PM

Salvation army cant help me till next month. Catholic church wont help anybody they dont think can pay them back. I asked if we could just go month to month and see how it goes and they said no. My chances really are better with the mormons which is no chance. I am about to make a sign and hold it on a street corner i cant work yet but i think i can hold a sign for a while maybe. I am also about to ask relatives or friends that i havent talked to in years for help.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:22PM

If they aren't able to give financial aid it isn't from a lack of caring though or your not being a Catholic.

It's because they lack the resources to do so. They can't give what they don't have.

Catholic churches have been strapped especially during economic downturns. The priests and nuns literally live off the monies the parishioners donate, and most of them live meager existences.

They still have counseling services to my knowledge that are nationwide. If you are broke they'd provide a counselor at no cost or on a sliding fee scale.

They have homeless shelters in some locales.

I imagine the Catholic church in Idaho is not that strong because there it is a minority religion. Where I live it is the predominant one. It's just the reverse of where you are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 08:23PM by Amyjo.

Date: September 20, 2017 08:34PM

They are a disappointment i have more resources then the catholics and the salvation army and i will be broke in a month most likely. I wont live in this shelter i will die first literally i dont fear death at all if there is a jesus standing by he definitely knows this but i do think i can get healthy again if given more time. I already get counseling dont need religious counseling to confuse things further. So disappointed but expected, wish there was an athiest charity or something to try.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:53PM

It was announced in the news today that the VA is cutting $500k from one homeless shelter for 400 homeless vets in NJ. It sounds like you keep hitting a dead end so that may mean it is time to move to a different state. Do you have family that can help? Can you go to Social Security Administration and apply for disability assistance since you can't work yet? It's worth a try.

Date: September 20, 2017 09:41PM

I did get on disability and it will cover half of my bills. Which state isnt stingy about helping somebody i am not making a blind move when i am literally disabled. I will just use the last of my money to make my final jump we all make it eventually no point in crying about it and delaying it and risk suffering on the streets. Suffering and having a home is one thing but suffering without a home is a whole nother ball game.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 10:37PM

You should honestly consider living with your mom or your dad. You've mentioned they would welcome you, but you would feel suffocated if you had to move back home.

This may be one time to swallow your pride. Your mom loves you and doesn't want you to hurt yourself over your dire circumstances. You've said she is helping you financially.

Give her a chance to give you the support you need while you regain your footing.

She would want you to be yourself, and you could find a modicum of independence while you are on disability. Lots of young people your age live at home because they cannot afford to live elsewhere. It is not a stigma in this day and age to have that living arrangement. It's actually an advantage to those who are able to.

If not your mom, consider your dad or other relative who would have room for you to live in their home.

Subsidized housing is another option. That would save you money on your rent and make living on SSDI more sustainable.

Here's some affordable housing in Pocatello you would be eligible for if you were signed up

https://www.publichousing.com/city/id-pocatello

Date: September 21, 2017 10:27AM

I dont think you understand why i get counseling and why i am still alive.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 10:40PM

Check out auntbertha.com. I will bet my last dime they can help you!!!

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 11:10PM

Catholic Charities is not going to give out cash. Food assistance or other things yes, but not cash.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 11:15PM

Poop on them!

:-(

Date: September 20, 2017 11:17PM

...for my deposit.

Date: September 20, 2017 11:20PM

Date: September 21, 2017 10:29AM

But you were completely homeless first right?

Date: September 21, 2017 10:40AM

...online at the public library). I did a phone interview. Was hired and given one week to move.

A social worker at the shelter put me in touch with The Hunthausen Fund (someone from CC came to me). I was freaking out, but the social worker was there. I also went to King County Vets (local gov't veteran thing), and they gave me towels, a $50 voucher for Goodwill, stuff like that.

The social worker and I found a place that was inexpensive and would let me move in while waiting for the deposit from CC. It took 2-3 business days.

I am so sorry I pressured the hell out of you to such a shit result. My heart aches, and I am afraid to try to give any other advice, because clearly I suck.

Is there a silver lining? I don't know. Maybe that you met them despite things not working out AT. ALL.

:-(

I think of you often, and hope that you are well, and I am very, very sorry for contributing to your pain. So sorry.

I'm sorry that you went through that. I'm so sorry.

Beth

Date: September 21, 2017 11:31AM

I dont think i care anymore. I am ready to just quit i am not even healed enough to survive in a shelter or on the streets and i have been locked up twice against my will in the past and i aint doing that again.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:28AM

If you have parents who will help,whether you want them too or not, could be a factor.If they have limited funds ,people with no other options will get priority.

Date: September 21, 2017 10:33AM

My mom is going to help me some. I am thinking about asking my grandma but she is in very poor health.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.