Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 05:35PM

In Australia, the anti-gay marriage ads and fear mongering are right out of the Prop 8 playbook. It just reeks of Monson and his sheep's involvement. Anyone know anything? I suspect after the backlash of Prop 8 they are being much more secretive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 21, 2017 05:54AM

Topping in case anyone knows anything. I don't want those assholes to go unchallenged.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 06:05AM

I have seen the anti gay marriage ads but so far they seem to be from some mob calling themselves the Coalition for Marriage. No Mormon connection as far as I can tell.

OH and I have already posted our "YES' votes.

I really don't understand why the No crowd think equality somehow makes their marriages less secure. They must have pretty shaky unions to think that.

Date: September 21, 2017 07:16AM

That is good to know. Thanks for the insight and the support.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 07:16PM

Who constitutes the Coalition for Marriage? LD$, Inc.could well be part of it, or at least providing financial support. In the US, they hid part of their opposition to SSM through the NOM (National Organization for Marriage). Does Australia require groups such as the Coalition for Marriage to disclose their contributors? You would need to know that info before you could know if TSCC were involved or not.

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 06:47AM

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 06:53AM

I haven't heard anything of lds involvement, but isn't the "NO" vote weak as water? It SOUNDS lds. It is kind of like "No because God said so!"or "No because the next thing you know my son will want to wear a dress to school"?????

Honestly WHAT ON EARTH????

My "Yes" vote is on its way in and I expect an overwhelming "Yes".

Lets just hope the government will then listen and push the plebescite results through to law. It is embarrassing that they have not already done it!! AFter all Aussies are about "a fair go for all", the way I see it that INCLUDES gay people.

Date: September 21, 2017 07:19AM

Thank you for the insight. The anti-gay marriage argument has always been weak. There is no rational basis to deny equal rights, just religious superstitious gibberish. I sure hope the insanity ends and it becomes legal soon.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 10:06AM

I wish I could be more specific for you but if you want to know about the Mormon vote you have to find out more about the Australian Area Seventy. The Mormons have learned how to go undetected with regard to their anti LGBT stance. They will go so far as to give a gift to a Gay organization while they plan to cut their rights in their secret meetings.

A few years ago I read in a paper about the Aussie Area Seventy speaking before congress on the issue and encouraging a letter writing campaign to the Mormons. I don't remember the name and did not save the article. It made me angry because I then realized that the church uses the Area Seventies to do their dirty work because they fly under the radar quite easily. They were the "mules" to get the money to California for Prop 8 I would guess. No one pays attention to them much, just like here on RFM how often does that come up?

This realization caused me to write a pretty blunt letter to my own brother who is an Area Seventy in the U.S. I even addressed the Australian situation in it and voiced my disrespect for what the Area Seventies did. I was rather forceful, and straightforward. I got no reply which of course I did not expect. Writing the letter made me feel much better however. My brother is extremely arrogant and I avoid him anyway so no loss.

If you have a way to follow the activities of the Seventy that is your key.

Date: September 21, 2017 03:04PM

I have absolutely no doubt they are heavily involved. I just need to find some proof. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry about your brother. Are there any church leaders that are not arrogant? It seems to come with the job. I remember trying to strike up a conversation with Elder Oaks at an informal dinner. Even though I was a true believer at the time, I remember thinking he was a dick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 03:05PM by Atari.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 10:37PM

I think "being a dick" is about five rungs higher on the ladder than where Oaks is. He was President of BYU when I was there and the gay kids were being coerced into electroshock therapy. Shame there isn't really a hell for him to go to.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 03:58PM

(I follow the campaign on news websites, but have no info to give. Hadn't even considered the mormon perspective yet.)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 04:05PM

I don't have any particular information, either.

I did see a number of flyers being sent around in Australia (printed in both English and Chinese), where the main argument was, "You won't have any offspring! Don't let your family bloodline end!"

I immediately though, "If gay people *can't* get married, how does that change?" It's not like gay couples are going to have children if they're not married, but won't if they are...

So stupid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.