Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 05:38PM

I don't get on this site much but my two adopted Central American daughters got their DNA results from 23andMe recently. There is nothing to tie them to Hebrews arriving in America 2600 years ago as claimed by the BoM. No big surprise there. But I'm wondering if any Native American DNA has shown Hebrew ancestry. My TBM wife seems to be at a loss to explain why our daughters have none. One of them has ancestry from just about all over the world except Jerusalem. I'd like to be prepared in case she gets a BS answer from a "knowledgeable" TBM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 05:46PM

Did they have any sub-Saharan African DNA?

My half-lamanite son got his DNA done and while my native American/Iberian penninsula heritage is well represented, as is his mother's Scottish/British heritage, he is 3% sub-Saharan African (meaning Black African).

I'd have to be tested to see if the Black comes through me or his mom. Or it could be both!

One of us (or both) shouldn't have gone through the temple, since all that was pre-ghawd's emancipation proclamation and tax savings initiative.

Date: September 19, 2017 06:41PM

Both had about 7% sub-saharan. No surprise.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 05:47PM

Ugo Perego is the world leader in TSCC DNA spin--he would throw out terms like "genetic bottleneck" to explain how the Lehite ancestry is mysteriously absent, because he can't admit the embarrassing truth that Lehi never existed.

Slightly OT, but I just did a short film with 80% Chinese crew; of those, I would say 90% could be costumed in traditional North or South American garb and you'd swear they were American Indians. You would never confuse them with Mel Brooks in 'Blazing Saddles'....

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 06:08PM

I work with a large number of latinos and two in particular could be outfitted and dropped into any kung fu movie out there and no one would notice a thing. One looks so much like the handsome lead in House of Flying Daggers that he could be his double. Interestingly, none of them look like Adam Sandler, John Stewart, or Zero Mostel.

Date: September 19, 2017 06:13PM

Just like "Red" is a useful nickname in English, so is "Chino" (CHEE noh) a useful nickname in Spanish. "Red" has red hair and "Chino" looks completely Asian.

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 06:57PM

I always thought it had more to with my curly hair. I don't look Asian other than having relatively dark hair.

Date: September 19, 2017 07:16PM

No, Elder, you probably thought they were saying "Chino" when in fact you missed the 'co' in front of it.... (hee hee!!)

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 08:26PM

But I had been referred to in porcine terms enough to discern an absent antepenultimate syllable.

Date: September 19, 2017 11:26PM

Well, you win! All I can come up with is chiquito...

Where did I go wrong?

Date: September 19, 2017 06:43PM

We have a son who is also from Central America. He was identified as Asian by a police officer when he was in an auto accident.

Date: September 19, 2017 05:50PM

I read Simon Sutherland's Losing a Lost Tribe, DNA and Mormon Church. Excellent book on so many levels. I had to read the technical parts that explained all the DNA several times in order to "get it" but in the end even I understood how it all works and why there is just no Jewish DNA period in the Native American population. They really can be that accurate. So fascinating really and Simon's own story is important.

I would say that scholarly book is your best bet. However, I do know one TBM who swears God changed the DNA of the Lamanites/Native Americans just to test our faith. Good luck finding a reply to that if your wife happens to hear it, though. But Mormons do grasp at straws like that. My mother is desperate for any glimmer of an explanation as to why there is no Jewish DNA and will believe almost anything at this point.

Date: September 19, 2017 06:44PM

I read that book and also heard his interview with John Dehlin on Mormon Stories. Both were excellent.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:58AM

Just for the record, it's Simon Southerton:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Southerton

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 12:34PM

Keifer's last name is Southerton?

Date: September 19, 2017 05:59PM

I understand another popular excuse is that the Americas are now acknowledged by the church as being very populated by Native Americans upon the arrival of Lehi and the gang. The BofM doesn't mention this because of various specious reasons, but then after the last war, in which the Nephites were totally wiped out, the Lamanites came close to near extinction and the survivors squirreled themselves away, isolated from all the other inhabitants and they've since kept themselves to themselves and haven't been found or tested.

But they're there! The BofM says so! It just didn't mention all those other Native Americans, who came over via the Bering land bridge! The right people remain to be tested, but in the meantime, have faith!

Date: September 19, 2017 06:47PM

It says right in the BoM that there were no people in the land of promise. Now the story changes. The members are being fed 100% bullshit and most of the are eating it up.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 06:24PM

Aren't submarine sandwiches proof that the Jaredites existed?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 06:30PM

Absolutely! And the elephants that dwell in the corner of most mormon homes, but are never talked about, is proof they existed in pre-columbian america!

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 06:33PM

Subs and Jared: proof that the Book of Mormon is true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle

Date: September 19, 2017 07:14PM

I think covered dishes are proof as well. Especially Tupperware.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 06:25PM

Rod Meldrum, a non-scientist, claims that he has found Hebrew DNA in the Heartland natives. But he has a reputation for being slick and knows how to twist information for the less educated (at least scientifically).

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:07AM

Lamanite sounds like a building material.

"Sorry honey, we can't afford the granite countertops. How about Lamanite?"

"No dear, it smells funny."

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:34AM

Just to be clear Lamanites were a figment of an imagination placed into a book that was highly plagiarized and used to start a religious following back when shoving your head in a hat while staring at a rock was the way to communicate with an unseen entity.

In other words, Lamanites were never real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 08:34AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.