Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 07:57AM

The correct answer should be zero. Twenty-two percent is far too high...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muslims-atheists-first-amendment-rights-study_us_59c00848e4b0c4c31f81c10a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 08:00AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 10:00AM

I would comment but I would get smited for political content.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 10:36AM

I'm pretty sure that every liberty enumerated in the First Amendment has been acknowledged by our judiciary to have limitations.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 10:38AM

I have actually learned my rights more as an athiest. Being in the cult i really felt i had no rights as a human being.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 11:25AM

Take that and throw in a few swing votes and you have enough of a base to get just about anyone elected to the highest office in the land...........

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 11:32AM

A higher percentage don't even know what the first amendment is. They just know they don't like Atheists.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:18PM

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 05:33PM

I am not sure if this is what you mean, but as a Brit, I did have to look it up.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 07:13PM

Funny, a lot of we Canucks know all or most of the Amendments. More even than we may know our own Charter! It's like a giant takeover or something... :)

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 11:41AM

That's why rights should never be something that comes up for popular vote.

Posted by: USN77 ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:44PM

Excellent comment. I wholeheartedly agree.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 06:38PM

Of course, every right enumerated in the Constitution in fact was put up to a popular vote. That’s how Amendments get ratified.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:00PM

When I heard George H.W. Bush declare that atheists were not considered to be citizens by him and he thought they were not patriotic it gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 02:16PM

Conservative atheists have similarly bristled at Bush's comment. The following article is an atheist's response to a religious conservative who made a similar comment as Bush's.

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/372060/print

"None of this, however, excuses the manner in which conservatives often treat atheists such as myself. George H. W. Bush, who was more usually reticent on such topics, is reported to have said that he didn’t “know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic.” “This,” Bush allegedly told Robert I. Sherman, “is one nation under God.” Whether Bush ever uttered these words or not, this sentiment has been expressed by others elsewhere. It is a significant mistake. What “this nation” is, in fact, is one nation under the Constitution — a document that precedes the “under God” reference in the Gettysburg Address by more than seven decades and the inclusion of the phrase in the Pledge of Allegiance by 165 years. (“In God We Trust,” too, was a modern addition, replacing “E Pluribus Unum” as the national motto in 1956 after 174 years.)"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 09:30AM

"Whether Bush ever uttered these words or not" ... more republican bullshit propaganda designed to instill doubt. Shame on National review. I saw and heard Bush say these things on live television.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 10:10AM

The quote was from a print interview with Robert Sherman; it wasn't televised, nor was there any audio or video recording, per Sherman himself. So, I don't see how you could have seen it on television. And yes, among Republicans/Conservatives there is discussion about whether or what Bush actually said. That's not the point, though I have no problem believing that G. H. W. Bush would say it.

Give Charles Cooke at least some credit for acknowledging that, regardless of whether the Bush quote is accurate, there are other Republicans/Conservatives who have made similar comments. I, myself, have Republican/Conservative friends and relatives who have explicitly stated that atheists are un-American.

Cooke's article was specifically calling out Brent Bozell, an influential voice among the Christian Right, for stating that atheists cannot be conservative and have no home in the Republican party.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 10:11AM by GregS.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 01:46PM

As an semi-professional atheist, I feel inspired to thank ghawd for founding and supporting the United States of America!! Arrrgg!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 09:26AM

100% of atheists know that both atheists and muslims do, in fact, have the same first amendment rights as anyone else.

How about that :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.