Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 01:04AM

After watching a video on YouTube about the nurse in SLC who was arrested for refusing to draw blood on her unconscious patient, I commented that if the cop was LDS, he was likely using his Mormon priesthood to justify "Lording it over" a woman, expecting her to submit to him because he had the priesthood and she didn't.

Somebody was horrified that I would write such a thing, as if thunderbolts should hit me. She (I think it was a she) said that it was nothing but police abuse, that his power had gone to his head. God forbid that I should say such a negative thing about the Mormon priesthood!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 02:35AM

No, you weren't out of line. That sort of thinking is exactly what people need to understand about Mormons.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 05:48AM

I was thinking the exact same thing as you were.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 07:46AM

I recall the church discouraging lawsuits. Her first response was that she would not pursue the issue in court which made me think she was programmed by the church environment to not make waves and not sue. I have not followed the case to find out if she did sue.

I do believe that men in Utah are ~in general~ used to women being submissive to decisions made by males. So, no, you weren't unreasonable in your comment.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 10:01AM

The priesthood makes a mans authority complex a 100 times worse in my opinion.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 10:09AM

There are many factors at play when a policeman acts in such an appalling manner. Why couldn't the Mormon male entitlement be one of them? It certainly exists. Did you see the thread of no one standing before Bednar did? Sends a clear message to the followers.

The Mormon male deal may or may not be the case in this instance, but there is nothing wrong with considering that it could be part of the arrogance/ignorance factor that induced the policeman's actions. I hope he learned something. I hope he got it.

I have to say though, I know it is less common, but several years ago I witnessed a female police officer be brutal for no reason to a young guy. He was so bruised after the altercation that it was shocking. And he was completely innocent of any wrong doing and was being respectful. Some people just can't handle authority.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 10:33AM

I think that story had nothing to do with Mormonism, and I would probably save priesthood comments for evidence of actual abuse. Although you are correct in your priesthood abuse assessment in general, no one knows that this case was due to priesthood abuse.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 03:40PM

As I understand it he is not a Mormon but the nurse is.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 05:20PM

I am very supportive of the notion that mormon priesthood holders are just a little to caught up in themselves.

Imagine walking around, day after day, knowing you have the power to curse or cure, depending on the circumstances.

Remember the old timey stories about the first missionaries sent out by the church and how they cursed entire towns, as well as individual farms and homes? And from the stories told, all us 'modern day' missionaries were cautioned not to use this power, no matter how much the provocation.

Remember Parley P. Pratt? Take a look at how an 2007 article in the Ensign twists Parley's death:

"In 1856 Brigham Young called Parley on a mission to the eastern United States. Parley had “desired, after traveling for twenty-five or twenty-six years, mostly abroad, to stay at home and minister among the people of God, and take care of my family.” Nevertheless, he accepted his call, telling the Saints, “If it is the will of God that I should spend my days in proclaiming this Gospel and bearing testimony of these things, I shall think myself highly privileged and honoured.”

While on his mission, Parley sensed his approaching death. He wrote home, “I long to do my duty while here and then go to rest in the paradise of God.” Indeed, Parley stated, “I neither dread nor fear death, but I anticipate changing worlds with joy inexhaustible.” In May 1857, shortly after his 50th birthday, Parley was murdered outside the small town of Van Buren, Arkansas.

As he lay dying, Parley testified to those who had come to help: “I die a firm believer in the Gospel of Jesus Christ as revealed through the Prophet Joseph Smith. … I know that the Gospel is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of the living God, I am dying a martyr to the faith.”
- - https://www.lds.org/ensign/2007/04/the-extraordinary-life-of-parley-p-pratt?lang=eng

Not one mention of who killed him and that person's motivation;
he was dying a martyr to polygamy, a principle of his faith that was thrown out when the cost to practice it became too high! Which is a popular theme in mormonism, n'cest pa?

Posted by: ProvoX ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:05AM

He was practicing "Unrighteous Dominion"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.