Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 04:04PM

For many years? Thinking it was a sin or weakness to get actual help both for mind and body? I still battle if its actually ok if i get help and get truly healthy or i will get smote down by mormon god or my family for doing this. It is so crazy but it is real.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 05:27PM

I certainly have no proof, but I sure do think it's possible that some faithful members excuse poor eating and exercise habits because life is so short and what's really important is being 'worthy', meaning that they'll be resurrected as studs and studettes.

Date: September 18, 2017 05:29PM

Exactly my thoughts as well. Their minds are set on being a perfect robot after ressurection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 05:29PM by badassadam.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 05:33PM

I think you give them too much credit. I just see them as lazy, and looking for an excuse.

Date: September 18, 2017 05:50PM

I suppose you are right and i am trying to snap out of that lazy and complacent mentality still i think.

Posted by: got2Breal ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 06:25PM

My mother does, but I think the reason is primarily financial. The church has screwed her out of so much money she can't afford to go to the doctor. Rather dangerous behavior for someone in her 70s.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 07:41PM

Yes!!!
The wife of a friend of mine had a baby once a year until it killed her. At her funeral she was upheld as a valiant true believer. SHE WAS STILL DEAD!!

Date: September 18, 2017 07:58PM

This is what i am talking about, the indroctrination or brainwashing totally makes a lot of people in the church ignore common sense and totally neglect their health. Even i did it.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 08:58PM

Absolutely. All you have to do is go to a Mormon sacrament meeting, and see for yourself. Sickness is no reason to miss a meeting. Parents bring blankets, kleenex, cough medicine, barf bags for their sick kids. If I ever tried to get out of any of my callings, because of a sick child, I was met with hostility, from the other mothers. I was very ill, for several months, and required hospital out-patient treatments, that made me unable to work. I had to take a leave of absence from work, and they were very nice about it, keeping my job and office available for me, when I recovered. The cult would NOT let me go! They refused to acknowledge I was sick, because I could still walk, and I could drive myself to the hospital, most of the time. "If you can go to the hospital, you can go to sacrament meeting and play the organ and teach a Sunday school class."

The bishop and my home teacher and the Sunday school president threatened me (separately) that God would withdraw His blessings, and I would get SICKER, if I quit my callings!

Others said that God would give me the strength to fulfill my church callings--like God keeps the GA's motors running, even when they are in dear-death condition.

I found myself making excuses for myself, for an illness that I couldn't help, like I was bad, or something. I tried to explain that I needed all my strength to try to care for my children, as well as myself.

The bottom line is--nobody cared a rat's ass about me. No one brought me meals, when I couldn't get out of bed. I had brought them dinners, many times. No one called to see how I was. Someone did call me, to ask me to give more organ lessons, and I had to try to explain to them--a dozen more times--why I could not.

Missionaries--a good example of how Mormons ignore their health. My nephew had a bad tooth ache for 4 months. The mission pres didn't want to send him to the dentist, so soon to his release date. He was extremely thin and unhealthy, when he came home, after four months of being in too much pain to eat or sleep.

Illness, to Mormons, is like poverty. It means that you are being unworthy; therefore, the Morgod is not helping you.

Hateful cult. Where's the love?

Date: September 18, 2017 11:36PM

Yes exactly i couldnt have put it in better words. They show no reguard to one's health as if they are healthy all the time but not you. So they put you down even more while you are unhealthy. I reviewed my life and the best solution is just to stay away from the cult all together they are a health hazard in itself. Its the most unhealthy organization to be in i never got the medical care i needed when i was younger didnt have the self esteem to break off and defy the cult and get real help. I just thought god hated me and i was destined to just suffer because i didnt want to follow the mormon way so my life was cursed. My head got messed with so bad i still cant believe it.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 10:04PM

I had one sister that would cut herself, another sister that was bulimic, and I had suicidal thoughts on multiple occasions. My TBM parents never sought help for us, choosing LDS Family Services (asking a Magic 8-Ball would have been more effective than them) or berating us (Berating being more cost effective; more tithing!).
And physical illness was usually treated over the counter if at all (I'm 25 and still rarely see a doctor if I'm sick).
Mormonism- not good for your health.

Date: September 18, 2017 11:42PM

I second that and its nice to hear that the church is bad for your overall health both mentally and physically from other people so i dont think that its just me that experienced this stuff. I truly believe mormonism caused all of my psychological problems, its a dangerous religion and can make you not value life and want a way out of the hell you were born in, its a death cult through and through they honor the dead more than the living.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 11:51PM

Last year my health totally sucked and I didn't ignore it but I thought that it sucked because of me, you know when you think you are in god's church you just ignore the fact that all the pressure of being a TBM is causing your health problems.

Date: September 19, 2017 12:17AM

Exactly i know being active made my health problems worse and more amplified but i just ignored it because i was naive and thought god would bless me if i pushed through and heal me himself. But it never happened i started healing the moment i left and got a non-lds counselor and focused on each thing one by one.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:30AM

When I was a teenage convert, I was made to feel that seeing a mental health practitioner was evil, like it shows that you don't have faith. You were supposed to pray and God would heal your mental health problems. I was suffering from severe anxiety to the point where I broke down in functioning for a while, couldn't attend school. Eventually the anxiety dissipated on it's own, without any medical/psychological help. But it had wreaked terrible havoc on my life, not being treated and people not understanding.

Later a physical health problem prevented me from doing my calling for a few weeks. I was hurt when they didn't understand. They treated me like I was a wimp for not being able to "take a little sickness and pain". I was in a LOT of pain, not a little.

Date: September 19, 2017 10:16AM

Yep mormons never seem to experience a lot of pain and just get confused when i am in it. Its because i never got help because of your stupid teachings.

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 05:16PM

badassadam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep mormons never seem to experience a lot of pain
> and just get confused when i am in it. Its
> because i never got help because of your stupid
> teachings.

First and foremost badassadam, please know that I am sending much love and many hugs your way... we all truly care about you. :-) Although our situations are vastly different, I too am in chronic pain, and have been a pain management patient for almost 20 years, so I definitely understand when you speak of how it literally can suck the life out of a person.

As far as Mormons not experiencing a lot of pain, they most definitely do, however they also so a damn good job of masking it. Look at some of these Utah stats... doesn't surprise me at all:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/living/lisa-ling-mormon-drug-abuse-essay/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/26/utah-mormons-prescription-painkiller-addiction

Faith my ass... just give them their opiates... it's the only thing that makes their agonizing, plastic lives tolerable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 05:17PM by cynful.

Date: September 20, 2017 09:00PM

I have been in chronic pain a WHILE since i was 21 years old and i am just tired this has been no life. There is no honor in this. We all know what the only cure to chronic pain is, some are brave enough to make the jump and some arent. I tried four times and i wish it had been successful each time because things might be getting worse. To be in debilitating pain and to be homeless on top of it is my biggest fear. Let the daanites come and find me they would be doing me a favor.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 01:58PM

Given that I had a younger brother who had a lot of problems like having a stroke at birth and drinking paint thinner as an 18 month old, my parents took us to doctors. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't have. But then a lot of people go to the doctor way too often these days if you ask me. I type medical records. What used to be the ER is now a clinic to many people. We didn't rush off to the ER if we vomited a few times or if we had the sniffles. I type people in the ER every day who show up for any sign or pretend sign of illness.

My dad was overweight, so people would probably call him lazy. I've never known a man who worked so hard. He taught school (ag mechanics) during the day and ran his farm at night. He didn't get summers off as he was over the FFA. When he harvested beets, he'd stay up most of the night harvesting beets with lights and then go teach school in the day time. We worked our asses off, too, and I mean that. So somebody might see my dad and think he's lazy (in fact my nephew called my disabled brother lazy and a fat slob the other day on messaging on fb, but luckily my younger sister it before my brother saw it).

My mother didn't dare get help for anxiety and depression because there was such a stigma, but she really needed it. I can't imagine how my parents afforded to send us all to the dentist regularly, but they did. And we all could have had braces, but I chose not to.

I'm no longer mormon and I have some very significant health issues, but I only go when I absolutely have to and I don't take very good care of myself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 01:59PM by cl2.

Date: September 19, 2017 02:12PM

There is a HUGE stigma for those that deal with depression and mental illness in the church. But i truly believe that everyone in the church is mentally ill whether they admit it or not.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 02:59PM

Mental illness is the Mormon dirty secret. In the 70s and 80s it seemed everybody was putting their children on Ritalin. The adults were using Zoloft. My friend in Utah called Zoloft, "Mormon Candy". I confirmed with other friends, Mormon and NON. Maybe unscientific but I just ran into too many people doing Zoloft. If Zoloft didn't work, they went to lithium.

Date: September 20, 2017 03:04PM

Good lord i was on lithium for a time but it dried me out. I have never really been sure if i have an actual mental illness or i have just been in a ton of pain which causes depression. But i do think they may be right about me having ptsd.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 05:02PM

for desperately needed caffeine, i downed quite a lot of Excedrine, when a good old cup of coffee would have fixed the problem

my kidneys paid for it.

Posted by: Honest tbm ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 06:58PM

I have been so blessed to not have any time to worry about unimportant things like my well being or health. What I worry about is what I can do to be more obedient to the super spiritually powerful local leaders and to do more to disallow any Doubts to enter my mind regarding this most honest and transparent Church that is so full of some much marvelous common sense.

Date: September 20, 2017 09:04PM

We know honest tbm we know your exact routine of a tbm.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:38PM

To honest TBM,
I love your sarcasm and I have to agree with you, the church is BS.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 12:56AM

My health is worse after leaving the church.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:31AM

Many of you suffered through childhoods in which your physical and emotional well-being was not a priority to your parents.My parents weren't perfect, and they had more kids than my mother was emotionally equipped to handle, but I can honestly say that, while birth control would have been a very good idea for them, they did the very best they could with the six kids they had.

Neglecting to seek treatment for medical or mental health conditions of children is something we can probably agree is reprehensible. Historically, the church hasn't placed much faith in psychiatry and in the importance of mental health, often with the underlying assumption that if a person lives righteously,his or her mental health will take care of itself, which I would hope we all know to be a fallacy. I personally haven't seen direct church influence that led to failure to seek medical care for physical ailments, however. Bishops haven't always been forthcoming with financial support for members in need, but that's probably as far as it goes. I don't know of anyone who was dissuaded by an ecclesiastical authority of the LDS church from seeking medical care.

While the church has stigmatized mental health in the past, I haven't seen evidence that members, at least in modern times, have been discouraged from seeking medical care. Sometimes people do stupid things to themselves, then their family members look eksewhere to direct the blame. If the problem is that someone who has been a faithful member lacks the means to seek treatment and the church authorities refuse help, that is something that I would consider to be the fault of the church. If a member stupidly refuses to seek help either because he thinks the Lord will heal him or because he doesn't have faith in doctors, that's his own doing if he's an adult. It wasn't church indoctrination that brought it on.

Your situation is different, Adam. You're in need of tangible support and the church isn't doing much if anything to help.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 07:42PM

Back in the 1960's a kid in our ward who had serious type 1 diabetes attended an LDS Education Week (is that still a thing?) lecture where the instructor was on a whacked out natural health good/prescription meds bad rant and told him to change his diet (he was overweight) and stop his insulin cold turkey. He did, went into a diabetic coma and suffered brain damage. I don't think there was ever a lawsuit over it. Typical.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 09:14PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the 1960's a kid in our ward who had
> serious type 1 diabetes attended an LDS Education
> Week (is that still a thing?) lecture where the
> instructor was on a whacked out natural health
> good/prescription meds bad rant and told him to
> change his diet (he was overweight) and stop his
> insulin cold turkey. He did, went into a diabetic
> coma and suffered brain damage. I don't think
> there was ever a lawsuit over it. Typical.

I heard about that when i was in medical school. It should have been a whopping lawsuit.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 08:23PM

My mental health, yes. I was raised to believe that psychiatry was wrong and only the gospel could cure the troubled mind.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 12:17AM

I cannot function without 8 or 9 hours sleep every night. But I would see Mormon women going on 4 hours or less trying to do it all for their kids, grandkids, husband, job, and church. I even knew a woman who would slip away from work early so she could get a start on her canning which would keep her up until 2 or 3 am. She'd be worthless at work the next day. Buying canned fruit at the store was way cheaper when you factored in all the time, travel to and from the orchard, and gasoline. If she were retired with nothing else to do all day I'd say BRAVO but this was nuts!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.