Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 11:30PM

True Story

This took place two or three years ago.

Temple president's wife took the grand kids to the temple. The walked around the Denver Temple grounds and she talked about the importance of the Temple. They then had the grand kids touch the outside walls of the temple. She asked them to fell the spirit of the temple. Then she asked them to make a commitment that as they got older they would keep worthy to go to the temple. Gradually each child said they could feel the spirit of the building and yes they would be worthy.

Two weeks later she was killed in a car accident. 6 months later the temple President remarried another woman.

Bottom line. You can feel the spirit of the temple by touching the outside walls. Wow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 04:40AM

.........and now those children will feel they must 'honour' the commitment they made to their now departed grannie. Nice mind fu**.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 05:00AM

At the Medford, Oregon temple open house, many people walked up and touched the outside wall. Polished granite has an interesting feel to it. I guess you could talk a child into believing it has a "spirit."

Poor little kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 05:02AM by kathleen.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 02:23PM

Touching stone walls can often be quite a lot of fun - https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=rock+climbing

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 02:43PM

If I touch a magic stone wall, I'd better be transported back in time and meet a sexy red-headed Scot who calls me "Sassenach."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:55AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 08:14AM

Here ... touch the outside wall of this port-a-potty.
It's a magical place that makes you feel better.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 08:18AM

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 10:58AM

yeah.. me too ..

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 08:21AM

I sure viewed the temple different before I went inside.

My sister, who hasn't been active mormon since her teens, thought the Brigham temple was so beautiful. And I told her, "But I KNOW what goes on inside."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 09:07AM

The first time I visited Wrigley Field, I touched the walls.
Not out of some attempt to feel the "spirit" of the place, but just to make it more real to me.

Even so, I'd venture that doing so gave me more of a "spiritual" experience than anything I ever felt in any mormon temple. As I touched the girders inside, my imagination let loose, and I could "see" Ernie Banks on the field, and Babe Ruth putting one over the ivy in left. For a lover of baseball, it was "heaven." And I didn't have to learn any secret handshakes.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 10:55AM

Wow. That woman was virtuoso in the art of indoctrination.

Touch the wall of the temple!

What a lesson in how to induce feelings in yourself out of thin air! Very important if you are Mormon because they need to perfect that technique of feeling induction in order to reach the final pinnacle of the arrogant/ignorant state of TBMism that will define them.

I found touching the walls of the Sun tavern in SLC back in the seventies worked even better. At least there you could feel the pulsation of the beat of the music and you didn't have to induce anything. Real life pretty much hit you over the head. There was no faking it from then on out.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:52PM

I asked a temple worker who this guy married in such a short time. She said the person was a woman temple worker.

Still seems like a short period of time between death and remarriage to put any closure on the dead person and the relationship they had. But then he was temple president so maybe he knew something we did not know. Maybe she came back and told him, marry so and so.

Strange things happen in the temple, so I am told.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 01:02PM

It took my DIL's Dad four months to get a new wife after her mom died.

There seemed to be a rash of cancer deaths for a couple of years in our ward. The new wife (within months) was generally 20 years younger, had bigger boobs and nicer clothes.

Former bishops were the worst offenders.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:10PM

Yeah, this happens all the time. My husband's uncle was married a few months after his wife of 25 years died of cancer, my daughter's friend lost her mom and her dad remarried 3 months later and moved them all to another town, my mom had a friend whose husband died and she remarried his best friend a few months later ... I could probably go on but all were LDS.

It's almost like they are more devoted to the idea of being married than their actual spouse and once they lose the spouse, it's time to re-cast the role, and as quickly as possible. Single people have no place in the church as adults so maybe that is part of the problem too - the person just wants to get back to their former status. But I thought it was particularly cruel in the case of my daughter's friend. She was only 14 at the time and had underage siblings too, all of whom were surely traumatized at losing their mom who was one of the sweetest women on earth. To not only replace her, but move the kids away from all their friends and family in such a short period of time was heartless, IMO.

'

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 12:49PM

A cheaper lesson.

Take the entire family to the nearest Marriott Hotel lobby. Everyone sit real still and quietly in the big chairs and sofas. After a minute rush everybody out of the lobby. Now you've experienced the so called spirituality of the celestial room.

Another one.

Go to your nearest ward chapel. Touch the prickly carpet-fiber walls. Then mention that the McTemples have the same crappy walls and building materials because the church is cheap.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 12:59PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A cheaper lesson.
>
> Take the entire family to the nearest Marriott
> Hotel lobby. Everyone sit real still and quietly
> in the big chairs and sofas. After a minute rush
> everybody out of the lobby. Now you've experienced
> the so called spirituality of the celestial room.
>
>

To make it even more authentic and spiritual, before you all sit down, ask a bell hop to please walk up to you all after five minutes to ask that you leave. You will have then captured the full essence of the celestial room. Good times!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 01:30PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To make it even more authentic and spiritual,
> before you all sit down, ask a bell hop to please
> walk up to you all after five minutes to ask that
> you leave. You will have then captured the full
> essence of the celestial room. Good times!

Good idea.
It still won't be like the authentic temple experience, though. Most Marriotts I've been in have far nicer materials and furniture than any temple...you might have to go sit in a Motel 6 lobby to get the "authentic" experience. :)

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 11:42PM

Don't forget, you need to have a bunch of grumpy old people sitting around glaring at you to make sure you're being "reverent."

Posted by: Gern Blanston ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 02:17PM

Back when the Las Vegas Hilton had the Star Trek: The Experience attraction I had a spiritual experience that blew my mind.

Part of the "experience" was going on a full scale realistic mockup of the Enterprise Bridge (Next Generation version). Man, if I had felt the same way in a temple celestial room that I felt on that Enterprise bridge i'd be a TBM still today.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 02:42PM

Hey Gern! Me Too!

I damn near cried at that venue. Scratch that I teared up.
i don't buy the trinkets, do the costumes or attend the Science fiction conferences but I did identity with Gene Roddenberry's stories of adventures, ethics and morals via venturing out into space.

Space travel has been in my blood since the day I picked up "Star Gate" by Andre Norton (a she BTW) back when I was in junior high.

The difference is my Star Trek bridge visit is that I knew it wasn't real but was a possibility of a future path for humanity.

My emotions were for the hopeful possibilities of a better future.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 11:39PM

That just floored me. To this day, I think of that as one of the most amazing "experiences" I've had.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 01:11PM

My spiritual experience at this venue was in the "10 Forward" restaurant area. The Andorian was hot and the Klingon was smoking hot. Great strength in the loins. Major spiritual experience without touching anything, unfortunately.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 02:26PM

You want a spiritual experience?

Last month I stood next to the oldest living Tuskegee airman as a P-51 Mustang, painted in his WW II markings, flew past with its thundering Packard-built Rolls Royce Merlin engine shaking the ground.

I didn't need to touch anything to feel the emotion.....

Posted by: Anon370855V ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 02:48PM

You win, Chick. You win.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:10PM

And probably everyone is talking about how spiritual and prompted she must have been to inspire her grandchildren before her death like that ...

Date: September 19, 2017 01:37PM

yes

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 02:41PM

Five months was average in our older LDS regional singles group, for a high priest with money. This is still the case, these days.

A few months ago, my friend just got married to a former bishop, after only 4 months. It was hard on their children. But my friend said, "If I don't marry him right how, someone else will."

Our former bishop's wife died recently--3 months for him.

My neighbor's college professor husband--married 4 months after
she died, but they were "engaged after 6 weeks.

Correct! 20 years younger, bigger (often fake) boobs, and all of them were THIN.

In defense of the men, the women were extremely aggressive, and overtly sexy. I knew a lot of these people, and I asked them about their "courtships.

Every one of these women used men's faith as a manipulaive tool:

"God told me I am supposed to be your wife!"

"M-m-m-m! D'ya feel the spirit? Do you feel THAT? That's the spirit telling you to marry me--fast!"

"Better to marry than to burn."

Actually, our motto in the LDS singles, was "How quickly we are replaced." In many cases, we were replaced even before we were divorced. My neighbor's new wife was checking the obituaries, waiting for his sick wife to die.

I do think this attitude is unique to Mormons. There are some great non-Mormon single people out there, with their heart in the right place.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 03:08PM

Your post about the manipulation reminded me of something a TBM friend told me.

His mom was worried that she would die before her husband. Why? She knew several women who looked through the obituaries for women who had died. They attended the funeral under the guise of being an old friend of the deceased. They cozied up to the widower and followed up with more expressions of condolences with an invitation to lunch.

Don't laugh. Several women in her circle had found new husbands that way.

Posted by: hatmagic ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 02:44PM

Peoria, AZ stake. This "go to the lodge and touch the walls" to feel the spirit, is part of the stake "theme" this year.

Once a week for a month, every member, whether they can go inside or not, is encouraged to go to the lodge, walk around, give the walls a little squeeze, and feel the power....

Incredible as it sounds, this is suppose to help members with their testimonies. My TBM family went and did this.
And in November, the stake wants members to go and feel out the lodge walls again.
Mormonism is just so much fun!!! "The Magic Kingdom".

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 02:56PM

my best spiritual experience: Sex.

2nd.: Visiting the site of the MMM, inhaling the pain of the victims, Knowing that tscc, starting with BY, had done their best to cover it up/justify it.
My experience with the MMM started with hearing the NPR story of J. Brooks' death, including a short telling of why they were mentioning it. My testimonkey was on a straight-line descent ever since that date, even tho I first heard about the MMM at Ricks many, many years previously.

Posted by: The Voice of Reason ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 12:46AM

I find it creepy how quickly mormons remarry. Every divorced or widowed member I know has quickly remarried.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.