Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 08:50AM

So if the big-whigs are general authorities, does that make the lowest of the low in their church "Specific Authorities"?

Where does that even come from "General Authority"?

I know the context of what it means, but truly, what does that mean in their minds? How did that come about?

Are ward conferences really Specific Conferences? Is there a better antonym for "general"?

In this Church of name tag wearers, it would be fun to have that engraved on one, "Elder Cheezus...Specific Authority". Confuse the whole lot of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 09:30AM by cheezus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 09:15AM

There is a history to the term, 'general authority' but I cannot recall what it is right now. General conference comes right from Methodism although a conference in the United Methodist church is much more than listening to a bunch of guys talk ad nauseum. Actual business is conducted in Methodist conferences that affect church policy.

Joseph Smith had a fascination with Methodism. The terms justification and sanctification in Section 20 of the D & C come right from Wesley.

Posted by: yuckyuck ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 09:28AM

:) I like your read on it, but what it brings to mind (for what's in their minds) is something like "General Custer," as if they now share the common last name of "Authority."

...and the conferences:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/entertainment-george_armstrong_custer-american_west-general_custer-battle_of_little_bighorn-saloon-cgon1029_low.jpg

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 11:06AM

I have authoritah?

I wouldn't know about big wigs. Guys who refuse to accept the reality of their own church are just self-deluded fools. Who is the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows him?

The truth is my authority. What's theirs?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 01:04PM

Its a cop out to protect themselves from ANYTHING. Oh dont take anything i say seriously i just speak generally as part of the general authorities. And i am not living off everybody elses money i am just an innocent general authority.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:16PM

I also call them the Authorities of Generalities. Drives other family members crazy, but it is funny to me. It helps to play with the words to show them as the fools they are. Rich fools, but fools.

Date: September 17, 2017 05:02PM

I dont know why it bothers me so much that they are rich but it just does. Maybe because its off of others labor.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 11:31PM

A father has specific authority over his home.

A bishop has specific authority over his ward and no where else.

A stake president has specific authority over his stake and no where else.

A general authority can establish a ward or stake anywhere in the world. He is not restricted.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 11:43PM

Beneath him, do we get a Major Authority? How about Captain Authority--some kind of superhero? Lieutenant Authorities? Sergeant Authorities?

Me? I'm just a Private Authority.

Date: September 17, 2017 11:48PM

I'm a general haha.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 10:02AM

In a fair world, General Authority would be saluting Private Authority.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 04:54PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.