Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Bridezillas ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 05:39PM

I work in a modest formal/wedding boutique in the morridor and I am stumped.

Our teenagers are generally sweet and fun to work with, but our brides are usually nightmares. What gives? Do garments turn them into complete cranks? Does wearing them screw with their psychology/personality?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 05:43PM

My eyes made me hate garments. My father wore them around the house like a yahoo. I never wore them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 05:43PM by donbagley.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 11:06PM

I still remember my father walking around the house in his garments like it was yesterday. Im still traumatized from it all.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 05:13PM

You and me both B.A.M.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 07:00PM

The frustration gets to them. Imagine, having to look perfect, and find a perfect dress that will hide your arms and collar bone and ankles yet still let you look beautiful underneath all those robes and aprons and such. The temple brides have their hair done in a smooth, plastic-looking cone, encrusted with hair spray, to withstand the weight and chafing of the hat and veil, which covers their face.

After being shuffled through the temple, and covered up in an ugly costume, and being sealed to a cult in the "new and everlasting covenant" which means eternal polygamy, after fumbling with your locker and key, so your clothes won't get stolen, after hurrying then waiting in line to be photographed in front of an ugly fake door, on hard granite steps, in the blazing sun, and sweating through your garments and makeup, when the ordeal is finally over, the last thing you feel like doing is having sex.

It's no accident that the garments--and the whole religion--makes you hate your body. We are born into sin. Blame it on Eve.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 07:41PM

No I love my body and thats why I hated wearing garments, they're ugly.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 11:30PM

"Who the hell wouldn't love your body?" asked the King of Denmark, on the occasion of Saucie McSauce's opening night at the Stargazer Lounge and boulangerie.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 11:34AM

The King of Denmark and the Stargazer Lounge.... what a night, talk about a double whammy, that was it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 07:56PM

Nothing had any influence that would "make" me hate my body. Never occurred to me to hate my body.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 11:13PM

what they represented, but I didn't hate my body.

To me, the garmies symbolized being part of something that mattered to me at the time. Kind of like making Eagle Scout. Those in the "know" understood how special a thing it was.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 11:49AM

(for couples, married or not):

If wearing them Daytime wasn't bad enough, you're supposed to wear them at nite when snuggling-cuddling with your partner...

Yup church comes Before Relationships with others, the Dead get 1st priority over the living!

THAT'S A CULT!!

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 01:15AM

re GNPE's comment: yeah; that's how I feel. ugh and grrr.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 01:17AM

When the missionaries told me about garments AFTER I was baptized, I felt totally deceived. I still think it's a rotten trick to tell investigators about garments after they join. That's the best indicator that you are joining/have joined a cult.

Yup.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:01PM

she tried on many dresses and ended up buying one that she couldn't wear in the temple. She didn't get married. She went through the temple the end of February and went off to her job in Alaska a few days later. I really tend to wonder how she is loving her garments. At least it is cooler up there, but we come from a family of sweaters and she has the gene. I can't help but chuckle about how she is tolerating those garments.

Me, I hated garments the most because they made me sweat more. We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon during a drought. I spent as much as I could in the shade. Amazing how much less I sweat now that I don't wear garments.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:15PM

G's didn't make me hate my body--they made me hate G's!

Ditto cl2 on the sweat. Living in the mid-Atlantic, in the summer you can't avoid sweating, but G's only make it worse if you are a heavy sweater.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:20PM

They mostly made me HOT! In un-air conditioned environments during summer I would lose my mind trying to stay comfortable. I stopped wearing the tops on occasions when I wouldn't be in air conditioning and was amazed at the difference. It didn't take long to just stop wearing them altogether. And having them scrunched up under your bra is no picnic either. As a long-waisted person they were never long enough. The whole idea is pure torture in my book. Of course men don't have to deal with wearing garments under bras nor panty hose. That was equally unjust. Hose just slide off the garments at the most unlikely times.

Oh, yeah, and it has cut down on my laundry considerably.

I didn't hate my body but I hated the clothes I was forced to buy in order to cover the awful garments. And two layers of undergarments makes one look heavier as well.

When the missionaries told me about garments AFTER I was baptized, I felt totally deceived. I still think it's a rotten trick to tell investigators about garments after they join. That's the best indicator that you are joining/have joined a cult.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 09:56PM

The first Mormon I really knew was in the army, and he had gone through very difficult infantry training; Airborne, Ranger, Special Forces (the Green Berets), while wearing his white garments under the reg army-green cotton T-shirt and underwear. I asked him once if somehow the extra layer really worked to wick away perspiration and make him cooler -- this was in the deep South. He said no, a lot of guys assumed he had found some kind of incredible secret method of cooling off by means of an extra t-shirt, but no, he was just really, really hot. Tough guy.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 09:58PM

Note: This was decades ago, before TSCC authorized green cotton garments for wear by servicemen.

Posted by: Anon370855V ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 05:05PM

Nope, I already hate my body. It hates me too! That's why I had a heart attack and now have a bill of 48,000 bucks and that's just for the helluvacopter ride!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 06:36PM

going through the temple pre 1990 made me hate being alive as a MORmON. the MORmON temple garments were a constant reminder of that hatred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75malIL-R6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-w0caqMGsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNBpZ7hsMAU

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.