Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 03:27PM

Im not sure what to think about this situation im kind of in with a lady down the street she will not give up and its the second time its happened to me in my lifetime that i can think of. Is this a common mormon thing to do to say that jesus is talking to them about you and hes telling them what to say to you for guidance. Im really curious about this if anyone has experienced this i would like to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 03:38PM

I have had hard core Christians say that to me a few times in my life. With TBM's typically they tell me they have been moved by the spirit to talk to me or guide me back to the gospel etc.

In my experience Mormons use words like spirit or promptings more then Jesus told me to do it. Most Mormons don't know who Jesus is, so if the lady down the street said she's got a message from Jesus.....well at least she knows about Jesus, but she's still nuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 07:36PM by 64monkey.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 03:41PM

Usually they say: "the Spirit prompted me". At least they did when I was still active. They didn't emphasize Jesus much in those days. Maybe the church is changing, or maybe that particular woman is kind of nutty.

Date: August 16, 2017 03:52PM

She is pretty nutty to say the least and it is not healthy for me to even entertain her. She knows things about me that a person off the street could tell about me and she thinks thats everything.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 03:44PM

People who talk to Jesus are religious.

People who say Jesus talks to them are schizophrenic...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 05:41PM

I agree with Hie. But in the spirit of the post, Jesus told me you both are fucking wonderful. The Boner.

Date: August 16, 2017 06:39PM

Haha nice

Date: August 16, 2017 03:47PM

Its messing with me kind of but atleast it happens to other people so thats a relief to know but she acts like she has a direct channel to jesus when it comes to me but in reality she and jesus arent helping me at all.

Date: August 16, 2017 03:49PM

Is it a high and mighty thing to claim the lord talks to them?

Date: August 16, 2017 03:49PM

Just remember that when she says, "Jesus told me x" it really means, "I want x."

Jesus has nothing to do with it.
And you don't have to do what she wants :)

You could always tell her that if Jesus has a message for you, he can come tell you himself, without the middle-woman. See how that goes over :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 03:50PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: August 16, 2017 03:58PM

Thats what i figured is that it is all about what she wants and jesus has nothing to do with it. I cant even acknowledge jesus cause i feel that puts me in the crazy category with hearing voices and i dont want to be in the crazy category with the mormons and i told her that if god wants to legitimately help me thats fine but i need you to back off and she still wouldnt back off..

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 07:09PM

Badass...Put your two index fingers in a cross out in front of you and say "Get thee hence, Satan!!" This should scare her off.

Date: August 16, 2017 09:26PM

nice! :)

Date: August 17, 2017 03:41PM

Alright but she will never believe shes on the devils side she thinks im the devil.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 05:07PM

Something similar has happened to me. Probably most of you have heard this.
A bishop has claimed that they prayed and Heavenly Father has inspired them to call me to serve as ______ .

Date: August 16, 2017 05:10PM

Oh yea thats happened to me as well but every once in a while there will be a person that gets obsessive about it.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 05:11PM

It is a manipulative attempt to claim that they are right in what they say in an unquestionable way. Basically it's "You can't say I am wrong, god said so".

Date: August 16, 2017 05:26PM

Thats very true i can't counter her because shes with the lord and i am not, she says it to put herself above whatever i say i think to demean me.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 05:12PM

Not that Jesus talked to them about me, but several people I knew over the years had weird religious delusions and thought Jesus talked to them, shortly before they were hospitalized for mental illness. One was a high school teacher I was very close with, another was the mother of a friend. I was young at the time and it was scary. Ignore this lady and her "messages" from Jesus.

Date: August 16, 2017 05:23PM

Alright ill ignore it the best i can she lives on my damn street and she has nine kids and she doesnt work i know shes putting my name in the damn temple and does the weird rituals and i told her to stop praying for me all together cause it makes me feel uncomfortable but she wont quit until i am what she wants me to be a damn mobot or somethin its all very strange and extreme and not healthy for me at all.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 05:57PM

Peyote?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 06:55PM

My father claimed to be conversational with The Holy Ghost. He claimed that HG approved all his actions. This is the kind of gaslighting that Mormon men use against their own families. They can justify any selfish act.

Posted by: jump ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 07:14PM

Get direct with this nutcase.

"Back the fuck off or I'm callin' the cops, social services AND your ex, 'cause I got Satan whisperin' in my ear, and he says you're hanging around too many apostates to make into the CK."

I think it happens to a lot of folks - some nut job wanting power over them. It's how you get them out of your life that matters. If she lays eyes on you after you tell her off, stick two fingers up beside your head like horns and growl. Let her try and report that.

Dispatch:

"1-Baker-12, 1-Baker-12, See the lady at 123 Main reporting a 666. Satan brandished horns and growled. No injuries reported."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 07:35PM

I would tell her (kindly but firmly) to keep her thoughts to herself. She has no business saying things like that to you. Don't tolerate her disrespect.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 09:32PM

She's delusional and a coward, because instead of sharing her feelings with you, she has to pretend she got authority to speak on behalf of the Lord. I had to deal with this several times in the cult. Confronting them worked for me.

Posted by: beanhead ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 10:42PM

Next time she says "jesus told me to give you this message...",

say "That's great. Tell jesus if he has an important message, he needs to come tell me in person." Or you can say something like,

"that's strange, Jesus told me not to listen to other people." or "jesus told me you are controlled by satan." or "I prayed in a sacred grove and jesus told me not to join the mormon church." Be as serious, or as silly, or mean, as you feel appropriate.

The point is, (if you do believe in god/jesus) jesus should talk to you directly. Not scare you by giving messages to random neighbor.

Finally I got to ask, can you move away? Probably it help you recover from the mormon culture if you could get to a bigger city or a less religious area. If you can't, try to get some secular friends where you are- you need shoulders to lean on.

And by the way, you do hear this crapola in the southern usa, but it's from extreme christians. You learn to tune it out and not take it personally or seriously, because you realize the messenger is brainwashed from their extreme church.

Date: August 17, 2017 03:45PM

Im not quite ready to move away quite yet but im getting there.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 10:55PM

Traditional, orthodox Mormonism has a history of de-emphasizing Jesus as a personal relationship that helps you. Bruce McConkie famously slammed a BYU religion teacher, George Pace, who taught students to have a personal relationship with Jesus.

Why? Because that's a hallmark of another form of Christianity--evangelism, the old "walk with Jesus" ideology.

In classic Mormonism, the unique badge of the General Authority is that Jesus Christ speaks to them. This is in contrast to the run-of-the-mill priesthood, which operates on inspiration from Heavenly father boosted by the Holy Spirit.

The above is all about men, of course. Your Jesus-speaker is a woman, which makes her an outlier on all counts.

A woman barely has access to the Holy Spirit, and then only for guidance on which priesthood holder to marry and such. Other than that, all her inspiration is funneled through her priesthood-holding Father and Husband. She can't even go through a curtain without being pulled through after being called by a special secret name which only her husband knows.

This is Agricultural Age power-hoarding and is anachronistic to say the least.

This woman who talks to Jesus is an outlier in so many ways, and yet it is easy to see why she would sort through the gallery of imaginary friends and choose the one which would give her the most accelerant to be taken seriously by you.

It is understandable yet still highly manipulative.

Tell her you'll raise her Jesus communication with your Heavenly Father inspiration paired with a Holy Ghost prompting and prickles on your arm hairs.

Good Luck!

Kathleen

Date: August 17, 2017 02:05PM

I did kind of one up her and told her i had heavenly father on my side against her jesus and i dont think she liked that one bit.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 03:27PM

My stalker did. No joke. Thank goodness that situation is done and gone.

Date: August 17, 2017 03:48PM

Its a very creepy thing isnt it?

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 10:34PM

Beyond. I was doing laundry at a local laundromat, and in he comes rushing towards me. I try to get away, but was unsuccessful. He told me that Jesus told him that I would be at the laundromat, so he knew to find me there. Even as a TBM, I was creeped out by that.

A lot of times he said that Jesus would constantly tell him to keep perusing me even though I was clearly uninterested, and wanted him far away from me.

I kept telling him to leave me alone, and he told me that I was crazy, and Jesus said so too. He line was something like: "He's saying, here is this man that I had picked out for her, anointed to be her husband, and she keeps saying no."

I ended up moving out of my apartment and staying with some friends for a month, but he ended up calling the ward that I used to attend and acted as if he wanted to investigate it. I knew because the missionaries called me (my records were still with that ward) telling me that the guy had reached out to them, and mentioned my name. They asked for the address of where I was staying.

I had to call the police to get him to back off. But getting a job, moving away and changing my phone number is what put an end to it entirely.

Side note: I talked to the (now former) Bishop about the situation, but he took it lightly at first. It wasn't until the day after I called the police and talked to him again that he took it somewhat seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 10:34PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Date: August 18, 2017 08:35AM

She keeps running into me in random places as well so i know how that creepiness goes i almost feel like im living a twilight zone episode. I almost called the cops as well because i told her to back off and she wouldn't she kept calling me the next day she seriously thinks shes on a mission from jesus to help me become who im supposed to be in this life. Im getting creeped out just typing about it uuugh man how am i going to get free of her and live a normal life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.