Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 01:57PM

Next weekend in Provo, a music festival is being held in support of LGBTQ+ people and subjects. It's being publicized by Dan Reynolds, returned missionary and lead singer of Imagine Dragons.

The church has today come out in support of this festival. I guess that's better than telling all members to not support the festival?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/16/imagine-dragons-dan-reynolds-gets-a-boost-for-his-lgbtq-fundraising-concert-from-an-unexpected-source-the-mormon-church/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LGBT ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:45PM

I find the statement in support of this event interesting in that some of the participants are openly critical of the LDS church's policies regarding gays, gay marriage in particular. This includes public statements by Dan Reynolds.

"Dan Reynolds, lead singer of Imagine Dragons, said there’s no compromise in him when it comes to his views on gays in the Mormon Church.

"But he still believes the church might, one day, bend on their strict views against same-sex couples, citing the church’s policy change in 1978 that allowed men of African descent to hold the Priesthood."

https://knpr.org/knpr-discover-music/2017-08/mormon-church-and-lgbtq-youth-focus-new-film-imagine-dragons-singer

As far as I concerned, as long as the LDS church does not respect the relationships of LGBT people, any claim of their respecting the LGBT community is rather hollow.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 03:48PM

PR move that illustrates their hollow credo of "Love the sinner--hate the sin." Its going to take more than that do fix their tarnished image when it comes to LGBT.

Translation:
"We love you--really we do. We just don't see you as equals or deserving of the same rights we have, you sinners. But we really really love you. If you promise to abstain and not act on your needs for love, then we will be happy to have you back--at arms length."

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 04:59PM

I just saw that on my FB Newsfeed posted by a believing member. I'll repeat my comment here.
"I'm not sure how this meshes with those that have been excommunicated from the LDS Church for being gay, etc."

Other issues that do not mesh with this support:

Clear doctrine that is stated in the 1995 Proclamation to the World on the Family

"Gender is an essential characteristic of human identity before, during, and after life on Earth.

Or this clarification by Elder Christofferson Nov 2015, re: Handbook changes

"We recognize that same-sex marriages are now legal in the United States and some other countries and that people have the right, if they choose, to enter into those, and we understand that. But that is not a right that exists in the Church. That’s the clarification.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.